[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ThrashfanBert1994

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

when you will released the unmaker sprite sheet?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

When it's finished, i guess. I don't think DrPyspy want to spoil it while it's unfinished.
ThrashfanBert1994

ah ok, can i try that mod if link is posted as a demo?
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:when you will released the unmaker sprite sheet?
DrPyspy wrote:Not yet, as the sprites still aren't entirely finished.
ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:ah ok, can i try that mod if link is posted as a demo?
No demo yet, I want to get the base features of the mod finished first.

Finally getting around to character portraits. I'm aiming for a style similar to the HUD face, although I'm having some trouble with getting the eyes to look cleaner. What do you guys think of this style? Does it deviate too much from what you'd expect?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Looks all fine, but yeah, eyes are the problem. You may make pupils stare at the center. Also hairs are not brightened too.
Aylah_Stimson

Post by Aylah_Stimson »

That's pretty fuckin' awesome! Yes, I would say the eyes do need some fixing as well, but the style is a bit...not Doom-y? I honestly don't know what I expected. Actually, I do think that could work. It kind of looks like Adrian Carmack's style, maybe. I like it. Good job!
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

The art is very good, but if you're looking to emulate the HUD face, I would recommend a darker palette for the skin tones and a smaller portrait in general. Also, try to avoid "lining" specific features. Doom's art is basically digitized claymation, so aiming for grittiness will likely make your assets fit in like you want.
ThrashfanBert1994

hmmmmm? i wonder
epiccolton26
Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Post by epiccolton26 »

Looking forward to the release of this. :D
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

I always wondered this, what toys are the alpha weapons based on. Considering that id was using sprites made from models already, it would not be a stretch that the alpha weapons where based on toys like the final(other than the shotgun of course)

It would be cool to see what they where made from, so i might be able to acquire a alpha 0.5 rifle and stuff
Gez

Post by Gez »

For the unmaker's exposed brain, you could try to put a layer of boiling magma over it -- like the hole in the Icon of Sin's giant skull.
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

I'd like to suggest making the faces to scale with the original statusbar face first and try scaling it to proportionately fit post-production- I feel that's the biggest problem with the face because it's too smooth (and detailed?) and contrasts with most other sprites. In addition, the lighting on the original Statusbar face looks like it's coming from bottom-center, the reflections growing dimmer and darker as we go up to the forehead. Yours look like the light is right on center which could also be the culprit of the smoothing going on.

Redoing it from smaller dimensions should also give it a crisp, harsh lighting that was on the original statusbar face as well straighten it out if done correctly. However it does look like you have the palette nailed down so it shouldn't be a problem!

(Personally, I'd ditch the neck for an obvious reason)

Anyways, looking forward to its release!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Thanks for your input!
Scripten wrote:The art is very good, but if you're looking to emulate the HUD face, I would recommend a darker palette for the skin tones and a smaller portrait in general. Also, try to avoid "lining" specific features. Doom's art is basically digitized claymation, so aiming for grittiness will likely make your assets fit in like you want.
I'll definitely keep these in mind, especially the part about lining. I'm hoping to be able to define parts of a face without resorting to black outlines.
unRyker wrote:I'd like to suggest making the faces to scale with the original statusbar face first and try scaling it to proportionately fit post-production- I feel that's the biggest problem with the face because it's too smooth (and detailed?) and contrasts with most other sprites. In addition, the lighting on the original Statusbar face looks like it's coming from bottom-center, the reflections growing dimmer and darker as we go up to the forehead. Yours look like the light is right on center which could also be the culprit of the smoothing going on.

Redoing it from smaller dimensions should also give it a crisp, harsh lighting that was on the original statusbar face as well straighten it out if done correctly. However it does look like you have the palette nailed down so it shouldn't be a problem!!
I would like to keep it at it's current resolution, as this is the only place in the mod where the face will be visible, so I want to get the player familiarized with it before having it never show up again. I agree about the lighting, it currently doesn't match the lighting of the original HUD mugshot so I'll be trying to aim for that. I've been working on my shading lately, and I think I've solved my problem with defaulting to center-lighting, so it should be fixed when I get to finishing all the mugshots.

Here are some updates:

Here's some footage at an early attempt at restoring the HUD mini-map. It's current flaws are being really slow to update, and causing the game to drastically slowdown if it updates too fast, or if the player uses the mouse to turn around. Using the old school method of turning with the arrow keys works just fine, but I don't anticipate many people wanting to use that method.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

This is just brilliant, except it sometimes gets glitchy when you turn around!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Some new footage of the minimap. It no longer messes up when turning around at high speeds, and no longer rubber bands. One drawback is that it is slower to update, but it isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”