EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: 3DGE 2.0.4 Final Released! (4.26.2016)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Coraline wrote:EDIT: Holy shite I missed this entire page O_o
I don't think you missed much. :)

I'm curious: How much updating is needed for old EDGE mods to work in this? I'd like to try out ICD and a few others sometime.
Extropist

Post by Extropist »

Trusty McLegit wrote:People do know how to mod for 3DGE, it's just that brutal doom is written for zdoom, so if someone wanted to port it to 3dge then they would have to learn how both zdoom and 3dge work, and then port it over
So there is no parser that would convert zdoom code to 3dge one? Seems one of the engines lacks many abilities since it was not yet done.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Well neither engine is "done", they are continually evolving, but that has nothing to do with the capabilities of one verses the other. Code is not a literal language. You can't just put C++ into google translate and get the exact same thing in python. They are inherently different, so you would have to rework it from the ground up. Brutal doom could probably be ported to 3DGE, but no one really wants to.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Extropist wrote:So there is no parser that would convert zdoom code to 3dge one? Seems one of the engines lacks many abilities since it was not yet done.

No, there is no such thing. No, there never will be such a thing. Both engines are conceptually so different that it never would work. That not only goes for the scripting languages but for the underlying base as well.
Extropist

Post by Extropist »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Extropist wrote:So there is no parser that would convert zdoom code to 3dge one? Seems one of the engines lacks many abilities since it was not yet done.

No, there is no such thing. No, there never will be such a thing. Both engines are conceptually so different that it never would work. That not only goes for the scripting languages but for the underlying base as well.
I think. Some basic stuff could be ported. tho yes it would need some effort and hard work. Don't underestimate people, people can make miracles happen with big ammount of determination.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Extropist wrote:I think. Some basic stuff could be ported. tho yes it would need some effort and hard work. Don't underestimate people, people can make miracles happen with big ammount of determination.
Well, considering you're the one that seems to want it the most, let's see your determination.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Extropist wrote: I think. Some basic stuff could be ported. tho yes it would need some effort and hard work. Don't underestimate people, people can make miracles happen with big ammount of determination.
The world works in mysterious ways. Maybe you're the chosen one who's destined to do the porting and make Brutal Doom finally playable on 3DGE!!
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

NeuralStunner wrote:
Coraline wrote:EDIT: Holy shite I missed this entire page O_o
I don't think you missed much. :)

I'm curious: How much updating is needed for old EDGE mods to work in this? I'd like to try out ICD and a few others sometime.
I dont think much. Starting 3DGE with the -lax parameter for DDF might get it loaded, but there is no telling if features broke or not.

Probably, changing the version in each DDF header to at least #VERSION 1.36 and starting with -strict for DDF will get some good results. Actually, i can try running ICD tonight on the test build and see what kind of results I get!
Extropist

Post by Extropist »

Yeah I might make it. I might do it. Brutal 3dge.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Okay, I am planning on releasing a test version of the SDL2 port of 3DGE (2.1.0 Test1). It runs much smoother, and control bindings have been fixed, among other stuff. However, it will only be a test version and should not be used for normal gameplay.

For anyone still suffering video issues with 2.0.4:

Pull down the console and type:
R_vsync 0
R_maxfps 0
R_lerp 1

Basically, it disables framelimits alltogether - it will throw up as many frames as possible with almost zero slowdown or stuttering. Be aware that the game world will render quick, and motion sickness might rear its head (you will see it if you pay attention).
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Graf Zahl wrote:

I want to re-iterate this - porting from one to another can only be achieved if you write and reference from scratch. There is no way one can support the other - they really are two completely different engines.
Extropist

Post by Extropist »

Coraline wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:

I want to re-iterate this - porting from one to another can only be achieved if you write and reference from scratch. There is no way one can support the other - they really are two completely different engines.
Wrong, pretty sure this is possible. There is just lack of imagination here. And urge to block others from making the big step.

(User has obviously not been paying attention and is probably only here to trollbait people. Therefore, warn is issued. Please stop derailing threads. -ww)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Randi needs to make this guy a dev. Pretty sure his ability to disapprove of the impossibilities will make many things possible.

Edit: Roger Wilco, ww.
Last edited by Accensus on Mon May 23, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Coraline wrote:I dont think much. Starting 3DGE with the -lax parameter for DDF might get it loaded, but there is no telling if features broke or not.

Probably, changing the version in each DDF header to at least #VERSION 1.36 and starting with -strict for DDF will get some good results. Actually, i can try running ICD tonight on the test build and see what kind of results I get!
Sounds good. I know backward compatibility is a pain in the rear, so anything you can get working is pretty great. :)
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Its just getting harder the more we push forward, since thete is just too many possibilities of moving the port into more feature-rich territory, fixing bugs, etc. A lot of what is holding many things back is having EDGE compatible with older mods. The second I start removing hacks and stuff is when older stuff will break :-(

Not to mention COAL, our Quake-C derived HUD code, since that did not exist until much later in EDGE's lifespan, as long as it did not use LUA huds (when we had LUA support) it should mostly work...

Return to “Game Engines”