DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [map + weapons released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
EksFaktr

Re: DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [Community Pack Recruitment]

Post by EksFaktr »

Since I was super bored today, I also took the liberty of putting together a list of all the members that have signed up so far. If anybody didn't specify what they were going to do, I put them down for a map. If this is useful, feel free to edit it into the OP.
Spoiler:
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Henix_Aurorus wrote:A DM-focused DUMP has been proposed before (don't know if/when that's happening), but this isn't it, unfortunately.
I mean, it's not like 32in24 doesn't accept newbie mappers into their folds. They accepted my maps, after all. Hell, they keep accepting nub_hat's maps for whatever reason.

Granted, those are Boom-format maps, not ZDoom 2.7.1, but even still...
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I just want to ask if this mod allows usage of jumping and crouching?
simpletonnn

Post by simpletonnn »

4thcharacter wrote:I just want to ask if this mod allows usage of jumping and crouching?
yes, it is actually encouraged heavily
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

4thcharacter wrote:I just want to ask if this mod allows usage of jumping and crouching?
Yes, it does.

[edit]Too slow!

Content for marginally less useless post: HELL YEAH DUmP (THE M IS A SIDEWAYS 3)
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Cool, because on mine there'll be small nukage canals nearby sidewalks that you'll have to jump away from in order to get out. They'll be almost everywhere but it shouldn't annoy anyone.
Gyro

Post by Gyro »

With regards to the whole "previous project" thing, I just started a map last night, and found out this morning that there's a new DUMP going on. I don't think that'll be enough of a headstart to be a problem.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Sign me up. I'm making an "ocean base" theme map and i hope that i can finish it in time.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Two questions:
  1. Are there palette restrictions on weapons (ie Doom palette only)?
  2. Can we team up with another member or individual? My SO has expressed interest in helping me with a weapon's graphics, and I'm curious if this is verboten.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

My internet was dead and I missed this, count me in!
CJacobsSA

Post by CJacobsSA »

Hi, I probably will be making a map for this! I'm not great at working on deadlines but this one is fairly generous so we'll see how I do.

My only question is, I'm still extremely new to the mapping scene so I don't really understand what this means:
- PLEASE DO NOT USE THE TEXTURES LUMP
- If you REALLY do have to use the TEXTURES lump, please create an empty resource in Zdoom format, rather than importing from another source/iwad. Seriously, last DUMP almost everyone had a Textures set where all of the Doom 2 textures were included as well and it made things an unbelievable PITA to sort through.
Would someone mind explaining what this means to a huge newbie like me?
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I want to say Term meant "don't use TEXTURE1/PNAMES", since that format requires you to define every texture the WAD is going to use, meaning there'll be a lot of cruft from the doom2.wad TEXTURE1 lump present, and isn't cumulative, meaning your TEXTURE1 lump will have definitions for your textures at the exclusion of everyone else's.

...but he did explicitly say "TEXTURES", so, heck, I dunno.

I will say that between the two, you want to use TEXTURES over TEXTURE1, since TEXTURES is cumulative (it'll allow everyone else to define textures without going "nuh-uh these are all the textures you're allowed to use, go home and be a family man"), and it lets you only define the new textures you're making (although I suppose somebody could naively convert a TEXTURE1 lump to TEXTURES, since SLADE lets you do that, and thus supply a TEXTURES lump with all of doom2.wad's textures as well).

Though really, an even better option is to just composite the patches into a texture externally (say, in Photoshop or something), save it and put it between TX_START and TX_END marker lumps (or, in a PK3, into the "textures" folder). The other two are only really good if you already have the patches from another resource WAD, and just wanna composite them together into a new texture without wasting bytes by supplying the composited image in addition to the patches that make it up. Still, given the disclaimer, try to opt for the TX_START/_END method if you can.
Henix_Aurorus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

Snarboo wrote:Two questions:
  2. Can we team up with another member or individual? My SO has expressed interest in helping me with a weapon's graphics, and I'm curious if this is verboten.
Don't know about the latter, but the former I can confirm for a fact- truecolor is allowed. Any HUD sprites can be truecolor in software mode, as at least in the Windows ports, the HUD is done via DirectX.

This of course does mean Linux or Mac builds don't support truecolor HUDs in software, but the number of people who play on those OSes is small enough it probably won't be an issue.

As for the subject of TEXTURES, merging TEXTURES lumps proper tends to be a huge pain in the ass because they tend to include the ENTIRE Doom textureset for some reason. Hence, if practical, put your single-image textures between TX_START and TX_END, or, if you're using a PK3 (which you should be), put your textures in /textures.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Snarboo wrote:Two questions:
  1. nope
  2. yup
CJacobsSA wrote:My only question is, I'm still extremely new to the mapping scene so I don't really understand what this means:
Honestly, if you don't understand what it means, that's probably a good thing.

But Shadow_Hog and Henix has it. Basically when compiling textures, a lot of people/packs include the entirety of Doom 2 textures as well, which makes hunting for new textures kind of a pain in the ass.
So if you compile new textures, make sure you don't include the default Doom 2 textures. Look in the textures file and look for a couple Doom 2 textures you already know of, and if you don't see it, it's good to go.
CJacobsSA

Post by CJacobsSA »

Makes sense, I think! So I'm assuming, then, that if I'm not including custom textures then I don't even need to worry about it?

Return to “Levels”