The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by NeuralStunner »

Nash wrote:The lights still "bleed through" surfaces... I don't think anything can be done about that, short of a fully shadow-mapped renderer. The bleeding happens even in modern games too, when the area behind a surface is missing shadows for some (glitch) reason (I'm pretty sure I see it everywhere in Fallout 4)
IIRC Graf was working on this at one point, but the approach he took was too performance-intensive. Might be something to look at again.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

that SSAO is a beaut
GZDoom sure has gone places in lately
and just going to keep going by the looks of it
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Tapwave »

Normalmaps when? I can't wait for that SSAO and specular lighting to be integrated in a GZ branch.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

NeuralStunner wrote:
Nash wrote:The lights still "bleed through" surfaces... I don't think anything can be done about that, short of a fully shadow-mapped renderer. The bleeding happens even in modern games too, when the area behind a surface is missing shadows for some (glitch) reason (I'm pretty sure I see it everywhere in Fallout 4)
IIRC Graf was working on this at one point, but the approach he took was too performance-intensive. Might be something to look at again.
I'd take volumetric shadows over shadow mapping anytime, though.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Skelegant wrote: I don't recall asking anyone for splatterhouse resources, but I do remember your splat3d game :D that was one of the inspirations behind my mod. I'll send you what I've got so far to have a mess around with.
It musta been someone else then. You did a swell job modding that pipe thing into two different weapons though. All I ever did was hack off the mace part.

It's interesting that we're both making Doom mods of the same source material, but taking opposite approaches. You're taking Doom and giving it Splatterhouse gameplay, while I'm taking Splatterhouse and giving it Doom gameplay.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

MarisaKirisame wrote:I'd take volumetric shadows over shadow mapping anytime, though.
Interesting, i also think that it is somewhat easier to implement Stencil Shadows than Shadow mapping, exactly because stencil ones doesn't require baking and i remember Edward850 saying that a baking pass in complex-geometry maps would take forever to compile, but since stencil skips this part all what we have to care is about their shadow casting which is better leave off for default and enable via GLDEFs or in the dynlight actor to use in the maps.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

NeuralStunner wrote:I'm guessing that by "physically correct" you mean it's line-clipped, which is one thing always keeping me from using lights.
In this case, I only meant that the angle of the surface being hit is taken into account. In the old light calculations the only thing that mattered was how far away you are from the sun, not if you're at Earth's equator or at the poles.

I have been thinking about ways to clip the lights, but it is a bit tricky. There are too many of them to use shadow maps (unless only select lights are picked as shadow casters). I'm playing with the idea to use a compute shader doing ray tests in 2D, but this is highly theoretical at this stage.
NeuralStunner wrote:And since it's worth mentioning: The other reason is that everyone and their grandmother uses pure-colored lights. Would love to have a light saturation slider that I can turn down until it doesn't look ridiculous.
Adding such a slider shouldn't be very hard, but, if you do find someone with good light taste, you'll be over-saturating his mod. :D
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

dpJudas wrote:In this case, I only meant that the angle of the surface being hit is taken into account. In the old light calculations the only thing that mattered was how far away you are from the sun, not if you're at Earth's equator or at the poles.
does this mean gzdoom tracks surface normals now?

if so I think I'm in love with this
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

InsanityBringer wrote:does this mean gzdoom tracks surface normals now?
Yes, and no. It calculates the actual face normal and uses it for the light calculations. But it does not use the smoothing group normal (the normal stored in MD5 files and such). I think Graf is planning adding this soon - I'm not so familiar with that part of the codebase yet to really say how much work it requires.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

Quick question, how do I create a stair build thing? I wanna make it where when you press a switch, these stairs build up.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

enderkevin13 wrote:Quick question, how do I create a stair build thing? I wanna make it where when you press a switch, these stairs build up.
the old tutorials are surprisingly useful here, at least for zdoom mapping.

you know I've not seen a tutorial anywhere except the old Doom Builder 1 docs about building vanilla style stairs
dpJudas wrote:Yes, and no. It calculates the actual face normal and uses it for the light calculations. But it does not use the smoothing group normal (the normal stored in MD5 files and such). I think Graf is planning adding this soon - I'm not so familiar with that part of the codebase yet to really say how much work it requires.
Calculated normals are better than no normals <3
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

Alright, thanks for the tip.

Anyways, I made some progress on the outside. Thoughts?
GENTEK

The WIP Thread

Post by GENTEK »

Wasteland News! :mrgreen:
Hey guys if someone could help me with ACS for the core features that could be very helpfull!
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The papers. Much threatening and silence than tumbleweeds! Anyway keep it going!
Nash

Post by Nash »

dpJudas wrote: (unless only select lights are picked as shadow casters)
That's how it is in the Creation Engine (Skyrim/Fallout 4) ... lights placed in the level can be marked to be a shadow caster, but only 4 (or was it 8) shadow casters can be visible at any one "time". I'm not sure what exactly "time" is (1 scene? 1 room? 1 'portal'?) but I remember the devs mentioning this in their Creation Kit tutorial videos. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”