[NEW!] Doom Delta v2.0 Released!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby DrPyspy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:36 am

Kinsie wrote:Actually, while it's on my mind, how does the Bulky Helmet HUD handle widescreen?


Currently there is no widescreen support, but it is planned. Essentially the base sprite HUD will expand to fit the resolution, somewhat like this:

Image

This is an old placeholder from early in the mod's development. Something I'd like to do is have the bottom two spaces keep their size consistent between resolutions, so there isn't a bunch of blank space in resolutions that aren't 4:3.
User avatar
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM
 
Joined: 21 Feb 2015
Location: Utah, USA

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby DrPyspy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:59 am

I'm currently experimenting with some additions to the character select screen. One of these additions include a face portrait for each character. One of the issues I have with it at the moment is that the inclusion screws up the layout of the screen, as the entire was was already full with each character's bio before, but now there really isn't any room for the bio. There is hardly even any room for the character's names anymore! A solution for this would be a new font, which I wouldn't mind setting up, and I'll probably end up going in that direction. I was planning on redesigning this menu to fit the aesthetic of the rest of the UI anyway. (please note that the face graphic is a placeholder, I had already been experimenting with faces before and the current one is just a recolor of a photo from google images, it won't be in the final release)

Image

Another thing I'm experimenting with is hiding unobtained weapons on the HUD. It works really well, although there is an issue with Doom 1; since the Super Shotgun is unobtainable, there is always a gap between the Shotgun and the Chaingun. I'll have to move this section of the HUD to ACS and have it dynamically update according to what weapons you have, so that there are never any gaps under any circumstances.

Image

I'd like to hear what you guys think of these additions, as I appreciate feedback!
User avatar
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM
 
Joined: 21 Feb 2015
Location: Utah, USA

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby Nevander » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:40 am

What if you made the box where the name, bio, and picture differently and instead had the name with a break between first and last, then the picture to the right of that, then move the bio up underneath the name and picture.

So like this:
Code: Select allExpand view
 _______________________
| First Name  | Picture |
| Last Name   |         |
|-----------------------|
| Bio                   |
|_______________________|
Nevander
Banned User
 
Joined: 06 Jan 2014

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby Captain J » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:03 pm

705VvIy.png
Fixed up a bit thanks to Nevander for the idea! Anyway looks good, i guess! But you might put more texts such as sex, bloodtype or height in the name room if possible, though. Also if you want more space for bio, i have nothing else to say but shorten down the portrait a bit.

And this mod's progress looks interesting and great. Can't wait to play this and share some feedback with you!
Last edited by Captain J on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby armymen12002003 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:06 pm

update is looking good i'm looking forward to playin it
User avatar
armymen12002003
Hostile!
 
Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Location: LV-426

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby PhAyzoN » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:04 pm

For the SSG HUD issue; how about simply sharing a line with the normal shotgun? Similar to how the "3" in the final HUD lights up with you have either shotgun. Or have the SSG just use the bottom space, heh.
PhAyzoN
 
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Location: Deimos

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby DrPyspy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:19 am

Captain J wrote:
705VvIy.png
Fixed up a bit thanks to Nevander for the idea! Anyway looks good, i guess! But you might put more texts such as sex, bloodtype or height in the name room if possible, though. Also if you want more space for bio, i have nothing else to say but shorten down the portrait a bit.


I like this! I hope you don't mind if I work off of this. As for the bio, I'm thinking of having the bio appear normally, and have the description of the character's abilities appear after you select the character, acting as a confirmation screen.

PhAyzoN wrote:For the SSG HUD issue; how about simply sharing a line with the normal shotgun? Similar to how the "3" in the final HUD lights up with you have either shotgun. Or have the SSG just use the bottom space, heh.


My only issue with that is that if you happen to miss any of the other weapons, there will still be the huge gap. I think I'll keep going with the ACS idea.
User avatar
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM
 
Joined: 21 Feb 2015
Location: Utah, USA

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby Captain J » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:24 am

DrPyspy wrote:I like this! I hope you don't mind if I work off of this. As for the bio, I'm thinking of having the bio appear normally, and have the description of the character's abilities appear after you select the character, acting as a confirmation screen.
Hey, my pleasure! And can't wait for the result then!
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby Rokim21 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:19 am

Where the download link for is mod?
Rokim21
 
Joined: 12 Apr 2016

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:43 am

Regarding the SSG issue, how about you just make the weapon available in The Ultimate Doom? This would please the people like me who want it and those who do not want it can simply choose not to use it.
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby DrPyspy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Rokim21 wrote:Where the download link for is mod?


The mod is not released yet, but the download link will be on the first page when it is released.

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Regarding the SSG issue, how about you just make the weapon available in The Ultimate Doom? This would please the people like me who want it and those who do not want it can simply choose not to use it.


I feel that the appearance of the Super Shotgun would mess with the balance of the Ultimate Doom levels. In my opinion, the Super Shotgun's excessive power is balanced by the appearance of the stronger monsters in Doom 2, but it makes the monsters in Doom 1 feel like cannon fodder due to how quickly it disposes of them. I'd also have no idea where to have the SSG spawn...
User avatar
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM
 
Joined: 21 Feb 2015
Location: Utah, USA

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:59 pm

DrPyspy wrote:I feel that the appearance of the Super Shotgun would mess with the balance of the Ultimate Doom levels. In my opinion, the Super Shotgun's excessive power is balanced by the appearance of the stronger monsters in Doom 2, but it makes the monsters in Doom 1 feel like cannon fodder due to how quickly it disposes of them. I'd also have no idea where to have the SSG spawn...


As I said, people are free not to use it. In a way, it could act as the Ultimate Doom's Unmaker.

Also, since Shotgunners drop their weapon upon death, the SSG could spawn in place of a regular shotgun already present in the level.
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby zrrion the insect » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:36 am

Re: the ssg HUD thing, you can use filters in your pk3 to load up a different version of the HUD for doom/doom 2. That say d1 doesn't have a gap where the ssg goes.
User avatar
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Location: Time Station 1: Moon of Glendale

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby DrPyspy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:53 am

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:As I said, people are free not to use it. In a way, it could act as the Ultimate Doom's Unmaker.

Also, since Shotgunners drop their weapon upon death, the SSG could spawn in place of a regular shotgun already present in the level.


A lot of maps use the Former Humans before any Shotgunners appear though, and since the first couple levels of most wads have secret shotgun spawns, a lot of people would be getting the Super Shotgun before the normal Shotgun.

zrrion the insect wrote:Re: the ssg HUD thing, you can use filters in your pk3 to load up a different version of the HUD for doom/doom 2. That say d1 doesn't have a gap where the ssg goes.


To follow up on this, the transfer of the weapon list to ACS was successful! The list now reacts properly to absent weapons, removing any gaps.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
DrPyspy
ITS NOT A PHASE MOM
 
Joined: 21 Feb 2015
Location: Utah, USA

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Postby BoJustBo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:27 pm

I think the idea of this mod is fun, but I think removing the arcane looking treasure items goes against the entire point of the mod which if I havn't misunderstood things is to get the alpha stuff (of which those belong) into the game.
BoJustBo
 
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gideon020 and 4 guests