[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Post by DrPyspy »

Grant_Wolfskin wrote:I am looking forward to this. This might be the next best thing since it looks like Doom: Evil Unleashed project might be dead. If that is the case, it is a real shame.
To quote the official tumblr:
1. Don’t worry, the mod is not abandoned and it’s still WIP.
2. My computer is dead at the moment, and I don’t have a convenient way of replying to messages, so that’s why I haven’t answered anything.
3. Yes, I have noticed some mistakes here and there, but as I said, I have no convenient way to fix anything at the moment.
The mod isn't dead, they've just hit a few hitches in development. I'm excited for when the final mod is released. I think the big reason most Doom Bible mods do not see the light of day is because people who try to start working on them don't realize that they're not just creating a mod for Doom, instead they're creating an entire game using an incomplete design document as reference. Doom Bible mods aren't really cursed, they're just really huge undertakings.
TheMightyHeracross wrote: It's not.

This is looking pretty rad! I always loved the style that "Evil Unleashed" was going for, so Doom Bible-based projects are always exciting to see.
Thanks!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

UPDATE

Here are some new shots of the helmet HUD! I'm essentially calling it finished in terms of basic functions, the only things left are some cosmetic things, such as the weapon info in the top-left corner.

I couldn't figure out what the purpose of the 'graph' was supposed to be, so I re-purposed it into a heart monitor of sorts. It 'beats' faster according to how close to death you are. It isn't super useful, but I think it looks pretty cool.

There is also an items counter now. I figured since both score and items play a bigger part, it'd be more important to keep track of these things.

The clouds in the sky in Inferno are now darker when lightning is not visible. This is inspired by the naming convention of the sky textures in the Doom press release, and it's implementation in Doom: Evil Unleashed.

Here is a WIP shot of the new character select screen!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looks excellent, can't wait for more update! :D
DrPyspy wrote:UPDATE
Here is a WIP shot of the new character select screen!
Where's the ability text now? Are you going to add it soon? Then you should add it much shorter to keep the space clean, though.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

My only gripe with the hud is the large thing that sticks up in the bottom. It covers up a huge chunk of the weapon and it isn't a space that the HUD uses to display information anyway so it's just kinda wasted space. Would an option to disable it be out of the question?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I am so looking forward to this. more than I was for the doom4 release. hell, by the time I get a machine good enough to actually play doom4, doom5 will be out! LOL this is a work of love and dedication, this I can see...

hot stuff... :wub:
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Captain J wrote:Where's the ability text now? Are you going to add it soon? Then you should add it much shorter to keep the space clean, though.
I'm still deciding on how I'm going to go about this, but the idea is that you can select a character to view additional info about them, including their abilities and drawbacks. This will double as a sort of confirmation, so if you don't like what abilities are listed, you can back out and choose another character.
zrrion the insect wrote:My only gripe with the hud is the large thing that sticks up in the bottom. It covers up a huge chunk of the weapon and it isn't a space that the HUD uses to display information anyway so it's just kinda wasted space. Would an option to disable it be out of the question?
It shouldn't be too hard to add an option for that, it'd just a matter of covering up the empty space. Thanks for the suggestion!
osjclatchford wrote:I am so looking forward to this. more than I was for the doom4 release. hell, by the time I get a machine good enough to actually play doom4, doom5 will be out! LOL this is a work of love and dedication, this I can see...

hot stuff... :wub:
I'm in the same boat, I've bought the game in anticipation for when I get a computer that can actually run Doom 4... :cry:
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Well this is still more exciting than doom4. Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this. And thanks also for not releasing it until its +/- finished. Too many of us release prematurely and then incrementaly add updates. This is going to be Much more satisfying...
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Any chance of introducing a fourth, hopefully female character?
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

osjclatchford wrote:Well this is still more exciting than doom4. Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this. And thanks also for not releasing it until its +/- finished. Too many of us release prematurely and then incrementaly add updates. This is going to be Much more satisfying...
I agree! I want the mod to feel like a complete experience, rather than something that is unfinished. This combined with the constant updates help keep me motivated. :D
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Any chance of introducing a fourth, hopefully female character?
There is currently a fourth character, although she doesn't actually have any full-body or face portrait graphics yet

PhAyzoN

Post by PhAyzoN »

Loving the sky and plasma rifle! Can't wait for this!
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Oh man, I have wanted to see something like this for a long time. This looks fantastic! :mrgreen:
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

zrrion the insect wrote:My only gripe with the hud is the large thing that sticks up in the bottom. It covers up a huge chunk of the weapon and it isn't a space that the HUD uses to display information anyway so it's just kinda wasted space. Would an option to disable it be out of the question?
Just finished adding this as an option, how does it look? I opted to move the mouthpiece down instead of removing it as it just leaves a bunch of empty space in it's absence:

Default position for comparison:

Spectra

Post by Spectra »

You plan releasing a preview? :)
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Spectra wrote:You plan releasing a preview? :)
I won't be releasing the mod until all the important features are finished, sorry. :(

Speaking of which, here are some more updates:

I have redesigned the Unmaker to match it's silhouette from Doom 0.2 better. The Dark Claw will be getting this treatment later on, but for know I'm focusing on the Unmaker. It also comes with some new behavior to set itself apart from the other weapons; it launches two souls that search for a target. Once they find a target, they rip through them until they're finished. The souls will continue to search for new targets until their time runs out. Once this happens, the souls disappear. It is very useful for larger targets and open spaces, although it uses up more ammo than the Dark Claw, so it is best used carefully.

I've made use of the unused bullet and shell casings. They're animated old-school, since they're technically part of the HUD. However, each casing can have their own individual velocity and gravity values since they're animated using ACS. This reduces the repetition. Unfortunately, I am unable to show them off correctly, as I'm still trying to find a replacement for my old recording software. For now though, have those screenshots.

That is all I can show for now, as a lot of the things I've worked on recently cannot be shown off with just screenshots. I'll try to get some new recording software soon!
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Loving that new unmaker.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”