My water isn't splashy anymore :(

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
HotWax

My water isn't splashy anymore :(

Post by HotWax »

This post has nothing to do with 2.0.48. (Yes, shocking, I know) I recently reformatted my HD and have lost a file I had in an autoload folder for Doom & Doom 2 that caused the stock liquid flats to become "splashy" ala Heretic and Hexen. I think the filename of this wad was simply splash3.wad, or something close. It caused the water to splash like Heretic water, and for actors to sink into it, provided new/recolored splash graphics for the slime and blood, and made the lava flats sizzle and smoke. If anyone could provide me a link to this file, I'd be much obliged. Now that I've gotten used to splashy water, it's disturbing to me to watch a fat lumbering chaingunner walk over a pool without disturbing the surface or even sinking into the liquid.

That or just tell me how to do this myself. I have Heretic and Hexen and decent enough tools to recolor graphics. The TERRAIN lump frightens me, though.
Zell

Post by Zell »

i think enjay had an exmaple...not sure. i think i have it, just a sec
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

I've actually been looking for that myself. *Yoink*

Thanks. =)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

From TERRAIN.lmp:
splash Blood
{
smallclass BloodSplash
smallclip 12
smallsound world/sludgegloop

baseclass BloodSplashBase
chunkclass BloodSplash
chunkxvelshift 8
chunkyvelshift 8
chunkzvelshift 8
chunkbasezvel 1
sound world/sludgegloop
}
I understand most of this. What I don't understand is how BloodSplash and BloodSplashBase can be defined. I just assumed that a built-in class for the Heretic and Hexen splash types was being spawned, and AFAIK I was right... Go into a game of Heretic, type "spawn watersplash" at the console, and lo a small splash of water appears and disappears in front of you. So where did BloodSplash come from? It's not used in ZDoom.wad's TERRAIN lump...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

BloodSplash and BloodSplashBase are defined in g_shared/a_splashes.cpp. They use a sprite names BSPH which AFAIK isn't provided so you have to draw it yourself. It has exactly the same frames as the water splash so you could take that and recolor it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

randy wrote:October 25, 2001
- Added BloodSplash, BloodSplashBase, SlimeSplash, and SlimeChunk classes for anyone who wants to use them in a TERRAIN lump.

Return to “General”