[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
osjclatchford

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Post by osjclatchford »

very eagerly awaiting the release of this. will feel like timetravel playing this! doom as it could have been? should have been? might have been? whatever, its still an important part of history for doom and in turn zdoom.
A faithful representative of the doom bible text...

very well done sir!
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Looking good so far i can't wait to play this.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Well, colour me interested!
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Well, looks like some people are interested. When are you planning on releasing this, DrPyspy?
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

Deviluke Roy wrote:Well, looks like some people are interested. When are you planning on releasing this, DrPyspy?
There are some things left to be finished before it can be released. The class system is not entirely finished yet, but it will be finished soon. I've also wanted to experiment with making it so that the radar rotates with the direction you're facing, so that it is less confusing to read. I've been silent lately due to my lack of internet access, but I've got it back, so I'll be providing more updates on the mod in the near future. Now, for some updates:

You will be able to customize the appearance of enemies. For example, the lost soul. You can change the appearance from how it appears in the final game to how it appeared in earlier versions of Doom. You can also customize the behavior, too! If you don't like the hitscan attack from the alpha, you can choose the charge attack from the final game. As a compromise, the default option is a projectile attack, but you can switch it to the others at any time. Options like these are also planned for the Revenant and the Arachnotron, due to their different appearance/behavior in pre-release versions of Doom 2 respectively.

In addition, the HUD has been updated to highlight the current weapon that you're using for all weapons. This wasn't finished before mainly due to how tedious it is to set up for every single weapon. The secrets counter now flashes and plays a sound whenever you find a secret, so that you know when you have uncovered a secret or not. Secrets now also count towards your score:

Finally, here is the shot of the new main menu, styled after the menu in Doom 0.3:

durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

Looking good so far!
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

This mod is beautiful.

I want an autographed DOOM hintbook! Too bad it's about to get out. No hintbooks for us. : (
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

DrPyspy wrote:
Deviluke Roy wrote:Well, looks like some people are interested. When are you planning on releasing this, DrPyspy?
There are some things left to be finished before it can be released. The class system is not entirely finished yet, but it will be finished soon. I've also wanted to experiment with making it so that the radar rotates with the direction you're facing, so that it is less confusing to read. I've been silent lately due to my lack of internet access, but I've got it back, so I'll be providing more updates on the mod in the near future. Now, for some updates:

BLUBLUBIOLUBBULBO
Will there be an option to change the hud back to the one with Doomguy's head in the final game? I mean, I'm excided for the mod, but less excited for the hud (which I feel makes you only able to see what's in front of you. No offense.).
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

Deviluke Roy wrote:no offence
Why are you saying that? You think the guy is going to get ofended because you don't like the hud? REALLY?

Also: "which I feel makes you only able to see what's in front of you". What do you mean by that? The most confusing part is the "only". Doomguy, doesn't matter the aspect of the HUD, can only see his front. There is no HUD that lets your character look at front plus another direction.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

FaggoStorm wrote:
Deviluke Roy wrote:no offence
Why are you saying that? You think the guy is going to get ofended because you don't like the hud? REALLY?
Well, I'm saying that because I'm really nice and tend to say that because - *chough* - Sorry, I had cheese today. You have a point. "No offense" is only good for things that might be misinterpreted as discriminatory stuff.
FaggoStorm wrote:Also: "which I feel makes you only able to see what's in front of you". What do you mean by that? The most confusing part is the "only". Doomguy, doesn't matter the aspect of the HUD, can only see his front. There is no HUD that lets your character look at front plus another direction.
Well, maybe it's not "only", but I think that was me judging the hud based on the (Cheesy name alert) Doomguy head hud in the final version. Ah well, sorry 'bout that. I think it doesn't matter.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

DrPyspy wrote:
Nevander wrote:So basically any mapset that doesn't change vanilla actors? So the standard four IWADs for Doom at least? And any custom mapset that is just maps.
Yes. For example, Doom the Way iD Did would work, but Knee Deep in ZDoom would not work. Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom will all work.
Does it work with FreeDOOM?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Devianteist wrote:Does it work with FreeDOOM?
why not, its literally just using vanilla game logic. The boom extensions used by the maps shouldn't interfere with the operation of the mod.
Stachekip

Post by Stachekip »

Deviluke Roy wrote:Will there be an option to change the hud back to the one with Doomguy's head in the final game?
Well sorta, as shown in the first post, there's an option to use the default Alpha 0.3 HUD, so the bulky helmet UI isn't the only option. c:
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

Deviluke Roy wrote: Will there be an option to change the hud back to the one with Doomguy's head in the final game? I mean, I'm excided for the mod, but less excited for the hud (which I feel makes you only able to see what's in front of you. No offense.).
An alternate less-intrusive HUD is being included (like what Stachekip said) based off of the alternate HUD in Doom 0.3. SBARINFO does not support multiple status bar height definitions, and the default HUD is currently taller than what I currently have set up, so a correct default HUD would have to be a separate PK3, and I want to keep the base features of this mod contained in one PK3.
Devianteist wrote:Does it work with FreeDOOM?
Yep. As far as I know, any map works as long as it does not use the TID system. There might be some issues with maps that use custom MAPINFO definitions, as I'm currently using it to disable the 'real' intermission after each level. I'm currently looking for a way around this, but if all else fails, I can simply release compatibility patches for map packs that require it.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Actually, while it's on my mind, how does the Bulky Helmet HUD handle widescreen?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”