[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
durbdoogle

Re: [v0.1.1] ARGENT - Xaser does Doom 4

Post by durbdoogle »

Xaser wrote:New content: Chain Faw! The hell with reverence!
Chain Faw?! That's my favorite power dool :lol:
Xaser

Re: [v0.1.2] ARGENT - Xaser does Doom 4

Post by Xaser »

Fronk! v0.1.2 is a thing!

Quick summary of what's new, off the top of my head:
  • Kickass new item sprites, thanks to Pillowblaster!
  • BFG revamp! Now comes in Modern and Classic flavors.
  • Powerups! Beef yourself up with Quad Damage, Haste (just movement speed for now), and Regen! Spawn replacements are toggleable in Mod Options.
  • Chain Faw! Find some Gibs!
  • New sounds for item pickups and splooshy gibs, for justice n' filesize.
  • A fancy Mod Options menu with a bunch of toggles for various things. Technically existed in v0.1.1 but it's got more stuff now.
  • Bugfixes and probably other misc. stuff I'm forgetting.
The mod system "exists" but isn't enabled just yet, since the only weapon which has mods is the Heavy Assault Rifle, but if you select it and pukename "GimmeMods", you can try it out. Be sure to bind a "Swap Weapon Mod" key in Mod Options, though this shares the same general bind as Reload so you may already have it bound.

Happy Mars-ing, folks!
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

so once again, i feel i should ask about the stability of devbuilds, seeing as this mod requires one. are they still gonna give issues with old mods not designed to work with the new devbuilds yet? or have that stuff kind of waned down now?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:so once again, i feel i should ask about the stability of devbuilds, seeing as this mod requires one. are they still gonna give issues with old mods not designed to work with the new devbuilds yet? or have that stuff kind of waned down now?
I think for the most part you'll be fine. I've been goofing around with a handful of really old ZDoom mods myself; grnade_x.wad and dstroy_x.wad presented me no problems when I tried them last week, and those date back to like 2003.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

In case someone would want the truecolor versions - here they are, free of charge, just remember to credit. :P
Spoiler:
Viscra Maelstrom

wow, those pickups are really slick looking.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Great work! and to me, doom 2016 armor series looks like they are for 80's action figures and such. Maybe they are lack of colors unlike others, i guess!
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Pillowblaster's pickup sprites remind me of Duke Nukem 64, for some reason.
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

The SSG looks weird like that, maybe could you add a hand holding the shotgun?
ravage

Post by ravage »

pre-1075-g4899c40, the bfg's beam attack instantly murders you.
Viscra Maelstrom

wildweasel wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:so once again, i feel i should ask about the stability of devbuilds, seeing as this mod requires one. are they still gonna give issues with old mods not designed to work with the new devbuilds yet? or have that stuff kind of waned down now?
I think for the most part you'll be fine. I've been goofing around with a handful of really old ZDoom mods myself; grnade_x.wad and dstroy_x.wad presented me no problems when I tried them last week, and those date back to like 2003.
i forgot to reply here, but i was asking this since threads for stuff like DoomRL Arsenal say that the latest devbuilds are still "an explosion", so i've been wary switching to devbuilds for this reason. i guess i could just make an extra folder for a devbuild of GZDoom now, or is that really necessary?
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
i forgot to reply here, but i was asking this since threads for stuff like DoomRL Arsenal say that the latest devbuilds are still "an explosion", so i've been wary switching to devbuilds for this reason. i guess i could just make an extra folder for a devbuild of GZDoom now, or is that really necessary?
That's pretty much what I do since some of the mods I have downloaded either don't work with the stable builds (Doomzone for example) or don't work with the dev builds (Johnny Doom for example). I have three GZDoom folders: one that contains the official/stable release, one for the dev/SVN build, and one with "core files" (essential mods, IWADS, saves, etc.) that I can easily copy/paste into the official/stable and dev/SVN builds.

Granted, the core file folder on my HDD is almost 1.5 GBs but I'm not exactly hurting for space either. :V
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

@ravage: Welp. Somewhere along the chain, the "don't hurt shooter" info is getting lost. Thought I'd set the right flags when I did the same thing for ZDCMP2's Soulrender, but turns out that one self-damages too. Double-welp.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I'd love to hear 'em. Otherwise I'll end up protecting players via damagetype with the knowledge I'll need to change the behavior a bit for the eventual multiplayer support bit... though that's ages away. :P
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i guess i could just make an extra folder for a devbuild of GZDoom now, or is that really necessary?
That's what I do. There are indeed known issues in the current devbuilds, but they also won't fix themselves if nobody plays 'em.

In my own testing, things all seem to be fine with the classic "weapon mod + non-zdoom map" approach, which frankly is what I tend to stick to when playing gameplay mods since there's less chance of conflict. Certainly a bit safer starting there.
Viscra Maelstrom

the chainsaw seems a bit wonky to me. it seems to slide all around when you try to hit an enemy, like it's ice physics on it. furthermore, starting a level with it selected will make it not play its idle sound.

the new secret sound doesn't seem to play at all?

and also, how do i get any of the new guns, like the Gauss Cannon and Chaingun?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Gauss and Chaingun are dropped by Cyberdemons/Spider Masterminds. Best place I could think of for sneaking them in.

I may make the chainsaw do its move-into-enemy thing only once every other hit -- that'll make it as "sticky" as the original chainsaw.

I didn't enable the secret sound, just plunked it in the wad and forgot about it. Easy fix. :P

Thanks for the reports, heh -- Tweaks Happen(tm).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”