Canyon.wad (wip)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
illuknisaa

Canyon.wad (wip)

Post by illuknisaa »

Doomguy takes a trip through a canyon and meets new "friends".

This wad contains all sort of cool stuff like big brown crates, imps jumping on top of big brown crates and SLROCK1 texture.

map01 is complete (aka in a never ending tweaking cycle) and map02 is in alpha. I'll probably make 3-4 more maps.

Technical stuff:
Advanced engine needed : gzdoom (I'm currently using 2.1.1, older version have had issues, newer dev builds should work)
Other files required : http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... -brutality

Make sure you have the proper load order and have the required files or gzdoom will crash (see readme).

pics:
http://imgur.com/a/a4TuL

DL link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ya2c6 ... Canyon.zip

old op:
Spoiler:
Last edited by illuknisaa on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: Canyon.wad (wip)

Post by Vostyok »

Alert! Your download seems to be an invalid link.
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

Both his download links got jumbled together somehow.

Here's the wad.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2ym1m ... canyon.wad

Here's the brightmaps.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/njuus ... sDoom2.pk3

On a side note: I got the "you have exceeded the maximum number of login attempts" message. Looks like someone was trying to hack in as me. Time to change the password.

Edit: I just realized this is the third version of this wad you've posted. Why do you keep making a new thread instead of updating the original one?
illuknisaa

Post by illuknisaa »

EffinghamHuffnagel wrote:Both his download links got jumbled together somehow.

Here's the wad.

Here's the brightmaps.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/njuus ... sDoom2.pk3

Edit: I just realized this is the third version of this wad you've posted. Why do you keep making a new thread instead of updating the original one?
Ty. I didn't realize that I had messed up the links.

Third version? This is my third post on this forum so I don't see how I've managed to make three threads about this wad.
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

This had better be using canyon.mid as its music.

I don't even care if it wouldn't fit the atmosphere of the level.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Shadow Hog wrote:This had better be using canyon.mid as its music.

I don't even care if it wouldn't fit the atmosphere of the level.
For some reason that was exactly my thought.
EffinghamHuffnagel wrote:Edit: I just realized this is the third version of this wad you've posted. Why do you keep making a new thread instead of updating the original one?
I'm not sure where that came from; this guy has only existed on the forums for one day and this is his only thread. There aren't even any logs in the Moderator Panel that threads have been deleted.
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

My apologies. I tend to copy the author's OP with the download link to keep with the wad so I know who made it and where it came from. I found two other copies of this wad in my download folder. All three have different sizes and dates. The accompanying text files didn't match this OP, so I made a wrong assumption. Looking more closely, the others were posts from the Doomworld forum. I was dumb. Mea culpa. :oops:

That aside, I finally played this. There aren't a lot of maps designed to require jumping and crouching. Nicely done. Lots of different ways to go. Unfortunately, I think I missed about half the map. I saw a central spot near the beginning that I thought I could make with a running jump, and did. I climbed and jumped and climbed and jumped and then stumbled onto a blue key, and soon thereafter a switch that raised the bridge to the exit. I backtracked and that was it. I'll have to go through it again more carefully. So far I really like it.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Just wanted to say this map goes along great with Hideous Destructor.
illuknisaa

Post by illuknisaa »

Just updated the wad.

Biggest change is the removal of "the conveyor belt" -puzzle and replacing it with a easier "press the button" -puzzle.
I also tweaked some areas visually and added more ammo to the map.

todo:
I haven't done anything with the nukage route and I think it needs more balancing (currently it has almost zero ammo and health)
Make map02 playable.

@EffinghamHuffnagel
What do you mean by "central spot near the beginning"?
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

EffinghamHuffnagel wrote:Edit: I just realized this is the third version of this wad you've posted. Why do you keep making a new thread instead of updating the original one?
Maybe you're thinking of this?
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Just so you know, you can skip the entire level by clearing that jump at the beginning, which is definitely possible. Will give better feedback after I finish it normally.
illuknisaa

Post by illuknisaa »

Somagu wrote:Just so you know, you can skip the entire level by clearing that jump at the beginning, which is definitely possible. Will give better feedback after I finish it normally.
Are you sure? I've tried it myself multiple times and I can't do it. I'm not claiming I'm an expert on platforming but my jumps seem to be good 64 units away when I try it.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Haven't played it with HD yet, but definitely liking what I'm seeing!

(also pls don't fix the jump-skip-map, that's hilarious and the player should totally be allowed to take that exit at their discretion as a reward for making the jump)
illuknisaa

Post by illuknisaa »

updated op.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Bad DL link. Also, is Project Brutality really required, or just suggested?

Return to “Levels”