Cool mods people might have missed.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Daniel2

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Post by Daniel2 »

Hello people.

I discovered BD a few days ago, trying to make everything work too me some hours. I had a few questions but i don't realy want to bother you with a new thread to ask. What is the best tool to manage mods/wads?
I am using ZDL so far (3.2.2.3).

I saw a thread talking about voxels and i noticed in his external files list he had several stuff i never saw : ( // after this symbol i made some notes)
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47555
[doom.doom2.commercial.Autoload]
Path=lights.pk3 // dunno what that is but it looks interresting
Path=brightmaps.pk3 // dunno what that is but it looks interresting
Path=Addon\Improved_brightmaps.pk3 // dunno what that is but it looks interresting
Path=Addon\D2SPFX16.WAD // dunno what that is but it looks interresting is it x16 sprites?
Path=Addon\DoomMetalVol4.wad
Path=Addon\JDUI_GZDoom_RePack_1-0.pk3 // dunno what that is
Path=Addon\JDUI_DoomII_Addon.pk3 // dunno what that is
Path=Addon\brutalv20b.pk3
Path=Addon\BD_Voxel_Patch_3-2-1.pk3
Path=Addon\UDV_v1.71_A_BASE.pk3 // dunno what that is
Path=Addon\UDV_v1.71_B_ADD_IN_Mod_BDv20b.pk3 // dunno what that is
Path=Addon\UDV_v1.71_C_ADD_IN_Inventory_Goggles.pk3 // dunno what that is
Path=Addon\UDV_v1.71_C_ADD_IN_Inventory_HEV_Suit.pk3 // dunno what that is
Path=Addon\JDUI_BrutalDoom_Addon.pk3 // dunno what that is

I am very enjoying playing this game i played more than two decades ago now. I can't belive how i could have missed all the incredible stuff the community made for so many years. I found some TC/wads that are totaly awesome.
Thanks everyone involved for all that.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I can tell you that Lights.pk3 and Brightmaps.pk3 are included by default with GZDoom, but not loaded automatically.The rest looks like high-resolution textures and sprites, and the Ultimate Doom Visor HUD.
Daniel2

Post by Daniel2 »

Interrestingly he load brightmaps.pk3 and then improvedbrightmaps.pk3 i thouth it was one or the other but not both at the same time.

Does brightmap.pk3 works also with custom maps or just with official DOOM+DOOM2? I am trying Hell on Earth starter pack campaign and i find the game not creepy/dark enough.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

jeanlejeune1993 wrote:hey, i dont know if what im looking for actually exists but just incase it does... basically i really like all the detailed gore and effects and stuff that brutal doom adds but i dont like a lot of the gameplay changes such as the rolling and especially the executions and was wondering if there was a mod that just made old school doom all around more sexy, maybe enhances the AI a little bit to increase the pace but without going as overboard as BD, im familiar with smooth doom and some others and although theyre good mods they arent exactly what im looking for, thanks in advance!
cough... http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 14#p667382 even the name fits...:wink:
Gamzam

Post by Gamzam »

Any suggestions for a mod that focuses more on melee combat, or at least has interesting selective melee combat? Hand-to-hand is preferred, but melee weapons are real nice, too.
The ones I've already tried are Project Brutality, Demonsteele, and Russian Overkill-- and they're all great! I'm just looking for more, if anyone knows some.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I've been meaning to make one, it's just that I don't have a ton of time anymore between doing various tasks around the house and keeping my fiance safe. The man in question would be Lord DoomRater swinging his giant sword or throwing fireballs, but mostly dashing in and swinging his sword like Guts.
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

Gamzam wrote:Any suggestions for a mod that focuses more on melee combat, or at least has interesting selective melee combat? Hand-to-hand is preferred, but melee weapons are real nice, too.
The ones I've already tried are Project Brutality, Demonsteele, and Russian Overkill-- and they're all great! I'm just looking for more, if anyone knows some.
Play GMOTA.

In that mod you play as a mediaval knight with a badass sword and magic gauntlet. There are some new enemies in it, so don't use custom enemy mods.
Gamzam

Post by Gamzam »

DoomRater wrote:I've been meaning to make one, it's just that I don't have a ton of time anymore between doing various tasks around the house and keeping my fiance safe. The man in question would be Lord DoomRater swinging his giant sword or throwing fireballs, but mostly dashing in and swinging his sword like Guts.
Sounds like it'd be a great piece of work! Real life stuff definitely comes first, though. Keep it up, and maybe you'll get some well-needed free-time eventually.
FaggoStorm wrote:
Gamzam wrote:Any suggestions for a mod that focuses more on melee combat, or at least has interesting selective melee combat? Hand-to-hand is preferred, but melee weapons are real nice, too.
Play GMOTA.

In that mod you play as a mediaval knight with a badass sword and magic gauntlet. There are some new enemies in it, so don't use custom enemy mods.
I've tried this one already- I think the sword is kind of lackluster since there's not much variety in what you can do with it aside from powerups and stuff, but I definitely liked it, and the gauntlet too. Just the noise of the gauntlet kind of reminded me of Zelda for some reason.

Edit: Sorry to already be back with another little request, but does anyone know a mod that adds the ability to track monsters, either via the map or seeing them through walls? Something like that'd be super useful, but I haven't managed to find one yet. :oops:
Baconator

Post by Baconator »

jeanlejeune1993 wrote:hey, i dont know if what im looking for actually exists but just incase it does... basically i really like all the detailed gore and effects and stuff that brutal doom adds but i dont like a lot of the gameplay changes such as the rolling and especially the executions and was wondering if there was a mod that just made old school doom all around more sexy, maybe enhances the AI a little bit to increase the pace but without going as overboard as BD, im familiar with smooth doom and some others and although theyre good mods they arent exactly what im looking for, thanks in advance!
FASPONS
Thank me later.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I fear people don't know of my previous greatness, so just for those that weren't around over a decade ago:

Realm of the Green Soul :D

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... /p-r/rotgs

Enigma 13 :D

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... f/enigma13

Ignore the hateful comments, they'll be from people that are jealous of my amazing mapping skillz :D (don't take me serious because I don't :D)

On a side note, I can't leave comments on any of the maps, I wanted to talk shit about Enigma 13 and credit it as myself :D.

Oh, and some in-progress megawad called Evil Ideology by some person, or alien, or something...

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 39#p914739

:lol:

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Here's 2 cool level sets by 2 good friends of mine:

Visions of Eternity - A Ultimate Doom episode with some cool level design and classic gameplay. This one's by Tobias Münch and it was in development for quite some years. It also comes with a cool PDF booklet explaining the levels. I've been having some fun playing this, so if you're in to classic level design and gameplay then I definitely recommend this.

Hatomo Battles The Yomi Demons - This is a Doom 2 level set for Zdoom by Pablo Dictter (he created the 21st map for Alien Vendetta don't ye know) and Tobias Münch. Lots of cool detail in this one, as is to be expected from these 2.

These are 2 really good mappers that have been around for years, and I get the impression that they are somewhat underrated.

Enjoy.

:twisted:
edgymemester

Post by edgymemester »

Here's a mod someone made in 2011 in the style of Blood Alpha for Doom 2. Only about a level and a half have been completed, but it's fun to play nonetheless. There used to be a youtube video up featuring this mod which is no longer there, I haven't seen this mod be mentioned anywhere in years.

It's the first instance I know of of the Blood Alpha speargun appearing in a Doom mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vr7s3 ... d5/Abp.rar
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Wow, I just found this one by chance/curiosity....

http://static.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/wads/

File name: cdoom64_v2.wad

I launched it through Skulltag.
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

I don't mean to double post, however since this is new I figured I would post about it. Seeing as if you weren't subbed to Sgt. Mark on Youtube you wouldn't know about its release. And that release is "Brutal Doom Monsters Only version for playing with other mods"
Spoiler:
The link for the Mod is in the description, and he also links to a really cool CS source weapons pack that he used as one of hid demonstrations in the video.

Cool mod that some of you might have missed. 8-)
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

wildweasel wrote:I can tell you that Lights.pk3 and Brightmaps.pk3 are included by default with GZDoom, but not loaded automatically.

I've been playing GZDoom for a year or two now and didn't know this until now.

Return to “General”