Killing Time Assets Complete

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
ect0s

Killing Time Assets Complete

Post by ect0s »

I finally finished extracting and converting everything useful from killing time.

Edit: Found I missed the animated textures, as well as added 1px borders to some with a rotate.. I'm working on a new dump.

Now with all animated textures and no ugly borders. Also fixed a white pixel issue. Fixed Rotation, added a final missing texture.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x3r9i ... -Final.zip

Misc Gallery Added
https://imgur.com/a/cZBfy

The above link contains:

-All Sprites: Items, Enemies, Decorations

-All Hud Elements

-All Sounds (Not labeled)

-All Textures.

There are a number of other files from the game archive I'm not uploading because they would not be useful (Map Data etc).
Last edited by ect0s on Sun May 22, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dynamo

Re: Killing Time Assets Complete

Post by Dynamo »

great stuff :) thanks very much for this, it was about time for sure
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

Thank you very much for these!
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

HMNuke93 wrote:Thank you very much for these!
Dynamo wrote:great stuff :) thanks very much for this,
No Problem.
Dynamo wrote:it was about time for sure
Only 20 years after the release of the game.. Still took me ~6months on and off in my spare time.

The hard parts were figuring out how to decompress the lumps of data from the .rez file after extracting them, then how to take the raw images in their own format and convert them into something usable.
Yagotzirck

Post by Yagotzirck »

A few wav files are corrupt(from what I've seen it looks like you've put the ChunkSize field twice rather than once), also the images in \MenusAndHud don't have transparent background(but that can be fixed from slade quite easily, so no big deal I guess)
Aside from that, good job :)
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

A few wav files are corrupt(from what I've seen it looks like you've put the ChunkSize field twice rather than once)
Doh..

Yeah I see it. Looks like it happened only to the sound which initially were uncompressed in the killingtime.rez.

Should be easy enough to fix, its probably a flag problem.
MenusAndHud don't have transparent background
Those were fullsize raw bitmaps, no padding to unpack etc.

I suppose I could go through and find which color is alpha in the menus, however there are 8 different pallets. I hope its always the first entry.

Edit: For the sounds, I wrote a quick script to fix them. Thats done. I'm looking into the menus

Edit 2: Updated Download in original Post
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

Just a final comment

A new upload is in the first post, it fixes some issues and contains a few missing items
Nash

Post by Nash »

Screenshot or some preview tiles perhaps?
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

Added a gallery of some images.

I did not turn any of the files into sprite sheets etc, its just a raw dump/convert to .png for each.

Also, while the download link is the same, I corrected a pixel error (white pixel in each sprite) and reuploaded as of today. You can see the pixel error in the gallery (its should be fixed in the download).
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

Now are you going to work on the 3DO version?
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

Already started work.

Its going to be an intensive project.

So far, with a preliminary tool I wrote, I found 1212 3DO CEL images but haven't extracted them. These are sprite 'equivalents' but the 3DO cell format is a complex thing, and some are part of 'animation' groups (ie Enemy states).

There are some tools for working with CELs , but I'm going to put the time into coding a custom tool. I'm aware of some of the existing tools might make this process easier, but I'm more trusting of my own code (even with its bugs), because I'm able to make any modifications necessary. A preliminary look shows that some tools made by russians (likely for the PAL version) do not handle the NTSC version properly, this comes down to hardware differences that may effect the final assets on disk (I haven't yet made it far enough into the documentation). Basically, PAL has a different resolution compared to NTSC, and this likely effects the CEL files.

Textures are another format, and in the 3DO documentation they are likely to be 16 bit.

http://hackipedia.org/Platform/3D0/html ... #XREF28150

Above is the specification for the .cel header, I have to write an interpreter for that and some other things. CEL's have an internal pallet that maps to an internal hardware pallet within the 3DO consoles, but this stuff is documented within 3DO emulators. So I have to pull up that to convert what I assume will be greyscale images to color.

Point being, I have started, but the 3DO is a whole different beast.
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

I understand. Also, the already existing tools for working with CEL files are a bit buggy, so coding a custom tool is a good idea.

Edit: I noticed there's a small error in your rip, all the sprites and some of the textures are now rotated to the right.
ect0s

Post by ect0s »

HMNuke93 wrote:Edit: I noticed there's a small error in your rip, all the sprites and some of the textures are now rotated to the right.
Not much I can do about it.

I had coded in a rotation with PIL, but it was adding nasty 1px borders when the files were an odd numbered width or height. I disabled it, then did a manual rotation. I must have missed some files.

I'm not going to re-upload just because of a rotation issue - though I will look into it. For the sprites folder, rotate them all counter clockwise.

For the textures, theres a few that had to be extracted by hand, those are the ones rotated incorrectly.. Should be ~20 files or something, not a huge deal.

Reuploading again. OP updated. Noticed a missing texture, rotations should be fixed.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Some very nice stuff in there; thanks for doing this!
John101

Post by John101 »

ect0s wrote:I finally finished extracting and converting everything useful from killing time.

Edit: Found I missed the animated textures, as well as added 1px borders to some with a rotate.. I'm working on a new dump.

Now with all animated textures and no ugly borders. Also fixed a white pixel issue. Fixed Rotation, added a final missing texture.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x3r9i ... -Final.zip

Misc Gallery Added
https://imgur.com/a/cZBfy

The above link contains:

-All Sprites: Items, Enemies, Decorations

-All Hud Elements

-All Sounds (Not labeled)

-All Textures.

There are a number of other files from the game archive I'm not uploading because they would not be useful (Map Data etc).
I NEED ALL THE DATA FROM THAT REZ FILE RIP...... SUPPLY LINK PLEASE ALL THE DATA INCLUDING THE MAP DATA ECT... THANKS

Hey, what tool did you use to unpack the "Rez file" from killing time PC fps 90's shooter. Can you give me the name of the tool or can someone here tell me where to find it or post a link thank you.

There, is other files I need from that rip instead of the sprites and textures and menu or hud.
Last edited by John101 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Resources”