[WIP] RetroShader =Computer Friendly!= Update 4

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
torridgristle

[WIP] RetroShader =Computer Friendly!= Update 4

Post by torridgristle »

GZDoom Dev Build

Tired of GZDoom's sterile smoothness? So am I. There's just something aesthetically pleasing about low colour and low resolution graphics, and this shader does just that.
Spoiler: Screenshots
Download
RetroShader.pk3
Update 4: Daring Dingo (The User-Friendly Update)
(13.11 KiB) Downloaded 4043 times
Instructions:
This replaces the Lens Distortion shader in the recent GZDoom dev builds, so enable Lens Distortion under Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Preferences. While you're there, set Sector Light Mode to Software. To make lights extra pronounced you can go to OpenGL Options -> Dynamic Light Options and set the Light Size to 2.

Customization:
Open up the PK3 in Slade and open lensdistortion.fp, you'll now see a neat list of variables you can change. Enable or disable effects with a simple 1 or 0, no more copy and pasting shaders in and out of files.

Additional Fun:
To get PlayStation vertex jiggles in GZDoom, open gzdoom.pk3, navigate to shaders/glsl/main.vp, and in a new line after "gl_Position = ProjectionMatrix * eyeCoordPos;" add "gl_Position.xy = floor(gl_Position.xy/gl_Position.w*(1./0.015))*0.015*gl_Position.w;//The Vertex Jiggler" Setting 0.015 lower will lower the jiggle, setting is higher will increase the jiggle. This affects sprites, HUDs, menus, and HUD messages as well.
Spoiler: Credits
Trusty McLegit

Re: [WIP] RetroShader =Computer Friendly!= Update 4

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Dude this thing is fucking awesome! A couple things you can do to make the experience more true to classic doom is to set tonemap mode to palette, as well as set cl_capfps to 1 in the console.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Nice! It is fun seeing all the mods coming out of the post-processing code now that it has been released. Maybe in the future, we might get a platform for custom post-processing shaders that will actually be officially supported for mods.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Here's some video of the Playstation style vertex jiggles, as it's basically impossible to capture in screenshots:

Nash

Post by Nash »

torridgristle wrote:To make lights extra pronounced you can go to OpenGL Options -> Dynamic Light Options and set the Light Size to 2.
Just as a "by the way", this setting has been removed and will be absent in future versions of GZDoom. :D

EDIT: Oh god the vertex jiggling really does look just as awful as how I remember it looking on the PlayStation. Now all you need to complete the look is the ugly-ass perspective texture distortion. Good job. :P
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

I've modified the vertex jiggler since then, but I've lost interest in it.

Code: Select all

gl_Position = ProjectionMatrix * eyeCoordPos;
if ( gl_Position.w == 1 )//The vtexCoord Jiggler Disabled
		{
		vTexCoord = vTexCoord;
		}
else//The vtexCoord Jiggler Enabled	
{
	vTexCoord = floor(vTexCoord*(gl_Position.w*0.9))/(0.9*gl_Position.w);
}
if ( gl_Position.w == 1 )//The gl_Position Jiggler Disabled
		{
		gl_Position.xy = gl_Position.xy;
		}
else//The gl_Position Jiggler Enabled
{
//	gl_Position.xy = floor(gl_Position.xy*0.8)*(1/0.8);
	gl_Position.xy = floor(gl_Position.xy*(gl_Position.w*0.8))*(1/(gl_Position.w*0.8));
}
Can't say I'm pleased that someone is deciding that I shouldn't be able to adjust the size or intensity of GL lights for my own personal experience, the settings in lights.pk3 were arbitrarily designed to begin with.
SigFloyd

Post by SigFloyd »

Just having the pixelated shader by itself is a goddamn dream come true.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Absolutely awesome, now I can have that "Is that a nazi or a potted plant" feeling without having low resolution. I feel like I should combine this with the most fancy and visual map / mod, just for the sake of irony.

Any chance you can make a version with even more pixilation?
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

For me, the weapon sprites don't scale correctly and have "swimming" pixels and reduced detail, even though I set the aspect ratio in the pk3 to the correct value (16:10).
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

...this plus the new bloom is everything I've always wanted in a modernized Doom.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This should so much end up in the official release of GZDoom!
Nash

Post by Nash »

dpJudas, how about a retro/PlayStation mode in GZDoom? X-P
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Sorry, I have no plans adding such a thing. GZDoom does accept feature suggestions if they come with a pull request though. :)

One of the reasons I want to extend GLDEFS with support for screen space shaders is to allow stuff like this without requiring it to be part of gzdoom itself.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

dpJudas wrote:GZDoom does accept feature suggestions if they come with a pull request though. :)
Can someone take care of that? :D
JPL

Post by JPL »

dpJudas wrote: One of the reasons I want to extend GLDEFS with support for screen space shaders is to allow stuff like this without requiring it to be part of gzdoom itself.
I definitely support this route, for any visual treatment that isn't from the standard post-processing toolbox (the way, say, tone mapping and bloom are). Let mods create all the cool wild stuff that stretches beyond what an engine should do out-of-the-box.

Return to “Shaders”