[REL] Bratwurst RECOOKED - mod revival!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

[REL] Bratwurst RECOOKED - mod revival!

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Customizable nazis for Doom

That's right, GZDoom's most flexible nazi-killing gameplay mod is making a comeback! Now with code that is more optimized, and in general just more organized under the hood!

-=I'm new to this mod, what's the schtick here?=-
This is a mod that adds the nazi enemies from Wolfenstein 3D in Doom. Because balancing all those hitscanning bastards to work with Doom maps would be a nightmare, I let you balance the mod yourself! You can go into the options and tinker with various enemy attack and behavior options, from choosing whether they shoot hitscan, tracers, or various projectiles; what they drop upon death, how they look, and many other features that are sure to accommodate whatever map, or weapons mod you choose to play this with!

-=What's new?=-
With the optimized code, the mod should run much smoother than before! I know I seen a couple of you complain about that, but fixing that problem was probably beyond my scope of competence back then :oops: . Other than that I've also added the High Definition sprites made by the community (the ones based on the MACwolf sprites) as selectable skins! On new features, you can now also customize how the projectiles look, so you don't have to content with Wolfenstein's puny looking rockets anymore for example. The gore has also been improved, and made much more satisfying! Nazis will now explode into actual Rise of the Triad-styled viscera instead of those weird blood strings from before.

-=What are some planned features?=-
I intend on adding the censored SNES skins for shits and giggles, and I will also be making a patch that adds the missing rotations the community has made. I will be releasing that as a patch instead of having it built into the mod due to technical reasons of not wanting to bloat the mod with repeated sprites.

-=Will you be adding any other new skins beyond those?=-
Once I add the SNES skins and finish the rotations patch, the mod will be completed. I have no intention of adding any other skins beyond these ones from the official Wolfenstein engine releases. The halloween skins was a one time thing because I really love halloween and skeletons. Though I did once have an idea of making Stalinists as possible "christmas skins", and the joke would be that they hate christmas because it is an overly capitalist holy day. But that would require too much effort of me to commit to such a silly joke so, eh

Download link:
>>DOWNLOAD MOD<<
>>DOWNLOAD ROTATIONS PATCH<<

CHANGELOG:

Code: Select all

-High Def (MAC wolf) skins added;
-New CVARs for customizing projectile skins;
-New CVAR that enables a Wolfenstein Jukebox (random Wolf3D midis)
-Added the option to enable dodge roll for Officers, in the style of ROTT;
-Hitscan related options are now streamlined to be divided by enemy class rather than by character;
-Improved gore particles from gibbing;
-Added a CVAR for customizing the blood splurts from attacks;
-Code has been duly optimized and the mod should run much better than before;
-Enemy drop options have been overhauled. The option for dropping guns and then only ammo subsequently should be compatible with mods now, though that only works after grabbing a weapon dropped by an enemy, and not with weapons placed on the map.

V9.3

-FIXED SS soldiers from the secret enemy slot not dropping the correct items;
-FIXED enemies not dropping items when frozen with ice attacks;
-FIXED many problems with Hitler's coding, including but not limited to his armor vanishing instantly on damage;
-Enemies now use the A_Drop function for ammo drops instead of A_Spawnitemex, like I should have changed before, whoops;
-Ghosts can no longer be frozen;
-You can adjust the plasma projectiles rendering style now
-Removed the +avoidmelee flag from all enemies that had it. I've no clue why I added it back in the earlier versions.
Todo list:

Code: Select all

-Add SNES skins;
-Improve the Axe's death animation;
-Make High Definition Axe and Bat skins at the very least, so you can have at least one HD skin for each enemy slot;
-Update the rotations patch whenever a new character is released for it;
Credits:
Spoiler:
OLD OP:
Spoiler:
Last edited by HorrorMovieRei on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: [Rel] Bratwurst - Customizable nazis for Doom

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Youtube not working for me (internet problems here). Gonna download, seems pretty interesting. Expect post edits here. ;)
Miguel371xd

Post by Miguel371xd »

not work in zdoom? :L
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

It requires the latest ZDoom/GZDoom build to work.
Miguel371xd

Post by Miguel371xd »

oh im use the 2.8.0 xD thx (nice mod :D)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Forget the edit. Here's my feedback:

This is awesome. Keep up the good work!

No, being serious now, i like the ww-nazis enemies pattern here. tracers have different speeds and that makes it interesting even to vanilla gameplay. Just some things:

- Hitler's standing sprite on "Eva, aufwidexxxx i don't know german" takes a little more than i expected to take. Maybe reduce some ticks?
- Dr. Schabbs here transformed a dead enemy into a ubermutant(!) Is that intentional?
- Is it me (haven't looked inside) or the enemies are weaker?
- If you plan to replace the WolfensteinSS from doom, you could use the WaffenSS from SoD. Just a little suggestion.
- Hitler wasn't much of a challenge to me. Lets wait for future feedback but i thought he was easy. Maybe my expectations were to fight a ww-nazis one.

That's it for now i think. Excellent job so far! :)
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Huh, neat.

Any thoughts on the enemies from Spear Resurrection and End of Destiny?

I also noticed that the SS Guard mucks up compatibility with certain megawads. (Going Down, and Ancient Aliens, since the SS Guard's replaced with a new monster in those megawads.)
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

GAA1992 wrote:- Hitler's standing sprite on "Eva, aufwidexxxx i don't know german" takes a little more than i expected to take. Maybe reduce some ticks?
That's left over from how Wolfenstein bosses says their dying line before actually playing the death animation, and it seems I forgot to remove it. Oops
GAA1992 wrote:- Dr. Schabbs here transformed a dead enemy into a ubermutant(!) Is that intentional?
Yeah, you can change it in the settings, whether you want to him to revive people like normal or as mutants(or disable reviving altogether). I thought it would be cool to have him reviving people as mutants because his neddles turn BJ into a mutant in Wolfenstein.
GAA1992 wrote:- Is it me (haven't looked inside) or the enemies are weaker?
Wolfenstein enemies are a lot more basic than Doom's, so they feel weaker when put into maps made with Doom enemies in mind. But I think I can remedy this by adding more options for attack customization, like homing projectiles, continuous fire, and etc.
dljosef wrote:Any thoughts on the enemies from Spear Resurrection and End of Destiny?
I might add the some custom enemies in the future, but first I gotta figure out the best, least hacky way to change enemy spawns.
dljosef wrote:I also noticed that the SS Guard mucks up compatibility with certain megawads. (Going Down, and Ancient Aliens, since the SS Guard's replaced with a new monster in those megawads.)
Oh crap, I knew using the same sprite name as Doom's SS guard was a bad idea. But that's easy to fix, so next version it should be working fine.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I also noticed the Angel of Death's new attacks. That makes him far more challenging than he was in his native game. (As a final boss, no less.)
GAA1992 wrote:- Is it me (haven't looked inside) or the enemies are weaker?
The fake hitler ghosts would beg to differ compared to the cacodemons.
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

The Angel Of Death replaces what enemies?
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

As far as I know, he can be spawned by the icon of sin as the final boss, preventing the Icon from spawning anymore enemies. That, and him dying ends the level. (There's even the option for him to have his extra attacks and fancy death animation.)

And one last thing about the Angel of Death, it is possible to fight him in an IOS map that uses more than one boss spawner, resulting in multiples of the boss...but killing just one of them will end the level. I found that out through a bit of testing.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Also a good idea might be to replace the sprites for the already dead doom enemies lying on the maps. Weird fighting Nazis and the first thing you see is a dead Cacodemon and then dead former humans and sergeants where Nazis would be.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

Oh cool. I'm always up for shooting more nazis :)
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

Me and Untrustable had a similar idea when it came to a Wolfenstein enemies mod. It was called Waffen 4.0 which add the enemies from Wolfenstein in doom featuring their rotations and such. It wasn't finished but I'll release the builds pretty soon on my own thread. Anyways awesome work as usual dude. :D

I might bring the project back and add the enemies from the expansion packs as well but I'll have to think about that.
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Very small bugfix update:
-Fixed: Hitler's delay on death
-Fixed: Death Knight was shooting both missiles from his left side on the Doom hitscan and Tracer settings
-SS trooper has new sprite names, so it shouldn't conflict with megawads that replace the Doom's regular SS trooper

On a side note, I'm gonna be using more Anonymous fuctions next major update. So the code should be cleaner, and easier to edit(in case anyone wants to)

@Luigi2600 That's pretty cool. And thanks :wink:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”