[A.1x1 released] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pink Baron

[A.1x1 released] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Post by Pink Baron »

DOWNLOAD LAST VERSION (1x1) HERE:

Version A1x1 (02/05/2017) --- GZDoom 3.0.0 recommended

Old version

I was sick bored to see people fantasizing about it and not doing anything, and/or hearding people announcing projects before leaving everyone into the dust - and no playable wad. So I've decided to test my skills on my very first project: Nightmare of the Sin (or "NotS" for short).
This is meant to be a Castlevania gameplay mod for Doom 2 on GZdoom ports. Yes, another one.
And yes, i'm bad at doing (old) screenshots:
Spoiler:
NotS Alpha (Base + Richter) ---> Alpha 1^2 (we are here) ---> NotS Beta (Alucard) ---> NotS Gamma (Maria, DXC version) ---> NotS Delta (class sprites, final touches) ---> Final Release

What it's NotS
To quote Unusually Unearthed Productions's words, this is the result of "if Castlevania meets Doom". In other words, what CV would look like in a 3d-ish engine.
While taking some liberties, this mod recreates the mechanics behind the earlier games of said franchise - weapons, damage calculation, huds, powerups, and so on. Those assets can be used by modders as a built-in base for their maps and/or wads. It can be used stand-alone as a gameplay mod, for both Doom and Doom II.

Features
  • Basic set of working assets to give modders an headstart for the making of future CV-themed content (maps/mods)
  • Also works as a Gameplay mod just fine
  • 3 classes to choose from (1 avaiable for now - the Demon Hunter), each with their own arsenal, powerup, huds, and pickups
  • The first mod featuring a fully funcional (?) Whip - rips enemies, can be swung in-air, repels enemy fire, also fully customizable
  • New sprites never seen anvywhere else, including 16-rotations projectiles
  • New damage system: DPS of all weapons is now fixed...even ripper ones (in other words, if an enemy should die in 3 hits, it WILL die in 3 hits)
  • Estensive CVar customization - not just visual options, but core gameplay aspects as well. 166 CVars avaiable, either editable via options or CVARINFO lump
  • Some other extras you should find yourself out
  • Best used with DamNums by Xaser (see HERE)

The gameplay style
You start the game picking 1 of the 3 Player Classes (only one avaiable for now); each one has a different arsenal, and each weapon has his own uses and purposes.
Each class has his own primary weapon, and their subweapons. Also, each class has their own pickups but don't fret, you will never face the experience of finding an item before realizing you couldn't use it because it was designed to a different class - if you can see it, then you are able to grab it.

The primary weapon is avaiable at the start and it is the one you will use most of time.
The Subweapons are essentially the secondary fire of the primary weapon, and they consume ammo with each use. Each subweapon works differently from the others, and they work best when used right: for example, the Holy Water can wipe out groups of little enemies in an area, the Ricochet Rock if you need to strike from behind a wall (or some satanic guy's head), and so on.

You can change the subweapon the same way you could do it for a standard weapon. The icon change from the HUD (different from each class) will notify you the successful switch.
Finally, Subweapons consume Hearts - not to be confused with the Player Health - this is their ammo and it is shared with all subweapons.

Mod contents (Alpha 1^2)
While NotS should support multiple player classes, only one is avaiable for now - Richter, the Vampire Hunter - so let's see what has in his arsenal:
Spoiler:
NSFAQ (Not so Frequently Asked Questions)
Q: Please briefly describe the changes of this version.
A: In short...no new character, new visual effects, strenghtened code, updated HUD, balanced weapons, a TON possible customization via CVars and some extras. An Alpha 1.0 done (supposedly) right.

Q: Will this mod work on Ultimate Doom?
A: Not tried yet, but should be compatible as well.

Q: Are custom monsters included in this mod?
A: No. Making custom monsters requires both dedication and time, something I can't afford to. On the bright side, someone will likely want to "fill" the gap, as everything else is already in there: all they have to do is create the DraculaClone V.666.2 monster and that's all, no additional coding required.
Also note that this wad doesn't alter enemies AT ALL, meaning that all special "rules" applying them (es. Bosses may drop Megaspheres) can also be used on custom ones as well.

Q: Are custom maps included in this mod?
A: No, see above answer. As I've already said, those interested making CV-themed maps for this base are free (and encouraged!) to do so.

Q: Who is the protagonist? You call him Richter, but in game sounds like Simon...we don't know the answer!
A: Neither I do.
(Seriously...this is intentional. Modders should be free to add in whatever voice pack they like. Be Simon, be Rolfe, I gave you a canvas. You decide.)

Q: But--
A: You should remember that NotS was born as a base for further CV-themed maps and/or mods. Albeit it's perfectly safe and right to use it straight as a gameplay wad, this aspect is secondary.

Q: What about ZScript?
A: No ZScript whatshowever was used in this mod, for a few reasons: one, there isn't enough support yet (you can't look the wiki for how to use certain functions, nor see examples); two, shifting standards requires time (especially when you have just "mastered" DECORATE!); three, I don't see any real advantages to justify the shift, yet.

Q: Is NotS multiplayer compatible?
A: Nes. I coded with the optical of multiple players in mind (for example, the Whip already has 8 separate lines when it comes to dealing damage - 1 per each player - to correctly calculate recovery time on monsters in some circustances), but I didn't make any test on this side, nor I know how to do such a thing. Same when comes to Zandronum. Thus nes, the multi support is there but you have to correctly link the cables to do so.

Q: I want to make NotS multi compatible, may I count on your support?
A: If doing so you encounter in a bug, and/or if you don't know what a code piece does, I'll try my best to lend you an hand.

Q: I want to make NotS Heretic/Hexen compatible!
A: Go ahead...but I didn't play neither of those, so you are on all of your own. Be warned.

Q: You said there was +150 CVars, but when I go on the options I see only a dozen or so...
A: The vast majority of them is shelted in the CVARINFO lump, if what you want is to edit some gameplay values you HAVE to open the WAD with SLADE and manually edit it. This is intentional, as encourages players going on modding.

Q: I want to use your stuff in my wad!
A: Free to do so, just give me credits. Note, this only counts when it comes to my stuff, see credits page if you have to ask permission on other users as well before using NotS material.

Q: I think this X thing is unbalanced!
A: If so, simply edit those CVars to match your likings.
CREDITS:
- Konami, for his CV franchise - basic inspiration, sprite concept (as I've redone most of them), sounds, etc;
- ID Software, for its Doom/Doom2, also for Plasmagun sprite used as the Ricochet Rock;
- PillowBlaster, who let me (?) use his Mace sprite from RO in earlier releases;
- The crew of following mods as source of both inspiration for features included in NotS and reference material:
  • Russian Overkill (by PillowBlaster, again!);
  • D4D ("obsolete" DECORATE coding standard, ripper damage, CVar customization, Powerup manager);
  • Graceful Doom (by Lork - monster CV pain effect);
  • Beautiful Doom (by Jekyll Grim Payne - dynamic lights master switch);
  • Agent ME and its Multi-Jumping ACS script;
- Skelegant, for a couple of sound effects;
- Unusually Unearthed Productions, for the incipit of this mod;
- amv2k9 and his Heretic Compatibility, sadly of a now obsolete version;
- Hornetzero, the first NotS supporter EVER;
- Pink Baron, who passed through all this.
Changelog
Spoiler:
Last edited by Pink Baron on Tue May 02, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Carbine Dioxide

Re: [First Beta] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

That sounds like a lot of sprite work. I've tried to work on some Castlevania monster sprites for Doom, but it hasn't worked out for me so far.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

First, i got ContraDoom, now this one? gotta eye on that one now, since Konami made Castlevania... (and contra)
Big C

Post by Big C »

This mod had BETTER have "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!" as one of the quit-text lines. :P
Pink Baron

Post by Pink Baron »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:That sounds like a lot of sprite work. I've tried to work on some Castlevania monster sprites for Doom, but it hasn't worked out for me so far.
Not really. As I said, this a gameplay mod, which is different from a total conversion. Infact, it will only include player classes and their weapons; no custom monsters are to be included on this pack.

I'm aware of the effort needed to create custom monsters with custom animations: this is a common mistake when it comes to import a game into another engine, they recklessly add one cool feature after another without bothering building a solid base first. It's like when you build an house, you may want to add that favorite window of yours but without a proper wall, soon or later it will fall.
Big C wrote:This mod had BETTER have "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!" as one of the quit-text lines. :P
This is easy to do, and it can be done in a matter of seconds. Note that some quotes may need to be adapted, otherwise the player will think that this mod is a copy/paste of a better franchise, rather than a project inspired by it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Pink Baron wrote:I was sick bored to see people fantasizing about it and not doing anything, and/or hearding people announcing projects before leaving everyone into the dust - and no playable wad.
now this just stings my heart and made me agree, i'm dreaming of one mod i want to make but i've never progressed it anyways. and yes, i'm going to make my own mod eventually.

now enough with the off-topic words, i think the screenshot at the first page seems broken. also this mod seems pretty interesting, i'll be watching!

EDIT: nevermind about the broken image, have no idea why i can see it now, but good to me!
Pink Baron

Re: [05/04/2016 - 0.22 Beta] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Post by Pink Baron »

I - AM - NOT - DEAD - YET
Spoiler:
I've said before, I'm not as skilled at spriting as I do scripting...and that's why I lost about 5 days to achieve such a basic result.

Updated the first post and the mod: mostly visual changes like the Hud and the Quit messagges.

I'll go on on the weapon scripting for the other classes after the whip sprite is 3/4 done: I can't do half of a sprite when I can do everything else on the same timespan.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [05/04/2016 - 0.22 Beta] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Post by Captain J »

neat retrospective anime-like sprite, keep going with it please!
Pink Baron

Re: [11/06/2016 - 0.87 Alpha] - Nightmare of the Sin (NotS)

Post by Pink Baron »

EDIT: Long story short, I've lost two months on learning Blender modeling, making a Whip out of it, and FINALLY updating the Wad with a (almost) megawad-ready alpha!
Download on the first post

Changelog, from the pk3 file:
Spoiler:
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Very Nicely done and polished in coding I must say. Doom is an odd choice for this though. I'm fairly certain this would go a lot better in Heretic and Hexen.

EDIT: Nevermind, it works with both of them. :D
Pink Baron

Post by Pink Baron »

Hornetzero wrote:Very Nicely done and polished in coding I must say. Doom is an odd choice for this though. I'm fairly certain this would go a lot better in Heretic and Hexen.

EDIT: Nevermind, it works with both of them. :D
Thanks about the coding, but it must be it: other modders won't be able to make their own addon/total conversion/mapset otherwise.
I know that both Heretic and Hexen were better choices to start the wad on, but I've never played neither of them, also there's another CV wad supporting them as far as I'm aware. But let's be honest: you can't say no to dozens of Demons or Imps pierced by the same Whip strike. You do? :3:

Even still, say you want to see this on other Iwads? Free to do so, albeit you should want to wait until the half of beta stage (when Alucard is added), when the Dynamic Replacers (already in-wad) will finally be able to do their work. It's hard to explain, let's say they are different class-based items, all compressed in one actor. But with different sprites (!)

Remember that this is (or wants to be) a multi-class based wad for the Single Player of Doom 2, on the GZdoom port, BUT coded in such a way to be compatible to other, future, possibilities. For example, any modder who wants to add a multi-coop addon to this mod should not focus on issues like preventing players from picking up items/subweapons from other classes, or even see them, since the items are already coded to prevent such a case (=> Dynamic Replacers).
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Woah, I might finish my castlevania project now that this is a thing.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Replacing the blur artifacts with the time stop powerup really helps...but only the ricochet rock and the whip are unaffected by the time stop.

Speaking of the subweapons, I like the axe being able to hit stuff above ledges, the dagger's not useless (like it usually is in the games...though I'm sure the item crash version in Doom'll be awesome.) and the ricochet rock's neat for taking out enemies around corners or in tight corridors (Plutonia's Map32 comes to mind.) And apparently Holy Water's useful for stunlocking some of those big enemies. (I mean the wider ones.)

The cross, ironically, I don't really find as useful...but I won't lie its potential for ripping through the bigger enemies. (*cough* Spider Mastermind *cough*) Need I mention I love the fact that the whip can destroy enemy projectiles? Cyberdemons aren't so painful anymore.

Edit: One more thing, making the full health items count towards the item percentage is not a good idea, especially if the player wants to keep their health as high as possible.
VicBorAng

Post by VicBorAng »

Is there a Specifi Version of Zdoom/Gzdoom this mod works on?

I was using "/zdoom-2.8pre-1865-g7c6237e" for the 0.2 version of NotS. But it isn't working for the new version.
Pink Baron

Post by Pink Baron »

Since the wad is centered about using different classes, I'm working on items capable of giving both different pickups sounds AND messagges for each class, and the first tests tells me that I'm picking the right direction. For example, the Berserk pack (name and sprite subject to change) will tell to Richter that his Whip range was increased (yes, it can do it too!), while reserving some anti-diabetes telling for Maria, and so on...

The Ricochet Rock wasn't supposed to go while freezed, it will be fixed next version.
(The Time Freeze - AKA Clock - encourages the player to use his main weapon, not otherwise)

I've already noticed that the Cross isn't powerful as far as any other slot 6 weapon, but couldn't found anything before to compensate...the ability to repel enemy projectiles - like the Whip does now - in the next version should work. Note that it will consume more hearts though.
Also, there will be some adjustments damage-wise via weakness and resistances...nothing too complicated, simply means that bigger enemies will get less damage from smaller weapons, named Daggers and Rocks.
Is there a Specifi Version of Zdoom/Gzdoom this mod works on?
Use the last GZdoom version. Tried just now, it works.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”