[TECHDEMO] ░s▒ᴡ░ᴄ▒s░ɴ▒s░s▒s░

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JimpArgon

Re: [TECHDEMO] ░s▒ᴡ░ᴄ▒s░ɴ▒s░s▒s░

Post by JimpArgon »

wildweasel wrote: Okay, bear with me here: can you get the MD5 hash of the new version that doesn't work? I'd like to compare it with the one I've got that does.
OK this is weird.... I redowloaded to do as you asked (because I deleted the file after various attempts of trying to get it to work) and dragged and dropped it into both Zdoom and GZ. Worked in both.

Downloaded through google chrome. Weird.

Thanks anyways.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I belive I heard that music from some part of some who dun it map :roll: ...
Also, cool Idea, it's kinda creepy that stuff like that partially Works under gzdoom.
Now please, where's my pixelated portal gun?
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SoulCircle »

InsanityBringer wrote:if you look into the pyramid holes and look down you see [REDACTED]
Someone may be put to silencing, they have peered into the hole.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

SoulCircle wrote:
InsanityBringer wrote:if you look into the pyramid holes and look down you see [REDACTED]
But there was nothing in the hole. I looked. It was just an empty space, dimly lit by the light shining inside. :blergh:
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

SoulCircle wrote:
its a risk I had to take for allowing this to work in GZDoom. I'm currently throwing together a shader that just does texture mapping in screenspace. It won't rotate with the player's view so I'm not fully sure it will actually look all that good. eh

EDIT: Actually looking closer the sky shifting as you turn isn't even all that visible in ZDoom. Next thing to deal with is the resolution. At the moment with this test one pixel in the texture is one screen pixel, so the dither pattern sizes vary based on your resolution. (EDIT2: though looking even closer, not shifting would make the buildings look weird. I'll have to see what I can do...)
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

I was sent to this thread by my dear brother zeberpal model#822jf777 to answer, explain and just talk on zdoom language.
InsanityBringer wrote:its a risk I had to take for allowing this to work in GZDoom.
Thank you very much! It really means a lot for me that somebody wants to help and put an effort to try to make this method work there. Because I simply can't make any shader myself :/ If you need any help, just ask!
ibm5155 wrote:I belive I heard that music from some part of some who dun it map ...

Yes, it is a from a secret of my WDIEX03 map. It was also used in cybercrime deathmatch.
mumblemumble wrote:I'm still awaiting a response for the security report of woman hovering in the sky. I mean, I'm hired as a security guard, so at least an acknowledgement of this would seem correct.... Even though it was air-born, it was on the property. But considering the distance and that I'm an unarmed guard, I don't know what I was expected to do, besides report it
Looks like you got us..We had to sent a spy who would check if you do your job properly. Unfortunately you had discovered her... It's her fault that she could not hide herself in a proper way, so it seems that she'll have an accident in the next tuesday, when suddenly a big meteorite coming from zandronum galaxy will leave nothing from her. Or we probably should think what do we do about you. Let us think... But since you were in our "Workers of the day" list, no harm will happen to you. Physical at least.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

I can really dig the aesthetic, that's all I can say.
sorry about the hole, I really like triangles
InsanityBringer

Zeberpal wrote:
InsanityBringer wrote:its a risk I had to take for allowing this to work in GZDoom.
Thank you very much! It really means a lot for me that somebody wants to help and put an effort to try to make this method work there. Because I simply can't make any shader myself :/ If you need any help, just ask!
It certainly is a neat effect, but I am running into some limitations sadly. Trouble is that the screen resolution isn't exposed in OpenGL shaders, which means that the size of the dithering patterns are going to vary based on your screen resolution. A small screen resolution will have giant blocks, while a large one will have tiny blocks. I might just try to set them so they look good at a resolution in between 720p and 1080p, since that will probably will at least cover most use cases...

Though the inability to shift the effect when you look up and down might be the real dealbreaker. For the terrain and the pyramids itself, it will probably look acceptable, but this will prevent effects like the "look into the pyramid" bit and the buildings in the background which use a dither gradient. The one upshot to this method though is that it will work on vertical walls within all normal texturing limits for doom, so the few bits where you have incredibly steep slopes won't be needed.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Hmm, I wonder if there is some resolution-related cvar or command line, to check it. If yes, in theory I could use 3 different sets of the same texture, let's say 480p-720p, 720-1080p, 1080-1440. So I could change textures ingame for different resolution setting. I could probably force a screen resolution somehow, but that would be too much.
I probably misunderstood, but dither gradient is made out of parts split by sky sectors.
InsanityBringer

In theory, yeah, you should be able to have a script that checks the resolution CVARs, and then uses [wiki]ReplaceTextures[/wiki] to replace all the dithering patterns with ones for the current resolution. Also, if the buildings are made of multiple sectors with different dithering, then I guess the buildings shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

I'm currently working on rigging up a sample demonstrating the shader and some of these features
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Hi guys, since the map itself won't work in GZDoom due to GZDoom's technical limitations, I've implemented similar effects using GZDoom and shaders.

There are two versions, one of my own and one similar to the effect used by Zeberpal (but not closely as well).
Also I feel like my maths or algorithm is a potato. Might fix this tomorrow (it's too late today zzz).
Both versions are implemented like global shaders with main.vp/main.fp replacement. Work with any WAD.

First version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/663uy ... /perv2.pk3
http://i.imgur.com/6RvBOPH.png
http://i.imgur.com/mHPA5H0.png

Second version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7pnf8 ... /perv3.pk3
http://i.imgur.com/8LsEiix.png

Someone might be interested in these as the base for further improvement. Anyone can take the code and do whatever. Credits for 3rd party code (snoise) are in the comment in main.fp.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Well, those who said my mod was trippy, you should check this! Looks pretty cool and I noticed pixels tend more or less "stay" at the same place, when you change your view from dark to bright sector. Wow I wish the same method would happen with normal textures.
InsanityBringer

ah fuck, this is all I managed to develop myself. Which does do a decent if dull job of replicating the original effect. dl for what I have so far

I should probably go actually learn real graphics programming.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Oh my! You're my savior! It seems to be working correct with all kind of floors and walls. And Shader way seems to be way much better than flatsky!

Last edited by Zeberpal on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

So, does that mean we'll get to keep our jobs?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”