[WIP][Enhancer Mod] 64k + [1.1] updated 4/2021

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
zrrion the insect

[WIP][Enhancer Mod] 64k + [1.1] updated 4/2021

Post by zrrion the insect »

64K+ is a mod that aims to take the vanilla experience and infuse it with a bit of the modern doom games as well as a bit of balance tweaking resulting in an enhancer that looks and plays well without straying too drastically from the aesthetics and gameplay of vanilla doom. All weapons have been adjusted to prevent any individual weapon from outclassing or outshining any other. All weapons have a niche now and there's a reason to pull out every weapon (even the pistol) at some point. Monsters have been tweaked a bit, revanant rockets will time out and stop homing, the manucbus's fireball pattern is different, the cyberdemon and spidermastermind both also have more fire power. Enemies killed with the chainsaw swipe or with berserk punches drop health and ammo. Health and ammo have also been modified to prevent the player from picking up ammo they do not have room for, resulting in no health or ammo being wasted. I'll eventually expand that to include armor, but for now it only applies to health and ammo. There are a lot of special effects and little behavior tweaks and goodies as well which are fun to look at if that's your deal.

Beyond these tweaks there are a lot of extra props, a few monsters, some powerups, voxel switches, and a few other goodies for mappers to use (in the unlikely event that anyone other than me is making maps for this.) give it a peek to see whats in there.

Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Yer guns
Download v1.0 here or by clicking the logo thing at the top.
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Deii

Re: [WIP][Gameplay Mod] 64k +

Post by Deii »

Yeah, this is pretty good! Haven't had the chance to use it for a specifically long amount of time but so far, no complaints for me.

Also, any chance of implementing the unmaker in the future?

EDIT: What are the map packs used in the screenshots? They look a bit interesting.
zrrion the insect

I would like to add an unmaker to this, but I haven't been able to get doom64s unmaker sprites to jive stylistically with vanilla dooms art style. If I can ever get those sprites to work I have an idea as to how I could add it.

The first 2 screenshots are of Perditions Gate, the 3rd is Nullspace, 4th is Vrack2b, and the last one is one of the maps from Alien Vendetta.

The link in the first post should be updated to include smart scavenger-esk ammo pickups that won't let you pick them up if you don't have room for them. This only applies to ammo, weapons, backpacks, and health will still be picked up like normal.
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

My only real complaint with this is the quick melee attack.

In my opinion, it takes too long to use. Like a .02 or 03 second delay. Basically you have to pre click and run up on someone to use it effectively. Also, I feel that the damage is rather low. 3 to 4 hits to bring down a zombie gunner.

I know its a situational use sort of thing... But I feel it should pack more of a punch, and if the delay is intentional. At least have some sort of push back. Like keeping Pinkies from cornering you and giving you just enough room after the punch to squeeze out to safety.

Other then the melee thing, I really like the feel of the rest of the weps. The chaingun animation and the Doom 64 shotguns are a nice touch.
zrrion the insect

The quick melee is about the same as the vanilla fist in terms of speed and damage, but a little push-back would probably be something that would work. I'll have to mess around with it.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I noticed that the berserk fist can practically one shot every enemy, though it's very risky in the case of cyberdemons.
zrrion the insect

That doesn't sound like intended behaviour. I'll have to check that out when I get to my PC.
EDIT: It was not intended, I left a line in from a test of the glorykill stuff. Re-download and it should be fixed.
zrrion the insect

The smart ammo system has been implemented and now I'm working on a doom-alpha/beta inspired HUD.
SuperSomariDX

Post by SuperSomariDX »

I loooooove that hud. Please tell me there will be a standalone version as well. ;w;
zrrion the insect

The weapon indicator in the middle is done in a way that makes it a little difficult to make standalone, but when I get the next update out people are free to do whatever with it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looks very. VERY interesting! Gonna play and prepare some feedback!

EDIT: I see no problems, i guess. Nevermind!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh wait and wait, it actually has some problems...
Spoiler: And the good thing is i'm already prepared for some feedback!
There you go!
zrrion the insect

* The no decals thing is an oversight as I play with decals off. I can fix that pretty easily.
* The clip thing is something that I'm working on, but I currently hit a roadblock where a clip cannot tell that it was dropped, so I can't do anything about that when it is picked up. I can make a temp fix in the mean time.
* I fixed that, whoops.
* I moved it down.

* also fixed keys not being multiplayer friendly.
zrrion the insect

Re: [WIP][Gameplay Mod] 64k + [0.2]

I've been working pretty hard at this the past few days and I have added a few things in this update, namely:

*I've added cool smoke effects that only show up if the player has the Rocket trails setting set to Sprites or Sprites & Particles.
*Quite a few effects have their sprites rotated randomly every frame to add a bit of cheap visual variety
*Extra frames for the bullet puff and explosive barrel
*A handful of miscellaneous new sprites
*More XDeath gore
*Tweaked quick melee timing. It is now much easier to use effectively
*I think I messed with the SSG, but cannot recall how
*zombiemen drop clips with appropriate amount of ammo

Known Issues with 0.2:
*XDeath gore does not match monster blood color. I am stumped as to why this is.
*Message for opening a large container of ammo is shown after the first ammo pickup you get from the container. (not a bug, just annoying to me) fixed now
*nazis do drop too much ammo (this won't change as the nazis are being left alone for dehacked reasons)

Planned non-cosmetic features:
*Make bullet weapons fire in a circular spread pattern
*Add small display to plasmagun and make it track plasma ammo (the display on the bfg would also track ammo) this looked bad, not happening
*Miscellaneous tweaks
*Toggleable Enemy behavior changes
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

i wonder if the hud is out?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”