Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Somagu

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE October 31st, 2015]

Post by Somagu »

I've always been a fan of Weapons of Saturn, so the idea of a new update is pretty exciting! You might want to have a look at Faspons to see if there are any changes from it you particularly like and would like to adopt in some way, because it's an excellent development on this base.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Lippeth wrote:
NullWire wrote:What about to add the rapid fire zombieman? No that variant with yellow hair, just make the zombie man shoots like they are using their m4's Also adds more difficulty to the mod, the pistol pickup sprite is so big, the rifle sprite is a little bit.. rare...
I removed all enemy changes so you can load in your own monster packs.
This is the reason I ended up removing the MP40 and .45. With no custom Nazis there was no reason for them to exist. I think someone made a version adding them back in. I really liked the .45 but I just can't think of a reason for it to exist, plus I wanted all the weapons to be streamlined, doing more with less which is why everything has a secondary fire, and sometimes I wonder what purpose the rifle has other than making the game easier.

The code for the custom Zombiemen is actually still in the mod, I just removed it from the Decorate list. Feel free to add it back in with Slade.
NullWire wrote:What's suposed the secondary fire of the plasma gun does?
Splash damage that doesn't hurt you. It's sort of like a rocket made out of plasma.
NullWire wrote:Also, the coach gun pickup sprite is gray with green I guess? What about to make the brown part of the coach gun gray/ darker dull green?
I don't know what to say about that. The sprite I used is a brown sawed-off. I'm starting to think you're playing someone else's version of this mod.

EDIT: I guess I should say something about updates since I just bumped this for no real reason.

I plan to halfway revert to older sounds. The new sounds do have quite a bit of unnecessary reverb and can take up too much audio real estate.

I'm also thinking of replacing the ADS for the riot gun with either slugs or something of an incendiary shot. The only problem with the latter is that without changing monster animations, it might feel a little weird to kill something with fire and not have it die a fiery death. If I use slugs (or any other ammo, for that matter), to make it more believable I would have to animate the player ejecting all shells and reloading the new ammo which would take way too long. I got by with the chaingun's secondary because I tried to make it seem like the barrels spin faster, (charging the bullets with plasma-like friction, maybe?) and have it chew through ammo twice as fast. I've also thought about making the riot gun's secondary a grenade attachment that uses rocket ammo from the inventory, but I'm afraid that might make gameplay too easy. If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful. Or if you think it's fine the way it is, that's cool too.
IMO, if you want a fire-like death, could always change the plasma death sprites for monsters by adding a bit of red into it.

Since you are trying to take a more realistic spin on the weapons and mods, maybe for the riotgun:

Explosive slugs. To load it? Doomguy simply pumps back his shotgun to eject the currently loaded shell and with the ejection port still open, he puts in the new shell and pumps forward. That way, you get one shot with it and instantly goes onto the normal rounds (if there was ammo loaded to begin with). This would cut down on loading animation time and would be faster.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

faslrn wrote: Explosive slugs. To load it? Doomguy simply pumps back his shotgun to eject the currently loaded shell and with the ejection port still open, he puts in the new shell and pumps forward. That way, you get one shot with it and instantly goes onto the normal rounds (if there was ammo loaded to begin with). This would cut down on loading animation time and would be faster.
I'd just like to take responsibility for this here since I was talking to him on Steam and haven't slept in like 20 hours so I forgot how shotguns work.

Since this'd cause a double feed, what I actually should have said was to load a shell normally (requires an empty space in the magazine though) and then just pump the currently chambered shell. Presto. Loaded explosive slug.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Somagu wrote:
faslrn wrote: Explosive slugs. To load it? Doomguy simply pumps back his shotgun to eject the currently loaded shell and with the ejection port still open, he puts in the new shell and pumps forward. That way, you get one shot with it and instantly goes onto the normal rounds (if there was ammo loaded to begin with). This would cut down on loading animation time and would be faster.
I'd just like to take responsibility for this here since I was talking to him on Steam and haven't slept in like 20 hours so I forgot how shotguns work.

Since this'd cause a double feed, what I actually should have said was to load a shell normally (requires an empty space in the magazine though) and then just pump the currently chambered shell. Presto. Loaded explosive slug.
"forgot how shotguns work"

they go boom
ukkoclap

Post by ukkoclap »

Does this mod only work with Zdoom? I tried using this mod with Doomsday but doesnt work
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE July 09, 2016]

Post by Lippeth »

So I did my best to fix the minigun and plasma rifle bug occurring with the newest git build for GZDoom. I'm not the most active on here, so unless I get an IM I may not immediately know that anything's wrong. And because my coding knowledge is limited, I tend to experiment until I find a solution that seems to work, which may result in errors and incompatibilities. Not to make excuses, but I'm more of an animator and sound designer so coding is not my strength. I still do my best and welcome feedback of any kind.

I've also re-balanced damage output and firing frames for the minigun and riot gun, updated the muzzle flash for all weapons, and fixed/changed weapons sounds to remove some of the reverb.

Edit: Updated link is in the main post as always.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

thanks man
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Wow, I just downloaded this yesterday and played around with it a bit, and it gets updated today. Nice.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I've noticed a few other compatibility issues when running this mod with the newest dev build of GZDoom. Several frames in the raise and lower animations of certain weapons seem to jump around and I have no idea why. I could simply adjust each offending frame to compensate, but I'd rather not in case another issue is causing it. I'd be grateful If anyone has a clue as to why this is happening or what can be done on my end to fix it.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Most likely it's happening because of the raise/lower/etc. interpolation that was added recently. A few other people are having similar problems. There's an example in the bugs forum right now, if that's helpful.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

That actually explains everything, thanks so much!
Dirty Harold

Post by Dirty Harold »

Awesome mod but Is there any way to remove the smoke effect from the pump shotgun? I always get lag whenever I shoot it.
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

Please make the Zombieman haves full/auto fire shoots
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Dirty Harold wrote:Awesome mod but Is there any way to remove the smoke effect from the pump shotgun? I always get lag whenever I shoot it.
I agree with that as well. It would be nice if there was an option to disable certain graphical elements like that or shell casings.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Great suggestions! Several people have asked about these features for a while now, so I'm working on adding them to the options menu, which I'm new to doing so there may be some questions about scripting and cvars in the near future.

Faspons by faslrn already has some of these features, so feel free to check out his version!

So far I plan to add toggle options for smoke effects and shell casings, but I may also think about an option to replace the pistol and combat rifle with a 1911 and mp40, as well as zombiemen that shoot more aggressively or even replacing them with the all too cliche Nazi zombies to have the mp40 make sense. I try to keep this mod weapons only, but I've had too many people suggest the zombieman bit, so I may add it as an option.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see in the next update!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”