EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Coraline

Re: 3DGE 2.0.4 Final Released! (4.26.2016)

Post by Coraline »

Try this one. That version is based on SDL2 and we redid some of the input code as well..
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Nothing shows at all on the screen with that one. I have to ctrl-c out from the command line.
Spoiler: Startup log
If it matters any, the nVidia itself cannot detect display modes, as it is not used for showing, it is strictly a renderer. Everything ultimately ends up on the Intel HD4600 (thanks to Optimus technology) - it's a dual-renderer laptop system, one is used for battery saving and one is used for actual gaming performance.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Delete your previous config from 2.0.4, and reload. If nothing is showing, go into edge2.cfg and manually set your width/height and try again. You should be seeing *something*, as other users on the 3DGE forums all seem to have it working properly.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Well that works but it refuses to let me leave Fullscreen mode, and I also can't change from 640x480.

I also still can't bind "R" to Use.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Yeah, that's one of the issues right now - SDL2 video mode switching is not possible at the moment...SDL2 required us to hack the shit out of our i_video code, because SDL2 is just "different", and it's been a hassle attempting to get it working. In the changelog, it states in-game resolution handling is broken, so it will need to be defined in the config or command line.

I will immediately look at the Use button.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

*Verified from Eruanna that this age-old bug has now been fixed. Will make it into the 2.1.0 Test2.

Keep 'em coming, guys ;)

@Chronoteeth: you still haven't cleared up your issue - is it a problem with regular gameplay, or a weapons mod of yours? Any way to send an example WAD?
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Is this where the dreacast footage will go?

Just asking...
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Test 2 is coming really soon, with a lot of additions and some more fixes. Still frustrated with SDL2, and thinking about completely ripping out all SDL and going with SMFL, since it looks more robust and, on top of that, is native C++.

In Test2, Ive added a new funtional Multiplayer menu (with Host/Join netgame), but the biggest thing is that you can now start a splitscreen game from the menu instead of using a hacky CVAR. Input for second player is coming along well, so by the time it drops split-play should be completed. It was designed to mimick Doom Legacy's multiplayer menu so I am hoping people will find it easier and familiar.

More stuff (functional native Wolf3D and ROTT) should also be in Alpha by that time :-D
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

less of a question more of an assistive thing

im trying to make a weapon similar to the "lava gun" from the ratchet and clank series. it works lik a flamethrower but instead of the usual fare of just like a stream of fire it sorta shoots a literal rope of lava that looks like a piece of twine. The coding base can be similar to a flame thrower but getting the weird bends and the lava to trail on the ground a bit is confusing me. I havnt started work on it yet so im more just asking for coding advice, help, or even a ddf code xample on making this idea come to fruition
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

chronoteeth wrote:less of a question more of an assistive thing

im trying to make a weapon similar to the "lava gun" from the ratchet and clank series. it works lik a flamethrower but instead of the usual fare of just like a stream of fire it sorta shoots a literal rope of lava that looks like a piece of twine. The coding base can be similar to a flame thrower but getting the weird bends and the lava to trail on the ground a bit is confusing me. I havnt started work on it yet so im more just asking for coding advice, help, or even a ddf code xample on making this idea come to fruition
Getting a projectile trail to go on the ground is a little tricky but I did this with the Cyberdemons alt. fire stomp attack in Doom Forever. I can post you the code later today if you don't feel like wading through a bucket-ton of code. I also made a projectile "roll" on the ground in Immoral Conduct 2, though this did turn out a little unreliable.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

ATTACKS definition
Spoiler:
THINGS definition
Spoiler:
As it is, the trail is basically forced down to the ground. I'm pretty sure there must be a more proper way of achieving the effect, though.
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

that might be useful especially for the lasting effect! thanks!
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

No problem. Don't hesitate to ask if you're having further questions about it.
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

its more about making sure whatever ends up being created is satisfying to what i made so, time tells all really
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Getting ready to push 2.1.0 Test2 very soon -- we have fixed over 20 long-standing bugs in 3DGE, including stuff like
the finale ticker, animated sprite offsets, vertical range checking for Attacks using Slope, rendering non-POW2 textures
properly (noticeable even in the original games), SDL2 resolution handling/window management is working 100%, grAb
chunk works properly, etc. Also lots of Heretic gamemode fixes as well (no longer need to use a PWAD, nor a batchfile, etc).

There are also a few new features, such as a new command-line switch to override the PLAYPAL with the last loaded, and make
it the 'Global' palette (3DGE by default handles this by mixing IWAD and PWAD palettes), and a functional Multiplayer menu
to start a two-player game through.

We will also start releasing Linux builds from here on out, alongside the Win32/VS builds.

Some new features we are working on for future builds are two new DDF types, called SPRITES.DDF and TERRAIN.DDF.

Sprites.ddf will allow you to modify existing sprite images -- things like offsets, brightmaps, palettes of individual images (can
be a different palette for any sprite, thanks to 3DGE's system). Terrain.ddf will be able to set special floor properties, like
spawning splashes on flats, or spawning different footstep sounds, flat effects, etc. Terrain mostly works by the flatname that
is defined and looked-up globally, but this can also be overridden by special sector properties in SECTORS.ddf. It's coming along.

We are also planning on a new system of detecting multiple IWADS using .preset files -- these will reside in a new folder, and
3DGE will check these against what IWADS it finds, allowing you to select what game you want to play, and any possible
command line variables/tweaks/etc. Sort of like a mini-launcher within the program itself, but it will make IWAD/PWAD/etc
management much more bearable.

Return to “Game Engines”