Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tifosi 92

Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Post by Tifosi 92 »

Chex(R) Quest 20th Anniversary: Galactic Conflict

About the .wad

Chex Quest: Galactic Conflict is a fan-made megawad expansion to everyone’s favorite cereal-based shooter, Chex Quest! After four-and-a-half years in development, Chex Quest: Galactic Conflict serves as perhaps the most comprehensive expansion ever released for 2008’s Chex Quest 3, introducing a new, nine-level fourth episode, three new hidden levels, multiplayer support on seven all-new maps with original bot chats and graphics, a new zorcher, more powerful Flemoids, and various improvements and fixes to the DECORATE code to allow for compatibility with the latest versions of ZDoom and its various forks. Join in the fun and celebrate the 20th anniversary of the only Doom spin-off ever to gain popularity from a cereal box!

You can find more information about this fan-made wad on the ZDoom Wiki.

Story

After the defeat of the Flemoids at Shreddies Provincial Park and the subsequent development of high-power, large-scale zorcher weaponry, the Intergalactic Federation of Cereals declared the Flemoid threat to be all but non-existent. Any attack on the Cereal Dimension by the Flemoids would require a force too large to quickly transport through inter-dimensional space.

Unless, of course, the attack was already rooted in the Cereal Dimension.

Eight years after cleaning out the Provincial Park, you receive a distress call from an IFoC research base built inside an asteroid in loose orbit around a remote moon, on the border of IFoC territory. It appears that the recent occupation of the asteroid by Cereal peoples has awakened a sinister Flemoidous presence that was already inhabiting the asteroid's caves. The scale of the threat is, so far, undetermined.

Knowing there is no time to waste, you immediately set off for the base. You've beaten the Flemoids before, but your warrior's intuition tells you that this time, things won't be so easy. You face a battle unlike any fought before... and unlike any that will ever be fought after. After eight long years, the Flemoids will be hungry for revenge.

The automated docking bay doors close behind you, and the hangar is pressurized. You give your trusty zorcher one last check, and then climb out of your ship and into the base. Your final mission begins here.

Features

- Do battle against the sinister Flemoids in a new nine-level campaign through an asteroid base.
- Wield an experimental zorcher in combat against your slimy enemies, and enjoy the stealth capabilities of a 'silent' Bootspoon.
- Use the 'secret' command in the console for clues on secret areas both new and old.
- Reworked difficulty scaling gives Chex Quest a new, unique feel. In the fourth episode, changing the difficulty affects not only the number of enemies, but the environment and progression of some levels as well.
- Flemoids with new characteristics present an extra challenge to new and past levels.
- Explore the depths of the asteroid base to find the three hidden levels.
- Fight as a female Chex Warrior.
- Bring up to three friends on your quest through the base in a dynamic co-op experience.
- Send your friends to another dimension with multiplayer on seven tailor-made maps, in a variety of game modes featuring all-new graphics (Zandronum is required for bot support and any modes other than Zorchmatch/Team Zorchmatch).
- Over 20 bots with chat strings and backstories designed for the Chex Quest universe (Zandronum is required for bot support).
- Contains a patch for the missing textures on E3M2 and E3M4.

Download Links

These links were last updated October 25th, 2022, to fix a broken set of links.

NOTE: Version 1.4 of the Chex Quest 3 IWAD (chex3.wad) is required to play Chex Quest: Galactic Conflict. Chex Quest 3 Version 1.4 is no longer hosted on Chucktropolis, but can be found on the official Chex Mix Website here, as of Aug 22nd 2020. You will need ZDoom 2.8.1, GZDoom 2.1.1, Zandronum 3.0, or newer to run Chex Quest: Galactic Conflict.

Chex Quest: Galactic Conflict Version 1.2 (bundled with ZDoom 2.8.1)
Chex Quest: Galactic Conflict Version 1.2 (bundled with 32-bit LZDoom 3.86a)
Chex Quest: Galactic Conflict Version 1.2 (bundled with 64-bit GZDoom 4.4.2)
Chex Quest: Galactic Conflict Version 1.2 (bundled with Zandronum 3.0 installer)
Chex Quest: Galactic Conflict Version 1.2 (.wad file only)

About the Author/Credits

Appropriate credits can be found in full in the game’s readme file; in short, I owe a huge thanks to my family, the folks who’ve helped build ZDoom and all of its spin-offs into the masterpiece it is today, Digital Café, id Software, General Mills, and Charles Jacobi.

The full story is in the readme bundled with any of the above links, but I’ll give you the short version here: I’ve basically been a gamer since birth. I played Chex Quest years ago when it first came out, and still have the original CD. I played all the expansions and was ecstatic when an official third episode was released in 2008. This prompted all sorts of web-searching which eventually resulted in me constructing maps for the game. I hadn't ever played Doom or any other Doom-based game, and didn’t actually play one (Doom II), until after I’d finished all of the maps except the third bonus level. In a way, I think it’s great that I didn’t, because if I had, these maps very likely would’ve ended up as ‘just another Doom mod’. Instead, they’re here now, released to the community on the 20th anniversary of one of my all-time favorite video games. I’ve been mapping for Doom on and off since 2009 in various incarnations, and between undergraduate studies and work (being a double major in biology and chemistry is quite a time-sink), have maintained mapping as a hobby depending on my level of free time. This megawad is the conclusion of an incredibly lengthy journey which managed to include everyone in my family in some way or another along the way.

I’m ecstatic to have finished it and would be overjoyed to know that anyone here actually played it. If you decide to give it a try, please let me know what you think (or let me know if you find any bugs; not likely, but you can only test so much in-house). Thank you very, very much for giving this thread a look, and I hope you enjoy the game!
Last edited by Tifosi 92 on Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Death Egg

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary: Galactic Conflict

Post by Death Egg »

Well, this came out of nowhere! I have to play this at some point. Always glad to see a Chex project!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary: Galactic Conflict

Post by Captain J »

Ha. Indeed it's came out of nowhere. Anyway i really wanted to see another chex projects as well!

Anyway despite some of the maps looks plain and simple unlike the original game, it's enjoyable!
Ethril

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Post by Ethril »

Is the lack of music intentional?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I do not have music either. Good to know it is not a problem on my end!
Tifosi 92

Post by Tifosi 92 »

Thanks for checking it out, everyone! :D

The lack of music is in fact intentional. When I grew up, I played Chex Quest on a PC with a sound card so poor that it couldn't handle sounds and music at the same time, so sounds won, lol. To this day, playing any Doom-based game with music doesn't really feel natural to me (though Golden Earring's 'Twilight Zone' or some Billy Idol tunes go great with Doom II). I suck as a composer anyway, as you might have gathered from the boss fanfares, so it's probably for the better that there's no soundtrack. I honestly don't notice the lack of music, so I should've said something. Sorry about that. :oops:

However!

As I went through the game, there were a few songs from other games that definitely went through my head when building the levels. This 'soundtrack' is as follows, if you happen to have your hands on MP3's or YouTube links of any of the following:

E4M1 - Star City (Diddy Kong Racing)
E4M2 - Toad's Turnpike (Mario Kart 64)
E4M3 - Corneria (Star Fox 64) / [Boss] Sector Y Boss Reprise (Star Fox 64)
E4M4 - Kejim Outpost Idle (Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast)
E4M5 - Darkmoon Caverns (Diddy Kong Racing) / [Boss] Star Wolf's Theme (Star Fox 64)
E4M6 - Zoness (Star Fox 64)
E4M7 - Cairn Reactor Idle (Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast) / [Boss] Boss Theme (Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast)
E4M8 - Echo Base Theme (Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire)
E4M9 - Area 6 (Star Fox 64) / [Boss] Exodus (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2) OR Final Bowser Battle (Super Mario Galaxy)
E4B1 - Dot Dash (Crash Bash)
E4B2 - Lights Out (Crash Bandicoot - VERY APPROPRIATE)
E4B3 - Tree Tops (Spyro the Dragon)
Multiplayer - Battle Stage (Diddy Kong Racing)

Why all the hidden levels have music from Play Station games while all the normal ones have music from Nintendo games, I haven't the slightest idea. Just felt that it worked that way. Still prefer the game without music.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Couldn't you just use Chex Quest's default music?
Tifosi 92

Post by Tifosi 92 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Couldn't you just use Chex Quest's default music?
I had thought about it, but honestly I didn't like the idea of reusing over half the music from the IWAD. I guess putting music on the game wasn't really a priority for me, lol. I may patch it later on to include music of some sort, but for now it'll probably stay as is. Sorry. :?

Of course, you're welcome to play it however you want. If you want to add music to it, that's cool with me, 'cause I really had nothing serious in mind on that front. 8-)
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Awesome ! Thank you very much !
So it's completed, like a v1, right ?
Im downloading it, i will play it later! :D

Good to see a finished CQ wad! ^^
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Tifosi 92 wrote:Of course, you're welcome to play it however you want. If you want to add music to it, that's cool with me, 'cause I really had nothing serious in mind on that front. 8-)
I do not know how to do that. Personally, I play vanilla Chex Quest - and all Doom IWADs, for that matter - with Ransu's remastered soundtrack.

Anyway, on a different topic, why are there two red keys in the first level?
Tifosi 92

Post by Tifosi 92 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Tifosi 92 wrote:Of course, you're welcome to play it however you want. If you want to add music to it, that's cool with me, 'cause I really had nothing serious in mind on that front. 8-)
Anyway, on a different topic, why are there two red keys in the first level?
When I first built it, one of those was a yellow key. Having the player go through the same thing twice is boring and artificially inflates the level length (something I really shoulda done on E4M7), so I dropped that idea and just put two red keys in. If you find them both, start looking for the secret area... :D

That was one of many moments in development that I had to grapple with the 'Tom Hall Paradox' of, 'yes, it looks like a military base, but is it actually fun?'

I'm not the best mapper by any stretch of the imagination, so I hope the balance there was a good call.
Negostrike
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Negostrike »

Tifosi 92 wrote: The lack of music is in fact intentional. When I grew up, I played Chex Quest on a PC with a sound card so poor that it couldn't handle sounds and music at the same time, so sounds won, lol. To this day, playing any Doom-based game with music doesn't really feel natural to me (though Golden Earring's 'Twilight Zone' or some Billy Idol tunes go great with Doom II). I suck as a composer anyway, as you might have gathered from the boss fanfares, so it's probably for the better that there's no soundtrack. I honestly don't notice the lack of music, so I should've said something. Sorry about that. :oops:
Ok that's really dumb now. If you're going to release something to the public, you shouldn't make it as only you prefer. That's not how many people here experienced Chex Quest for the first time. That's just dumb or outright lazy, but whatever. Just reuse the music from the original CQ, for Christ's sake.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Negrostrike wrote:Ok that's really dumb now. If you're going to release something to the public, you shouldn't make it as only you prefer. That's not how many people here experienced Chex Quest for the first time. That's just dumb or outright lazy, but whatever. Just reuse the music from the original CQ, for Christ's sake.
Let him work on the project as he wishes right now. Being pressured into adding something into a project that you really don't want in at the moment in time during development will dissuade that person from working on the project. If you want music, you're free to add it in your self. :D
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Well, if someone ends up making a soundtrack addon for Galactic Conflict, it would be really nice of them to share it with the rest of us - as I have no idea how to make one myself. :?
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

given it uses mapinfo, isn't it as simple as editing the file to have each stage play music? then you could just pick whatever tracks from Chex Quest 3 you want for each stage.

Return to “Levels”