[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Post by Captain J »

DrPyspy wrote:Image
I have redesigned the Unmaker to match it's silhouette from Doom 0.2 better. The Dark Claw will be getting this treatment later on, but for know I'm focusing on the Unmaker. It also comes with some new behavior to set itself apart from the other weapons; it launches two souls that search for a target. Once they find a target, they rip through them until they're finished. The souls will continue to search for new targets until their time runs out. Once this happens, the souls disappear. It is very useful for larger targets and open spaces, although it uses up more ammo than the Dark Claw, so it is best used carefully.
Very good! But come to think of it, would be really beautiful and retrospective if it's almost looks like adrian carmack's demonic artworks and concepts, if that's possible! :P
I've made use of the unused bullet and shell casings. They're animated old-school, since they're technically part of the HUD. However, each casing can have their own individual velocity and gravity values since they're animated using ACS. This reduces the repetition. Unfortunately, I am unable to show them off correctly, as I'm still trying to find a replacement for my old recording software. For now though, have those screenshots.
Can't wait for the chaingun releasing casings, then! That would be messy but wonderful!
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I was liking the older unmaker better, but This one is looking pretty cool as well.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

Captain J wrote:Very good! But come to think of it, would be really beautiful and retrospective if it's almost looks like adrian carmack's demonic artworks and concepts, if that's possible! :P
Unfortunately, all I have to go off of is the silhouette, and it's hard to match Carmack's incredible style. :( I'll try my best though!
zrrion the insect wrote:I was liking the older unmaker better, but This one is looking pretty cool as well.
My problem with the Unmaker is that it was made before I discovered that there was a silhouette I could base it off of. Another thing is that I felt it didn't mesh well with the other weapon designs, so I decided to redesign it.

Added some more detail to the Unmaker, using some of Adrian Carmack's concept art as inspiration:

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hah, now that's fine! But i'm thinking that it should be more brownish like other skull and skeleton sprites from the vanilla doom!

Extra score if it's blood stained or more demonic!
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Where did you get the idea for thte exposed brain? I don't see anything that can be interpreted as it in the original silhouette. Not that I have a problem with it, mind you. I'm just curious.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Captain J wrote:Hah, now that's fine! But i'm thinking that it should be more brownish like other skull and skeleton sprites from the vanilla doom!

Extra score if it's blood stained or more demonic!
Just tried out a brown color for the skeletal parts, it looks great! I'll have a screenshot soon.
SiFi270 wrote:Where did you get the idea for thte exposed brain? I don't see anything that can be interpreted as it in the original silhouette. Not that I have a problem with it, mind you. I'm just curious.
As I was testing, I found that the skull created large blank space in the middle of the screen, so I cracked it open to create some visual interest.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

This new unmaker is great. Imo, better than the older one. I want this game so bad at each screenshot. Hope romero and Carmack take a look at this.
Truvix

Post by Truvix »

GAA1992 wrote:This new unmaker is great. Imo, better than the older one. I want this game so bad at each screenshot. Hope romero and Carmack take a look at this.
You know, between this and the Meta Doom mod, I imagine that it'll be quite some time before I find myself getting bored with Doom. These mods are huge undertakings but I imagine it'll be very satisfying for everyone once these mods finally have official releases. :wub: Also quite looking forward to The Ultimate Doom 2, but things still seem pretty quiet on Gardevoir's end, so I don't know how far along things are there.
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Zenon »

I sure hope the Doom Bible curse doesn't get you
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

GAA1992 wrote:This new unmaker is great. Imo, better than the older one. I want this game so bad at each screenshot. Hope romero and Carmack take a look at this.
Thanks! It's pretty unlikely, but if one of the old iD guys acknowledged the mod, it'd be awesome.
Truvix wrote: You know, between this and the Meta Doom mod, I imagine that it'll be quite some time before I find myself getting bored with Doom. These mods are huge undertakings but I imagine it'll be very satisfying for everyone once these mods finally have official releases. :wub: Also quite looking forward to The Ultimate Doom 2, but things still seem pretty quiet on Gardevoir's end, so I don't know how far along things are there.
It's nice to know that people are excited for the mod! Sometimes I lose motivation, but knowing that people are excited help keeps me going.
Cyberdemon2006 wrote:I sure hope the Doom Bible curse doesn't get you
I don't believe in curses. Image
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

This project isn't really a doom bible project, so you're safe
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

What curse are you talking about?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

SoulCircle

Post by SoulCircle »

This shall be a WONDERFUL mod! The closest I've seen to something like this is a WAD that adds beta and alpha DECORATE and enemy sprites, but nothing to THIS extent! I have been wanting something to exist that adds the original Unmaker and Dark Claw to the game, as well as the original HUD! Making it an excellent looking mod, and if this was released as a game back in the 90s as its own game, I'd by it straight up!
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

What I meant by curse is that many have tried to create/recreate Tom Hall's vision of how Doom should've been.. only for it to go pear shaped in some way

Return to “Gameplay Mods”