[v0.5] A Boy And His Barrel - It's slime time

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rexen
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Home
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Demo] A Boy And His Barrel

Post by Rexen »

I made a simple map (in UDMF whoops) that sort of servers the purpose on showing maps the bare bones of making a map. (Might actually make it a proper level). Also I think it might be best if we have a tutorial episode that explains how the mod works (using acs and udmf of course).
Attachments
BAHBMAP.wad
Replaces MAP02
(51.39 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

This is incredibly cute, and it makes me happy. Mapping isn't really my forte, but I would certainly love to submit one if I can muster the motivation to actually finish it.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

I'll definitely be doing some form of map for this, I couldn't not make one after being in the stream where ideas for this were drafted.

Regarding the music for the wad, you might have noticed that the music is shifted into Major key, gotten from this thread on doomworld https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-gener ... -to-major/ - during the stream, we found a program which could convert MIDIs automatically, which unfortunately costed $15. So during the stream, I bought the program specifically for this wad. So, if anyone needs a MIDI converted into major, just ask me about it, give me the .mid and I'll give you the converted one back.

EDIT: I should mention, please don't use any MIDIs that change key, the program is designed to work with one key throughout so it won't work if a key change is involved. Sorry about that.
Matt
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Is there any hope for a pull function when you accidentally slip the barrel into a corner, or worse, like ~31 units away from the corner?
Rexen

Post by Rexen »

Vaecrius wrote:Is there any hope for a pull function when you accidentally slip the barrel into a corner, or worse, like ~31 units away from the corner?
Maybe make this the fist alt fire.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

This needs to continue being a thing.
I can already see all the Puzzle elements you can implement in this mod.

Also the Barrel gets stuck on walls :(
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

jazzmaster9 wrote:Also the Barrel gets stuck on walls :(
While a pull function would definitely be helpful, it might improve the physics some to give the barrel +SLIDESONWALLS, which will let the barrel slide against walls in the same way as the player. Otherwise walls tend to be "sticky" to objects.

EDIT: Yeah the physics feel quite a bit better with +SLIDESONWALLS set. It is possible to nudge it away from walls also by bumping it while strafing away from the wall, but this is a bit weird to do.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hope there's some items that effects on the barrel waifu as well! Such as box of rad chocolate! ;)
Cage

Post by Cage »

Now you're thinking with Barrels.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Updated to 0.1.2. Changelog:

- Violet's height is now 32. A better, rounder number than the previous 42. :?
- Violet now has the +SLIDESONWALLS flag.
- Player's MaxStepHeight is now 23. This makes it less easy for you to walk on top of the barrel accidentally.
- NEW BERRY FLATS and FALLS! Courtesy of DRL333. These HEAL Violet if you push her onto the berry slime.
- MAP01 is now UDMF, also updated so it's less Imageable.
- Those force field textures lol. Recolored the blue ones to um, actually work in the new palette.
- Violet doesn't go flying when she dies now, her death state now calls A_NoBlocking so the projectiles spawned don't make her zoom off in a random direction.
- Violet no longer dies if the player gets themselves killed, instead her status is updated.
- Violet's health counter changes to a redder color if she's critical.
Rexen

Post by Rexen »

I made another map that was actual made to be a legit puzzle, showing off the force shield. Now I went with blue because I thought that was the logical one to use. This demo puzzle has the puzzle logic setup but its not pretty looking like your normal doom maps.
Attachments
FSDEMO.wad
(22.47 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Thanks for the contribution, Rexen! Works a charm. I don't think you need the healing slime in there in a map with no hazards apart from the player but apart from that, solid. It would likely need to be opened up and detailed a bit, but I can see it working. Cheers! :D

Also, since it's still early days in the project yet, I just figured I'd put something out there: With the addition of a single actor flag (+PICKUP), Violet is actually able to pick up items. Before I commit the change, I want to just clear with everyone whether that's a good idea or not. On one hand, it means medikits and stimpacks and even armor pickups can serve to heal and protect her, but she can also pick up ammo and waste it since she never uses it. Keys too might be a problem. (Of course, it would be better if keys got transferred to the player. Hopefully an easy feature to add if I do go this route.)

This might turn out to be a good mechanic, or it might just be an annoyance to players. Of course, if it's telegraphed with an onscreen message (like, "Violet picked up a medikit.", in purple as well, just to cement the unusual occurrence), I feel that would be better, but it's still a question of whether that mechanic is worth pursuing. Personally, I want to explore it. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Jimmy on Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rexen

Post by Rexen »

Maybe making it so Violet can only pick up healing items it possible.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Jimmy wrote:This might turn out to be a good mechanic, or it might just be an annoyance to players. Of course, if it's telegraphed with an onscreen message (like, "Violet picked up a medikit.", in purple as well, just to cement the unusual occurrence), I feel that would be better
I bet she's on the stuffy appetite, i see!

Anyway about research, is she will be able to pick some powerup items as well? Such as soulspehre.
Rexen

Post by Rexen »

I touched up on the force field map, added a monster and some basic layout.
Attachments
FSDEMO.wad
(27.81 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”