More HeXen HD textures, updated

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Drake Raider

More HeXen HD textures, updated

Post by Drake Raider »

Now. This was more of something I was doing for myself, arising from my long-festering hatred of the blurryness of trilinear filtering and the cartoonyness of Hq4X, but figured, hey, whatever. I know there's other HD texture packs out there, even for hexen, but to my knowledge (admittedly possibly wrong) none of them were finished. Additionally, in my experience, I wasn't a huge fan of their effect on the feel of the game. So I booted up Gimp, added a "Batch Edit" Program, and set myself a tinkering. And here's my take on the idea.

Most of the textures I've done are in 4x resolution. I have the upscaling done for all the textures on my hard drive, but I need to finish renaming and such to properly implement. All flats should work, as well as the bell in Winnowing Hall. They're designed to still have a pixellated feel, to hit my personal nostalgia filter, but they're alot sharper and crisper. Personally, once I finish I think I'll only play with these. As far as other peeps go, it's up to you. But give it a try! I got most of the main textures implimented, all I have left are the annoying little ones like switches. Should be a day or two to finish.

Also, I decided to do some blurring on a handful of textures to see if I liked it better, like the brass doors with dragons on them. I'm not sure. I think I prefer the pixelization of the rest, but I'm not concrete either way. Tell me what ya think!

Update:

Alright. Finished all textures and flats, if anyone's interested. Also. Some more screenshots.

Screenshots (a tad big):
Spoiler:
Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tshx9 ... roject.pk3

Old:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Drake Raider on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: More HeXen HD textures, kinda.

Post by Jimmy »

I admit to being a little confused here. You can totally turn off trilinear filtering in the options menu, and that gives you crisp non-blurry textures like you have here. :? Wholly less mixed results as well, since you've put manually blurred and manually non-blurred textures together from the look of things here.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Yeah, it's kind of a WIP as I figure out what I want to look at. I do leave Trilinear off, etc, but then the resolution is a tad low for 1080p. My versions are a slightly more detailed, to the point that higher monitor resolutions actually have a noticeable difference.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

But they're still ultimately the same resolution, if you're not actually redrawing any of them.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Twas more of an experiment to see how much power GIMP's plugins had over an assumed preset image. Personally, I like these versions alot more than the original textures, and am content to play with them. Though if I can get the images into an acceptable HD level W/O changing the feel too much, I'd be pretty happy.I'm still tinkering however.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Maybe post an image of a couple original textures beside your remade ones. Without seeing them side-by-side people might not be able to tell what's really different from the screenshots, but just putting the flat texture images up might help with explaining it?
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Twas a good idea, but... Looking at them side by side myself has a completely different look than they do ingame for some reason.
The originals have more flow, but mine have more crispiness. I want to somehow reach a point where I have both... someday.

Left: Original, upscaled 4x with no interpolation. Right: Mine at normal resolution>
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Rather than being HD textures, these really actually just appear to be high-contrast textures. Which isn't a bad thing, but ironically it actually brings out the pixel count MORE than the original textures did. Some are a bit harsh to look at, but I actually like this idea a lot. Would like to see how it looks with other games.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Somagu wrote:Rather than being HD textures, these really actually just appear to be high-contrast textures. Which isn't a bad thing, but ironically it actually brings out the pixel count MORE than the original textures did. Some are a bit harsh to look at, but I actually like this idea a lot. Would like to see how it looks with other games.
Agreed! I think it looks pretty good though, in addition to being a cool idea. :D
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Alright. Finished all textures and flats, if anyone's interested. Also. Some more screenshots.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tshx9 ... roject.pk3
Spoiler:
Drake Raider

Re: More HeXen HD textures, updated

Post by Drake Raider »

Sorry about double posting. Anyway. I updated again. This time I think I solved the pixelization problem. I'm also updating the sprites and graphics, working on this project simultaneously for ZDoom and Doomsday.

So far, I did the Mage's wand, the Bishop, the Disk of Repulsion, and alot of freeze frames. As well as all the flats and textures.

Warning. Big.
Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6ib4p ... 282%29.pk3
Last edited by wildweasel on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Read the rules and learn how to resize your pictures!
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: More HeXen HD textures, updated

Post by Kinsie »

Looks like you just applied a batch that resizes every texture and applies a sharpen effect and other ugly overlay filters to them. It's like I'm really playing a "HD textures" mod for Skyrim!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”