Project Einherjar - Final-FINAL Release

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Re: Project Einherjar (beta release)

Post by ImpieTwo »

Captain J wrote:At least that mod is based on the direct ancient material, not the name of the project about assassinating the target though. Nothing to worry about, i guess.
I'm not worried about it, I just think it's crazy that two people made Doom mods with the same weird Norse word in the title.

I'm honestly not sure if people are more put off by the cussing than the "shooting girls in the face" thing or vice-versa. I woulda figured the latter this day and age, but strangely I've gotten more comments on the enemies' foul mouths than their gender, which I guess is a good sign.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

If you says so, got any nordic names to replace with? Like Valkyrie or Draugr.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

ImpieTwo wrote: I'm honestly not sure if people are more put off by the cussing than the "shooting girls in the face" thing or vice-versa. I woulda figured the latter this day and age, but strangely I've gotten more comments on the enemies' foul mouths than their gender, which I guess is a good sign.
Well we ARE striving for gender equality, after all.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Wivicer wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote: I'm honestly not sure if people are more put off by the cussing than the "shooting girls in the face" thing or vice-versa. I woulda figured the latter this day and age, but strangely I've gotten more comments on the enemies' foul mouths than their gender, which I guess is a good sign.
Well we ARE striving for gender equality, after all.
In theory. But a lot of people don't seem to get what that means.

Meantime I'm trying to get more reviews for the book, on amazon and elsewhere.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

ImpieTwo wrote:I'm honestly not sure if people are more put off by the cussing than the "shooting girls in the face" thing or vice-versa. I woulda figured the latter this day and age, but strangely I've gotten more comments on the enemies' foul mouths than their gender, which I guess is a good sign.
There is nothing wrong with women serving in the military, both in real life and in a fictional universe.

Good to see a Doom mod of all things tackling an actual feminist issue, even unintentionally! :wink:
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Good to see a Doom mod of all things tackling an actual feminist issue, even unintentionally! :wink:
Heh, it's not entirely unintentional. I guess I just like to weed out the hypocrites who would say stuff like what you said about women in the military, but then turn around and say you can't punch a girl in the nose when she does something that would earn a boy the same treatment. Those are the people I'm referring to. The book has its roots in that sorta thing as well, but I kept it in the backseat as much as I could. I hate politics in entertainment.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Results of death or injury is equally unisex, after all! Haha!

...Seriously, though. Some Politicians and SJWs should take a chill pill for this matter. Male and Female are both human, mortal.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Very well done mod, really liked the SS1/Wolf3D aesthetic.
Though it does feel weird to see the TriOptimum logo everywhere, makes me think if that government-dictator is working with them or something (as if SHODAN wasn't already bad enough).
The bosses get REALLY easy when you save up rockets for them, took me not even a minute for the good doctor to collapse.
The enemies, both bosses and regular mooks also kinda rely a bit too much on hitscan based weapons, even some of the projectile based enemies/bosses shoot hitscanners as well.
The knife seems a tiny bit overpowered, it's literally a high powered railgun that shoots through enemies and has unlimited ammo (if used properly).

Anyway, i didn't really like the weapon sprites a lot, so i did something.
It's not really that great since i'm kinda bad at spriting, but hey, if anyone wants it.
I also changed a few of the sounds and replaced the armor helmets with shards, just incase.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n3dxl ... _addon.pk3

Credits :

Code: Select all

Armor Shard
Sprites: id Software
Sprite Edit: Infirnex

Pistol
Freedoom's Pistol sprite

Rocket Cannon
DoomNukem

SPAS12
YukesVonFaust
Z.Franz.

M16
Submitted: JoeyTD
Sprites: Terminator Rampage
Sprite Edit: JoeyTD, Xim

Scattergun
Eriance
Demon Eclipse

UZI
Mike12
Sgt. Shivers
Captain Toenail
Captain J

Sounds
- Navaro
- Magmacow
- Valve
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I'm digging those weapons! Except her bare arm skins needs some polish, they just goes full-bland.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

I dunno why you made the pipe shotgun so... obviously not made by hand. You need to get some jankier-looking sprites, it's an improvised weapon. Isn't there a janky single-barreled break-action on Realm667 somewhere? That'd probably work pretty well.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Captain J wrote:I'm digging those weapons! Except her bare arm skins needs some polish, they just goes full-bland.
Yea, i basically just blurred the old hand sprites and recolored them to look like they're wearing gloves, not really my best skills.
twinkieman93 wrote:I dunno why you made the pipe shotgun so... obviously not made by hand. You need to get some jankier-looking sprites, it's an improvised weapon. Isn't there a janky single-barreled break-action on Realm667 somewhere? That'd probably work pretty well.
Well, i couldn't find one that's centered, though maybe i'm not searching hard enough.
I'll see if anything comes up.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

It's a nice gesture, but the guns are too hi-tech for my liking in general. I didn't really establish in the mod's story that the bombs fell in the mid-90s and humanity has a lot of tech catch-up to do in a lot of areas. The Einherjar stuff is the most hi-tech thing in Midgard: the guns would all be a bit more rustic, probably no sleeker than anything available in the 80s or early 90s, considering a lot of metal had to be recycled for equipment to survive nuclear winter. The gloves and sleeves definitely need work, too, and the hands all clash in general.

Really I think it'd be best for a local sprite artist to take the ones I used originally and just touch them up -- make the skin color a little less washed-out, for example - instead of taking whatever's available on the forums and trying to match it. I especially wanted to get away from the generic doomguy hands because they're so overused.

But ultimately I went with my hand choices for a couple reasons: make it feel like a 90s shooter (like I try to do with all my mods), give her a set of guns where she's holding the pistol the way a trained gunman would actually hold it, and use a weapon set that hadn't been used much before (if at all).

I did debate whether to keep the bullets hitscan or make them fast projectiles. I might still experiment at a later date, but I can't mod much at the moment due to medical shit preventing me from sitting for extended periods. If I end up doing a follow-up mod I'll play around with it and see if I like it better, and maybe include it as a separate wad in case people prefer the old hitscan style.

I discovered that the ballistic knife, while powerful, can be problematic as well. In the heat of a firefight it's not the best idea to use it since it's so slow and has to be retrieved each time. And if you forget to pick up your blades afterward, or can't find them again, or fired them through a fence into an unreachable area....well, shit. Plus some enemies have resistance to it (like the armored ladies) or are totally immune (like the robots/cyborgs).

All the enemies are pretty easily killed, including the bosses like you said, but it's sorta intentional. I didn't want human bosses that took cartoonish amounts of damage, and I tried to put emphasis on enemies that were believably squishy but could really wreck your day.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

ImpieTwo wrote:It's a nice gesture, but the guns are too hi-tech for my liking in general. I didn't really establish in the mod's story that the bombs fell in the mid-90s and humanity has a lot of tech catch-up to do in a lot of areas. The Einherjar stuff is the most hi-tech thing in Midgard: the guns would all be a bit more rustic, probably no sleeker than anything available in the 80s or early 90s, considering a lot of metal had to be recycled for equipment to survive nuclear winter. The gloves and sleeves definitely need work, too, and the hands all clash in general.
Well, i did say i wasn't a Picasso in spriting, just putting stuff out incase people wants it.

Although, too Hi tech?
I actually tried my best to fit in the weapons like the original, the Raven being a Beretta, the Gungnir an M4 (is it supposed to be a BAR though? The pickup sprites and the view sprites disconnect REALLY confused me.), Thunder as SPAS, and that illegal weapon as Uzi.
I think even the M4 i'm using is a cleaned up version of the original TR sprite, so there's something.

The original grenade launcher sprites kinda did tricked me into seeing it as a scifi-ish weapon, what with all the green scope and the purple button thing on the sides, the name Frag Cannon confusing me even further, but i guess it's more of an MGL-M79 hybrid thing, eh?

And then there's the fact that i can't seem to find a cobbled up shotgun sprite for the scattergun, though now i may have to go on a hunt in the Spriting Carnival for a bit.
ImpieTwo wrote: But ultimately I went with my hand choices for a couple reasons: make it feel like a 90s shooter (like I try to do with all my mods), give her a set of guns where she's holding the pistol the way a trained gunman would actually hold it, and use a weapon set that hadn't been used much before (if at all).
I understand.

Good thing i did put an extra hand sprite bit in the pistol to make it look like 2 hands are using it, though i guess it's not really noticable.

Yea, but Terminator Rampage's? Aren't they a bit too off?
Like i see some of the weapon sprites being grainy and not widescreen-friendly, with some of them cutting off at the side (which is the actual main trigger that caused me to do the weapon addon in the first place, besides the BAR/M4 thing).
ImpieTwo wrote: I did debate whether to keep the bullets hitscan or make them fast projectiles.
I can see something like Wildweasel's Nazis tracers being used, a really fast tracer that you can track enemies with and avoid if you're fast enough.
I think a couple of new mods this month is also using the tracer thing.
ImpieTwo wrote: I discovered that the ballistic knife, while powerful, can be problematic as well. In the heat of a firefight it's not the best idea to use it since it's so slow and has to be retrieved each time. And if you forget to pick up your blades afterward, or can't find them again, or fired them through a fence into an unreachable area....well, shit. Plus some enemies have resistance to it (like the armored ladies) or are totally immune (like the robots/cyborgs).
Like i said, "used properly".
I only used guns when the chances are stacked against me, which is to say thankfully a lot of times.
Though i still maxed out most of the common ammo at the end, and i'm playing on Amazon Queen.
ImpieTwo wrote: All the enemies are pretty easily killed, including the bosses like you said, but it's sorta intentional. I didn't want human bosses that took cartoonish amounts of damage, and I tried to put emphasis on enemies that were believably squishy but could really wreck your day.
Well, if that's the case, then why not add variables to them to make them more threatening without having to resort to adding more HP?
The boss could dodge, the environments could be dangerous, their weapons bullethell, tricks or traps before defeating them.
I mean, i really was expecting to die to the good doctor, what with her being the big bad gal of this mod, only to plug a few rockets in her and ending the game in a simple run.
Though i guess that's why the rockets are made rare, huh?

I kinda did find the scattergun a bit useless after i found the Thunder, is it supposed to be like a more SSG spread + close range damage thing compared to the normal Doom shotgun accurate + speed of the Thunder?
I was hoping to use it that way, before finding out that the scattergun's single shell-slow firerate use wasn't really that fun to use in a group compared to the more speedy more shell outage that is the Thunder.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

ZikShadow wrote: I think even the M4 i'm using is a cleaned up version of the original TR sprite, so there's something.
lol Yes, it totally is. I'm completely blind.

There is a bit of a mismatch with the pickups and graphics, which I regret. A graphic touch-up would help with that for sure.

And I did notice the second hand on your pistol, but then I go back to the "I don't want Doomguy hands" issue. I like the idea, too, of the photoreal hands and such because a lot of DOS-era FPS games used them.

I was thinking of the tracer thing from Nazis too, except in Nazis they're so fast they may as well be hitscan. Though it does make the bullet travel a bit more true to life.

The final boss does dodge, too, usually when she's injured, much like a lot of the common enemies. I could probably have Althea do it, too, now that I think of it.

The Scattergun really is kinda never used again once you get better weaponry, since it's supposed to be an emergency gun. I think if I make a sequel I could probably find ways to prolong its life a bit, or maybe remove it altogether. It's mostly just a part of the character, since she can improvise weapons when necessary. I could probably make the spread much wider and pump a bit faster so it'd be effective against large groups. The Thunder's cluster is pretty close by comparison.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

ImpieTwo wrote: The Scattergun really is kinda never used again once you get better weaponry, since it's supposed to be an emergency gun. I think if I make a sequel I could probably find ways to prolong its life a bit, or maybe remove it altogether. It's mostly just a part of the character, since she can improvise weapons when necessary. I could probably make the spread much wider and pump a bit faster so it'd be effective against large groups. The Thunder's cluster is pretty close by comparison.
I was thinking that the assembled weapon could be replaced to something else, problem is that i couldn't really think of anything that other weapons haven't got the position for.

Sniper is a possibility, unfortunately we already got the knife and the assault rifle for accuracy.
It could be a flamethrower that goes through enemies and burns them? But then the shotguns would've been better for groups.
Maybe the Uzi? Have it be assembled through parts for how OP it is? The Raven is pretty much rendered useless though the moment you acquire it.
A taser perhaps to stun enemies for that quick escape? Though i see it more as an inventory item than an actual weapon.
Things like a gas powered debris blower/weapons that shoot bolts of heated metal would probably be silly and too scifi.
Water based weapons like harpoon/spear guns would be cool against underwater enemies, though i'm not even sure that sharks or divers are a thing in the mod/novel.

Mmm. I guess the ol' SSG-style would have to do.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”