Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - A Final Update

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DoomKrakken

Re: Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - Version 3 Fighter Demo

Post by DoomKrakken »

I never liked the idea of Baratus having an axe and shield in place of his spiked gauntlets. They should all have their vanilla arsenals, except Baratus should wield a shield with Timon's Axe and the Hammer of Retribution.

EDIT: And (maybe) with the Quietus too. Classic sword and shield. :D
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
nakkemake

Post by nakkemake »

I cant see enemy status bar in heretic?

I'm using 2.1.1 gzdoom.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Daedolon, i have finaly hoster Brutal Heretic in a festival, i used Software mod with Gzdoom...even if we can't take health or activate health items, people had a lot of fun with it (like buckshot mod).
It was really fast and violent, i liked to see that, this mod is so brutal !
Spoiler:
I hope You will continue the Brutal Heretic RPG mod, people like it, even in the south of FRANCE! ;)
But again, need a zandronum version to host permanent server with BestEver server !

Heretic powa!!
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

@Manhs
I'm glad you had a lot of fun with this mod at the festival. I'm going to continue working on these projects, so don't worry about me abandoning it or anything. There may be periods of time where I don't upload anything at all because I'm working on something even better, but I never will abandon a project that I have already uploaded a version of.

@nakkemake
I'm not sure why it would be acting this way. Have you tried adjusting the HUD size or changing some options?

Sorry I've been silent for so long. Between trying to gather enough high school credits to graduate, and some other Doom and Hexen projects I've been working on, I've been incredibly busy. To all of you who may be wondering when I plan on updating this mod, I would just like to say that I've got some other project ideas that I've been working on, and I need to dedicate my time to them right now. I will probably resume progress on this project in a month or two.

Also, does anybody else notice that the project banner on the OP is kinda messed up? It didn't look that way when I first posted it. What's wrong?
mekanchest

Post by mekanchest »

hi Seidolon one question, where i send you sprites for your project??
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

You can private message me them or post them here.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I recently started a new game of Heretic with this mod, as it's given me reason to play through it again. I have just a few questions:

* Is there a way to get the enemy lifebar feature to work with the alternate HUD? I prefer to use the alternate HUD because it displays all my weapons simultaneously, but the enemy lifebar only shows up with the default HUD. The same goes for the player's level.
* What are your plans for the RPG system? Years ago I played the Korax Mod with Hexen, and a few years back I was using Wrath of Cronos, which has a system based on Serpent Resurrection. Will it be similar to any of those?
* Are there plans to add secondary fire modes to the Heretic weapons? I know the Tome of Power already sort of does this, but I'm talking about a normal-powered secondary attack.

Also, I've become quite fond of the powered up ethereal crossbow. It took 5 seconds flat to kill the lich trio at the end of Episode 1.

ETA: I also started testing the Hexen fighter mod and ran into a problem. If you have the mouse inverted, the way I always do, then the cursor in the RPG menus also moves according to the inverted controls. It's annoying to have to constantly switch back every time I want to use the menus. Keyboard controls would be preferable.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Just gave the version 3 of the fighter a little playthrough great job so far although i rarely enjoy any sort of "brutal" mod i found this one quite enjoyable, also are you gonna add some other monsters to the hexen roster? and i'd love to see some different captured allies other than a captured corvus with that in mind i think you will find some of these monsters handy from madcat over at zandronum https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 100#p86656
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Well, crap. I was playing Brutal Hexen v3 with the fighter, and my game froze shortly upon entering the Darkmere map of the Shadow Wood hub. I broke through the trees, summoned my golem, and took out the ettins and flying pests. But the moment I tried to kill the stalkers, GZDoom locked up. I reloaded the game and tried again, and the same exact thing happened. I would say I suspect the glitch has something to do with the stalkers, but they never caused any problems on the Bright Crucible, or in the swampy area of the Shadow Wood right before the portal to Darkmere.

I started a new game, with a different primary weapon to see if that would make a difference. This time, it didn't freeze until I was approaching the bridge to the castle in Darkmere. Something is likely wrong with that particular map.

Update: I just finished a playthrough on max difficulty. I have some comments and suggestions.

Pros:
* The weapons and their new effects feel powerful and effective, befitting a Brutal mod.
* The HUD doesn't interfere with the ZDoom alternate HUD since it replaces the default, allowing me to switch between them with - and =.
* The red mana system is quite useful, and frequently helps balance out mana levels and health.
* The golem familiar is pretty strong and has gotten me out of tight spots more than once.
* The enemy lifebars are a nice feature, especially when taking on bosses.
* The boss fights feel a lot more balanced (some RPG mods have given them insane amounts of HP until it becomes a chore to fight them).
* Removing the infinitely respawning enemies from the Dungeons of the fourth hub was a good idea, to avoid exploitation.

Cons:
* The Mana Tome interface, like the weapon/familiar selection interface, is very clumsy and will have backwards mouse movements if you use the inverted mouse. A keyboard interface would be far preferable.
* The new critter enemies, like spiders and cave bats, are very hard to hit and can deplete over half your health before you land a single blow. The only ways I've been able to kill them are with a shield bash, a weapon 1 special attack, or to have my golem do it.
* Winding up an attack doesn't seem to do anything. I would have expected this to increase (charge up) the weapon's power, but this isn't the case, so I don't see the point.
* Shield bashing is a pain to pull off reliably and there's no reason to use it since it only affects ettins. I would prefer if this had its own key binding, and if it worked on more than just one type of enemy, like the kick in Brutal Doom.
* The familiar is kind of stupid, and has shot through me to hit enemies on multiple occasions. I'll try disabling friendly fire to see if that helps.
* When Korax is defeated, the ghosts do not erupt from his body like they're supposed to, therefore the portal does not open.

Suggestions:
* There needs to be documentation for this mod, like a .txt file included in the zip.
* Since this is an RPG mod, there should be a status screen, like in other Hexen RPG mods I've seen.
* Additional features for the Mana Tome I'd like to see are a spell that repairs your armor, an offensive buff spell, and a shield spell; and the option to hotkey each of these.
* There should be an option to unsummon your familiar if you don't want it to run off and get killed, so that you don't have to pay the 100 red mana cost all over again.
* The infinitely respawning enemies in Menelkir's Tomb (by intentionally pushing the wrong switches) should also be disabled to avoid exploitation.
Rolls

Post by Rolls »

Hello to everybody

I'm Rolls, and I'm a pixel artist and level designer.
First of all, say you congratulations, by the great mod that you are creating, for me the best that I saw for HeXen.

I noticed that you used some of my sprites, like the torch, I feel horoured that you use it in this mod, I really like it. I would like to be credited.

Also I would like to collaborate with you if you need it. I love HeXen, and I love what you did here.

I have some ideas that I would love to share with your team, and can be interesting. For example, I did one metal shield thinking in your mod, to have more variety of shields:
Spoiler:
I also invite you to visit the website I'm creating about HeXen, adding all my works to a repository, that you can use as you want for your great mod: http://www.hexendungeon.com/weapons

If you need some sprites or textures in particular, I can work on it :D
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Hi. Thanks for the reference link. Relly cool sprites btw. zrriontheinsect made a set of torch sprites that I'm going to replace the current ones with, so I'll have to credit him. Thanks for those sprites, they were nice to use. I'll have to think about sprites that I could ask you to make, so I'll post here once I've thought of some.
Rolls

Post by Rolls »

Hi Seidolon,

Cool, I´ll be waiting for. I´m also working in some that maybe you´ll like.
I´ll post more stuff when I get it done :)

Will be amazing to collaborate in this project!
the95mexican

Post by the95mexican »

hey hello! :D :D finally i finished the fatality of the minotaur :mrgreen: Let me know as to changes or modifications to this :!:
Attachments
sprite sheet fatality minotaur.png
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Looks freaking awesome... however, that Maulotaur's horns are way too wide for both of them to pierce through the fighter at the same time, let alone as close as you put them together. If anything, either have the Maulotaur impale the player with one of his horns, or have him just do a simple headbutt on the player and follow through with the rest of the fatality. All you need to do is either remove one or both of the puncture wounds from the animation.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Also, i'd like to see the warrior's body crushed like a patty when he got mauled. That's the point of being brutal, just so!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”