[1.5] WMD - Wad Manager for Doom

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Coffee Imp

[1.5] WMD - Wad Manager for Doom

Post by Coffee Imp »

WMD is a mod manager for zDoom-like sourceports. The main feature is the ability to create a wadpack, each wadpack has it's own config file and save folder. You can have your keybinding, saves, graphical settings, separated for each wadpack.

Get the latest release on github

You will probably need the dotnet framework 4.5 (if you are on Windows 10 you should already have it) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30653

The main features:
  • easy to use
  • no installation, everything is done in the starting folder (by default where the .exe is)
  • saves data in easily readable XML (I don't recommend manually editing it, unless you know what you're doing)
  • Drag and drop wad, pk3, pk7...
  • Work with any zDoom-like sourceport
  • leverage as much as possible sourceport features
  • > if no config files are detected, starts the game at the monitor width and height
  • > encourages users to create a DOOMWADDIR env variable through a UI
  • > allows custom launch parameters on top of the ones generated by the app
  • Creation of packs of wads with:
  • > Sort order management
  • > Separate Save folders
  • > Separate Config files
  • > > Separate Key mapping
  • > > Separrate Settings
  • > source port association
  • > can be prepared in a zip file and shared (see the "How to cook a pack" section on Github)
[v1.4]
  • When you create a wadpack, the app automatically copy the default config file from the sourceport folder. To create that default ini file, launch the sourceport without any mod and set your settings.
[v.1.3]
  • Added the possibility to choose your mod folder. Right click anywhere on the app to select the directory.
More info on github...
Release history
Report bugs on Github (or here in the thread)

I intend to keep the app as simple as possible, but I'm open to suggestion (doesn't mean I'll do it).

Glorious battleship grey
Last edited by Coffee Imp on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: WMD - A Small Wad/mod manager for Windows

Post by Cardboard Marty »

This looks super neat! I'm gonna give it a try for a bit, great work!
Coffee Imp

Post by Coffee Imp »

Thanks, I love your mod.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Excellent! I've missed having a wad manager ever since ZDL gave up the ghost on me! I'll definitely give this one a try.
TheDoomctator

Post by TheDoomctator »

Great one mate it's good to get something different from Rocket Launcher (that is indeed a wad launcher like this one)
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

One idea I'd add is the ability to select your "wad directory" and have launcher autodetect any wads/pk3s there (including in subdirectories).
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

One of these days I might use something like this. Still using BAT files right now.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

Oh hey neat. I've been using ZDoom Launcher and the only thing I want from it is a way to save wad packs. It seams yours does that :D
Coffee Imp

Post by Coffee Imp »

darkhog wrote:One idea I'd add is the ability to select your "wad directory" and have launcher autodetect any wads/pk3s there (including in subdirectories).
Not a bad idea, thanks. I might implement that soon.

Thanks everyone for your interest. :D
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

This is really nice. Saves me the hassle of constantly modifying a BAT file for testing and playing.

IMO, I was thinking of perhaps making the WAD directory list separate from the active/selected wads and have a small window for the load order where you could drag and drop.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Hey after i try it and i drag and drop my files, i realize that it create another folder (WMD) with all my files there, so this is intended? because it just duplicate the files instead of using my default folder as base
Coffee Imp

Post by Coffee Imp »

Mav3rick wrote:Hey after i try it and i drag and drop my files, i realize that it create another folder (WMD) with all my files there, so this is intended? because it just duplicate the files instead of using my default folder as base
Yeah, it's the idea, but if you prefere using your old folder, now you can!

With the version 1.3 of the app, you can select a custom mod directory by right-clicking anywhere on the app. The app handle folder structure gracefully.

https://github.com/EricReichenbach/WMD/releases/latest

faslrn wrote:This is really nice. Saves me the hassle of constantly modifying a BAT file for testing and playing.

IMO, I was thinking of perhaps making the WAD directory list separate from the active/selected wads and have a small window for the load order where you could drag and drop.
The window can become very busy if you have a ton of mods. I might change stuff around in the future.
Silentdarkness12

Re: [1.3] WMD - A Small Wad/mod manager for Windows

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

OH MAN.

You know what the BEST part of WMD is?

Seperate save and configs for each wadpack.

This cuts down on the total chore for me of having to sift through all the invalid saves : D

This program is BEAST.

WMD-Weapons of Mass DOOM

: D
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Coffee Imp wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:Hey after i try it and i drag and drop my files, i realize that it create another folder (WMD) with all my files there, so this is intended? because it just duplicate the files instead of using my default folder as base
Yeah, it's the idea, but if you prefere using your old folder, now you can!

With the version 1.3 of the app, you can select a custom mod directory by right-clicking anywhere on the app. The app handle folder structure gracefully.

faslrn wrote:This is really nice. Saves me the hassle of constantly modifying a BAT file for testing and playing.

The window can become very busy if you have a ton of mods. I might change stuff around in the future.
Would love to see how this evolves as time goes on. Keep it up!
Coffee Imp

Re: [1.3] WMD - A Small Wad/mod manager for Windows

Post by Coffee Imp »

Thanks, faslrn, I love your work.
Silentdarkness12 wrote:: D
Great, I'm glad you like it.

I just released a new version with some bugfixes (some stuff with the custom mod directory feature and the Wadpack export thingy).

Return to “Launchers”