Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheStrawberryOctopus

Re: Memoirs of Magic

Post by TheStrawberryOctopus »

Captain J wrote:Hope it doesn't upset the owners then! :P

Also, brilliant map! Now i'm hyped already!
You can also smash people down too!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

And i just know what will happen next!... Okay, i'll quit posting worthless things. Gotta wait!
TheStrawberryOctopus

Hello again, and heres another Map Showcase!

Today I will be Showing The Castle of Magic; the hub area for the game. This is the first area in the game, which is essentially a big square map that has multiple exits into other locations without it. In the garden area of the castle, you can see that the Inn, which was previously shown off, is featured here, which acts as the home for our heroes. The castle has many branching paths, which are color coded by the colors red, yellow, red and blue, which lead into other areas!

They are four exits at located on each of the sides of the castle, which lead out of the castle and into the outside of the castle; each color representing the directions of the other kingdoms (Blue Representing Lairs Area, Red Representing McKriegs Area, Yelllow Representing Lord Baraduses area, and Green representing King Honeydews area). They are also banners within the hallways which are also color coded to lead you to the entrances of the Arena, Library, Art Gallery and Cooking area.

You can also see the Throne Room here with King and Princess Essay at their thrones, with Loremaster Thesis at their Side, Behind their throne rooms is the Kings and Princesses Bedrooms, which contains paintings of the King, Loremaster and the Princess, as well as a picture of the tavern.

They are a quite secrets located in this area alone, but I think I should not show any of that off; I think we can all agree we would want you yourselves to experience that for yourselves!

I will see you all again soon for another area showcase!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

That's Really grandly Super! Can't wait to see even more screenshots!

And question, What kind of dialogue npcs will have? Strife style? or custom style?
TheStrawberryOctopus

Captain J wrote:That's Really grandly Super! Can't wait to see even more screenshots!

And question, What kind of dialogue npcs will have? Strife style? or custom style?
Custom Style!

Oh yes, I wanted to ask people here; a very strange question in fact, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I have been a tad worried lately about Bethesda having the rights to the Doom IP, and I was wondering; do they have the power to pull a Blizzard (ala Star Craft 2) and claim the rights to any mod produced?

I have no intention of selling this mod, but I am always wary of stuff like that with big companies, especially with the whole paid mods fiasco appearing. Especially because some of the characters featured in this are from my childhood and such.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

If this mod is not for sale or it's a standalone and does not have doom IWADs directly from the original game, i guess it's fine, IMO. Since everyone in this forum is eager to make their own mods to entertain us for free!

And it's all of a sudden, but if someone actually selling the doom mods especially if it's stolen, that should be the perfect example of sue-bait for bethesda.
TheStrawberryOctopus

Captain J wrote:If this mod is not for sale, i guess it's fine, IMO. Since everyone in this forum is eager to make their own mods to entertain us for free!

And it's all of a sudden, but if someone actually selling the doom mods especially if it's stolen, that should be the perfect example of sue-bait for bethesda.
I think you misunderstood. Bethesda is the one who tried selling Skyrim mods on Steam awhile back, whilst getting all the rights to the mods. They were were trying to do what Blizzard did where any custom map made in Star Craft 2 was owned by Blizzard.

My Concern is that Bethesda will do the same thing. I don't trust them after the whole paid mod fiasco.
Gez

Post by Gez »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote:I have been a tad worried lately about Bethesda having the rights to the Doom IP, and I was wondering; do they have the power to pull a Blizzard (ala Star Craft 2) and claim the rights to any mod produced?
No, they couldn't possibly make that claim for Doom mods since modding software is not made by them, so they can't enforce a user license on SLADE or GZDB getting ownership of works created in said software. Nor can they claim that for the engine since it has been released under the GPL long before they bought id Software and there now are third-party stand alone games (such as Freedoom). In short, a mod can be created for an engine they don't control, using software they don't control, for game data they don't control: they have absolutely no legal basis to attempt a claim.

And they have made no such attempt before, so they wouldn't have precedence either.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

That's what he said! I was meant to say that. So no worries!
TheStrawberryOctopus

Gez wrote:No, they couldn't possibly make that claim for Doom mods since modding software is not made by them, so they can't enforce a user license on SLADE or GZDB getting ownership of works created in said software. Nor can they claim that for the engine since it has been released under the GPL long before they bought id Software and there now are third-party stand alone games (such as Freedoom). In short, a mod can be created for an engine they don't control, using software they don't control, for game data they don't control: they have absolutely no legal basis to attempt a claim.

And they have made no such attempt before, so they wouldn't have precedence either.
Thank you!
I have actually lost sleep thinking about this, as I am not well too versed in the legal matters on this subject, but I am happy to have that clarified for me.

While they have not made an attempt with the classic doom games, I am just constantly reminded with what happened not too long ago with the whole skyrim modding thing. The idea of not only mods being monetized being a scary thought of itself, but the idea of them claiming rights to original content, including complete overhaul mods which would also fall into that category, would make modding stagnate in my opinion. Not many people would be inclined to give it them all when they have no claim to it anymore

But I am happy to have that clarified, and I no longer have to worry anymore!
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote: Today I will be Showing The Castle of Magic; the hub area for the game. This is the first area in the game, which is essentially a big square map that has multiple exits into other locations without it. In the garden area of the castle, you can see that the Inn, which was previously shown off, is featured here, which acts as the home for our heroes. The castle has many branching paths, which are color coded by thecolors red, yellow, red and blue, which lead into other areas!
what she/he meant wrote:red, yellow, green and blue
what i think she/he meant wrote: Red, red, red and red
Gez

Post by Gez »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote: I have actually lost sleep thinking about this, as I am not well too versed in the legal matters on this subject, but I am happy to have that clarified for me.

While they have not made an attempt with the classic doom games, I am just constantly reminded with what happened not too long ago with the whole skyrim modding thing. The idea of not only mods being monetized being a scary thought of itself, but the idea of them claiming rights to original content, including complete overhaul mods which would also fall into that category, would make modding stagnate in my opinion. Not many people would be inclined to give it them all when they have no claim to it anymore

But I am happy to have that clarified, and I no longer have to worry anymore!
Skyrim is a different thing because they control the primary modding tool (Creation Kit). They've been using the "we reserve the right to claim ownership of stuff created with this" for all their Construction Sets/Creation Kits since Morrowind (I remember finding readmes that insisted the mod had been created entirely with MWEdit and EnchantEd and that the TESCS was never used for creating it specifically because of that clause), but it's mostly a corporate ass-covering trick. Like suppose they decide to do a mod spotlight on their site, and then a mod author tries to litigate them about using his Original Content Donut Steel? Or what if they make some promotional stuff for a rerelease, and a lazy intern used a google search for screenshots instead of taking their own in the game, and one of the screenshots end up being of a mod, and the mod author then sue them because of that? Extremely unlikely as it is, lawyers see this as a liability hole to be plugged.
TheStrawberryOctopus

Hello Again, sorry for the slow update; I was at the hospital last week (It wasn’t anything major!) so I didn’t have a lot of time to work on stuff while recovering; but now I have something to show!

Here is one of the many Alchemy Shops owned by the Alchemist Family in the game; this particular one being ran by the Fire Alchemist; Each Alchemy shop visually are quite identical, but the contents of what is on for sale are quite drastically different!

In this shop, items that you can see featured here are the Agility, Intelligence and Strength Upgrade items, which, along with the Defense Upgrade, increase your stats of the character, making them overall stronger in specific fields when it comes to combat!

You can also see here the potions in the display case; these potions range from the Red Healing Potion, Blue Mana Potion, Green Mana Potion and the Summon Potion!.. Whats the Summon Potion for, you may ask?… well, thats something I will be covering soon, but you probably notice in the previous videos I posted that the stat bars have a HP, MP, AP and SP bar. We will see what the usage of the SP bar does in the future!

Another Item feature here is the Brimstone Ring, and Equipable item that allows you to traverse floors that can cause damage to the player over time, such as Lava. They are quite a few other rings in this game, which you can obtain by purchasing them in shops or by completing quests!

The last few items for sale here are the Flame Furnace Upgrade and the Fire Tome Upgrades, which are used to level up your Flame Furnace and Fire Tome weapons; Depending on which shop you are in, such as the Water Alchemist, Fire Alchemist, Earth Alchemist, Etc, they specialize in different weapon types!

I will see you all again soon for more map updates!
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

This looks absolutely amazing. I seriously cannot wait to be able to play this. Keep up the great work, and looking forward to a release!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Looks magical and dancy, and i wonder where's other Alchemist members? And adding some items that are only can be bought by achieve or complete something would be a wonder, btw!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”