SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.12 (26/May/2020)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest release: v3.1.1.1

Postby Gez » Thu May 19, 2016 3:35 am

SLADE_MAFL is the Main Application File Listener, that is to say, the thing which is used to make running in single instance possible.

I'll once again suggest making single instance mode optional.
Gez

Postby darkhog » Thu May 19, 2016 11:44 am

Neccronixis wrote:The latest version of SLADE is not working properly for me on Windows 10. It crashes consistently several seconds after I load a file:

Slade error.png

Can you upload file that does that somewhere? It may not Win10 issue, but SLADE issue in general. Also having some file that triggers the issue consistently would help debug the thing, even if it's Win10 issue only.
darkhog

Postby sirjuddington » Thu May 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Do you have multiple versions of SLADE installed? I got this error once when I had a pre-3.1.1 version of SLADE running and tried to open a wad via file association with SLADE 3.1.1.
sirjuddington

Discord: sirjuddington#7496
Github ID: sirjuddington

Postby Neccronixis » Thu May 19, 2016 7:40 pm

darkhog wrote: Can you upload file that does that somewhere? It may not Win10 issue, but SLADE issue in general. Also having some file that triggers the issue consistently would help debug the thing, even if it's Win10 issue only.

It happens with any wad file that I attempt to open. SLADE stops working several seconds after opening one.

sirjuddington wrote:Do you have multiple versions of SLADE installed? I got this error once when I had a pre-3.1.1 version of SLADE running and tried to open a wad via file association with SLADE 3.1.1.

I will check and see if I do; this most likely may be the culprit.

EDIT: I do not have any other versions of SLADE installed. Basically I encountered this problem when my computer self-updated to windows 10. SlADE was working perfectly fine before that on windows 7. Also, I can open SLADE and create my own wad archive, but when I start adding files to it like sprites and text, it stops working moments later.
Neccronixis

Postby Kinsie » Fri May 20, 2016 2:49 am

Is there a way to remove the base resource's TEXTURE1 definitions from a custom TEXTURE1? I have several texture packs I'd like to use on a project, and since it'd probably be best practice to TEXTURES-ify them to avoid conflicts, I'd like to avoid duplicate entries.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby RSSwizard » Fri May 20, 2016 1:33 pm

Went to install the newest version, setup says visual C++ download is an Install dependency.

Let it try to download it and it said that it couldnt get the visual C++ due to a 404 error contacting the server.

So it cant be installed.
RSSwizard

Postby Neccronixis » Sat May 21, 2016 7:35 pm

SLADE is still not working for me; the program opens fine but as soon as I try to edit a file or import something it stops working. Is it even compatible with windows 10?
Neccronixis

Postby sirjuddington » Sun May 22, 2016 9:34 pm

RSSwizard wrote:Went to install the newest version, setup says visual C++ download is an Install dependency.

Let it try to download it and it said that it couldnt get the visual C++ due to a 404 error contacting the server.

So it cant be installed.

Hmm, they must have moved the installer download. I think from the next version I'll just upload them to the SLADE website. Anyway, install them from here (select x86 not x64), and the installer shouldn't try to download them again.

Neccronixis wrote:SLADE is still not working for me; the program opens fine but as soon as I try to edit a file or import something it stops working. Is it even compatible with windows 10?

Of course it supports Windows 10, I've been using it without issue since it was out. It may be that something didn't work properly during the upgrade, is it that error message you posted initially that comes up every time? If so that's really weird, as it should only be checking that stuff on startup.
sirjuddington

Postby darkhog » Mon May 23, 2016 3:15 am

I have a suggestion/feature request.

Things Brush.

The name says it all. In Things mode, after pressing B or something, the window where you select things would popup, then after selecting it, you could keep on clicking to place them or drag to place things along the grid vertices. Like a brush in a drawing program. ESC to exit.

IMO this would make placing large amounts of items such as health, ammo, etc. both more efficient (as you don't have to copy-paste them) and fun.
darkhog

Postby RSSwizard » Mon May 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Been getting alot of crashes on Slade 3.1.1.1. Though I think I was getting crashes like these on the 3.1.1.1 beta too.

It happened when I was changing the preferences. Specifically font/colors for the text editor. And also for clicking on providing extra conversion options.

I also noticed it takes a rather inordinate amount of time to... close a wad... open a wad... switch back to "main page"... or pop open the preferences menus. It takes like 3-4 seconds to do this (before you ask about computer speed, microsoft office doesnt take as long).

But its also crashing when I Close large Iwads such as doom2.wad. This is the last portion of the error report, which happened after closing doom2.wad (no changes were being made, I was only ripping sprites):

Code: Select allExpand view
Last Log Messages:
12:50:30: Initialising OpenGL...
12:50:30: OpenGL Version: 1.4
12:50:30: Max Texture Size: 2048x2048
12:50:30: Checking extensions...
12:50:30: Vertex Buffer Objects supported
12:50:30: Point Sprites not supported
12:50:30: Framebuffer Objects not supported
12:56:20: Opening archive C:/Heretic/DOOM2.WAD
12:56:27: Opening took 7096 ms
12:56:57: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\SGW\AppData\Roaming\SLADE3\mapwindow.layout' (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
12:56:57: Tokenizer::openFile: Unable to open file C:\Users\SGW\AppData\Roaming\SLADE3\mapwindow.layout
RSSwizard

Postby Neccronixis » Mon May 23, 2016 8:12 pm

RSSwizard wrote:Of course it supports Windows 10, I've been using it without issue since it was out. It may be that something didn't work properly during the upgrade, is it that error message you posted initially that comes up every time? If so that's really weird, as it should only be checking that stuff on startup.

There are no errors that come up at all. I got that error when I was troubleshooting the program with windows trouble shooter. the program opens fine, but opening/ importing files makes it stop working.
Neccronixis

Postby Neccronixis » Mon May 23, 2016 9:00 pm

OK this was really weird. SLADE is now working for me :) and I believe it had something to do with custom fonts not being installed. I have a font manager and I re-allocated my custom font folder because I upgraded to a new OS and now, for some reason SLADE seems to be working fine. So it seems that the problem had something to do with fonts installed/not installed on my system as of yet.
Neccronixis

Postby sirjuddington » Mon May 23, 2016 9:07 pm

RSSwizard wrote:Been getting alot of crashes on Slade 3.1.1.1. Though I think I was getting crashes like these on the 3.1.1.1 beta too.

It happened when I was changing the preferences. Specifically font/colors for the text editor. And also for clicking on providing extra conversion options.

I also noticed it takes a rather inordinate amount of time to... close a wad... open a wad... switch back to "main page"... or pop open the preferences menus. It takes like 3-4 seconds to do this (before you ask about computer speed, microsoft office doesnt take as long).

But its also crashing when I Close large Iwads such as doom2.wad. This is the last portion of the error report, which happened after closing doom2.wad (no changes were being made, I was only ripping sprites):

Last Log Messages:
12:50:30: Initialising OpenGL...
12:50:30: OpenGL Version: 1.4
12:50:30: Max Texture Size: 2048x2048
12:50:30: Checking extensions...
12:50:30: Vertex Buffer Objects supported
12:50:30: Point Sprites not supported
12:50:30: Framebuffer Objects not supported
12:56:20: Opening archive C:/Heretic/DOOM2.WAD
12:56:27: Opening took 7096 ms
12:56:57: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\SGW\AppData\Roaming\SLADE3\mapwindow.layout' (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
12:56:57: Tokenizer::openFile: Unable to open file C:\Users\SGW\AppData\Roaming\SLADE3\mapwindow.layout

What is the whole error report? Just the end part on its own isn't particularly helpful, although I'm not sure why it can't open a file in your user folder. Is that file there at all (or is the folder even there?)
sirjuddington

Postby RSSwizard » Tue May 24, 2016 11:34 am

sirjuddington wrote:
RSSwizard wrote:What is the whole error report? Just the end part on its own isn't particularly helpful, although I'm not sure why it can't open a file in your user folder. Is that file there at all (or is the folder even there?)

Okay noticed 2 more peculiarities. When I tried to reproduce the error for the stack report, I managed to close the iwad without it crashing, but I didnt look at any entries, so that might be a clue. When I looked at entries, then closed the iwad, it crashed.

The other peculiarity - tried ripping sprites from heretic. Even though I had Heretic set as the base resource, it was still displaying all of the sprites in the Doom palette, making that process (or even getting an image with the heretic palette to use for photoshop) tiresome.

Though I managed to rip sprites from other iwads with the Beta 3.1.1.1 without a problem before, since I used some in a little wad ive made. So this is a new thing it seems.

Here is the full stack report
Version: 3.1.1.1
No current action

Operating System: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1)
Graphics Vendor: Intel
Graphics Hardware: Intel Pineview Platform
OpenGL Version: 1.4.0 - Build 8.14.10.2117

Stack Trace:
0: [unknown location] [unknown:0]
1: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mapeditor\renderer\maprenderer2d.cpp:2749) MapRenderer2D::updateVerticesVBO
2: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mapeditor\renderer\maprenderer2d.cpp:2953) MapRenderer2D::forceUpdate
3: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mapeditor\ui\mapcanvas.cpp:2333) MapCanvas::forceRefreshRenderer
4: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mapeditor\mapeditorwindow.cpp:942) MapEditorWindow::forceRefresh
5: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mapeditor\maptexturemanager.cpp:497) MapTextureManager::refreshResources
6: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mapeditor\maptexturemanager.cpp:616) MapTextureManager::onAnnouncement
7: (c:\dev\slade3\src\general\listenerannouncer.cpp:148) Announcer::announce
8: (c:\dev\slade3\src\general\listenerannouncer.cpp:161) Announcer::announce
9: (c:\dev\slade3\src\general\resourcemanager.cpp:220) ResourceManager::removeArchive
10: (c:\dev\slade3\src\archive\archivemanager.cpp:610) ArchiveManager::closeArchive
11: (c:\dev\slade3\src\archive\archivemanager.cpp:689) ArchiveManager::closeArchive
12: (c:\dev\slade3\src\maineditor\ui\archivemanagerpanel.cpp:2114) ArchiveManagerPanel::onArchiveTabClosed
13: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\appbase.cpp:612) wxAppConsoleBase::HandleEvent
14: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\appbase.cpp:623) wxAppConsoleBase::CallEventHandler
15: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1751) wxEvtHandler::SearchDynamicEventTable
16: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1585) wxEvtHandler::TryHereOnly
17: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1491) wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent
18: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1554) wxEvtHandler::DoTryChain
19: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1495) wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent
20: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\aui\auibook.cpp:3153) wxAuiNotebook::OnTabButton
21: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\appbase.cpp:612) wxAppConsoleBase::HandleEvent
22: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\appbase.cpp:623) wxAppConsoleBase::CallEventHandler
23: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1394) wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatchesId
24: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:998) wxEventHashTable::HandleEvent
25: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1589) wxEvtHandler::TryHereOnly
26: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1491) wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent
27: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1554) wxEvtHandler::DoTryChain
28: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1495) wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent
29: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\wincmn.cpp:3427) wxWindowBase::TryAfter
30: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1508) wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent
31: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\aui\auibook.cpp:1128) wxAuiTabCtrl::OnLeftUp
32: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\appbase.cpp:612) wxAppConsoleBase::HandleEvent
33: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\appbase.cpp:623) wxAppConsoleBase::CallEventHandler
34: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1394) wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatchesId
35: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:998) wxEventHashTable::HandleEvent
36: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1589) wxEvtHandler::TryHereOnly
37: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1495) wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent
38: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\event.cpp:1647) wxEvtHandler::SafelyProcessEvent
39: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\window.cpp:5538) wxWindow::HandleMouseEvent
40: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\window.cpp:3006) wxWindow::MSWHandleMessage
41: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\window.cpp:3645) wxWindow::MSWWindowProc
42: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\window.cpp:2711) wxWndProc
43: [unknown location] gapfnScSendMessage
44: [unknown location] gapfnScSendMessage
45: [unknown location] gapfnScSendMessage
46: [unknown location] DispatchMessageW
47: [unknown location] IsDialogMessageW
48: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\window.cpp:2612) wxWindow::MSWSafeIsDialogMessage
49: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\window.cpp:2494) wxWindow::MSWProcessMessage
50: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\evtloop.cpp:148) wxGUIEventLoop::PreProcessMessage
51: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\evtloop.cpp:166) wxGUIEventLoop::ProcessMessage
52: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\evtloop.cpp:232) wxGUIEventLoop::Dispatch
53: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\evtloopcmn.cpp:206) wxEventLoopManual::DoRun
54: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\evtloopcmn.cpp:78) wxEventLoopBase::Run
55: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\appbase.cpp:334) wxAppConsoleBase::MainLoop
56: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\common\init.cpp:495) wxEntryReal
57: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\main.cpp:188) wxEntry
58: (f:\programming\libs\wxwidgets\src\msw\main.cpp:415) wxEntry
59: (c:\dev\slade3\src\application\mainapp.cpp:421) WinMain
60: (f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:255) __scrt_common_main_seh
61: [unknown location] BaseThreadInitThunk
62: [unknown location] RtlInitializeExceptionChain
63: [unknown location] RtlInitializeExceptionChain

Last Log Messages:
12:29:39: Warning: No fluidsynth soundfont set, MIDI playback will not work
12:29:40: Opening took 3717 ms
12:29:47: Opening archive C:/Heretic/HERETIC.WAD
12:29:51: Opening took 3690 ms
12:29:52: Initialising OpenGL...
12:29:52: OpenGL Version: 1.4
12:29:52: Max Texture Size: 2048x2048
12:29:52: Checking extensions...
12:29:52: Vertex Buffer Objects supported
12:29:52: Point Sprites not supported
12:29:52: Framebuffer Objects not supported
RSSwizard

Postby RSSwizard » Tue May 24, 2016 2:13 pm

I have a 1024x600 screen on my laptop (its the only computer ive got).
Ive tried to go in video settings to change the resolution to x768 to get screen-scroll, but it wont even let me do that (wont list any other higher resolutions, only lower ones). So thats just the way that is.

When I go to use the color remapping tool, the child window is so big it stretches off the screen and I cant grab the bar to move it around at all. Ive used it successfully a number of times, but I cant access any colors near the beginning of the palette because they're off the screen.

Screenshot attached.

screen0524.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RSSwizard

PreviousNext

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation