IMPatience

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Miguel371xd

Re: IMPatience

Post by Miguel371xd »

it looks good,but I was wondering if it works with custom maps :v
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Updated the download link, added an 8th, 9th and 10th maps and tweaked doomguy a bit. He's now much more aggressive and avoids melee / is no longer blocked by it.
BFG wrote:there was an old skin on the emproium website that had a really good Imp hud face, is that the one you're using?
I wasn't aware of this, I just made the mugshots myself, copying some standard imp heads and adding blood / bruises / eyebrows / evil grins
EDIT: I tracked these down and they're great! much better than mine, I think I will use them.
2nd EDIT: I decided to keep the old mugshots, I feel they have more character! and I like the bruises
Miguel371xd wrote:it looks good,but I was wondering if it works with custom maps :v
Not at this stage, as it requires imps to be replaced with player starts, and all the doors opened, and doomguys added with patrol points. You can convert maps to work with this, but it takes about 10 - 20 minutes per map. I'd love to work out a purely ACS / Decorate way to do this, but at this stage I dont know how that would work.
You could run this wad with other mods and you'd get the imp mugshot, and be an imp, but you'd be starting in the standard marine starting positions, you wouldn't be able to open doors or activate switches, and there would be no UAC marine to kill...
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Image is this that alternative hud face? (second one along)
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

i also have to point out that you have to need the Auto equip weapons to use the weapons as the imp?
and also that The rocket launcher the plasma rifle and the bfg are not affected by the imp so if he grabs it he can hold them as long as he wants?
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

osjclatchford wrote:Image is this that alternative hud face? (second one along)
I did look at this one, but there wasn't a full set so I just made my own from the basic imp sprites and photoshop. Oh by the way osj, I ended up using the visored doomguy mugshot in my mars mod, it looks great!
Redead-ITA wrote:i also have to point out that you have to need the Auto equip weapons to use the weapons as the imp?
and also that The rocket launcher the plasma rifle and the bfg are not affected by the imp so if he grabs it he can hold them as long as he wants?
I think I will change it so the imp can switch back to weapons if he wants, otherwise after 15 or so maps you wont be able to use weapons at all!
EDIT: Ok I've updated the OP link, you can now change weapons at will, and return to weapons once you've changed away. Also cleaned up a few maps and minor issues.
GreenDoomguy1999

Post by GreenDoomguy1999 »

This skins-mod contains better imp hud faces
http://www.doomlegends.com/emporium/files/doomskin.zip
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Very fun mod. There are a number of issues with textures though. And doomguy gets stuck fairly often. I'm exited to see more
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Trusty McLegit wrote:Very fun mod. There are a number of issues with textures though. And doomguy gets stuck fairly often. I'm exited to see more
Which issues in particular? I occasionally get some error messages in console for some of the Doom1 maps, but I haven't actually seen anything amiss..
GreenDoomguy1999 wrote:This skins-mod contains better imp hud faces
http://www.doomlegends.com/emporium/files/doomskin.zip
I did look at these, and dropped them into the mod to test them out, but I guess I just liked my shitty ones better! The death face in particular I just didn't like. I prefer my bruised beard of blood look :D
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Here are most of the ones I could find: http://imgur.com/a/qvFru
Also note that in this screenshot, if you come down here you can get stuck permanently unless you noclip out
Spoiler:
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Trusty McLegit wrote:Here are most of the ones I could find: http://imgur.com/a/qvFru
Also note that in this screenshot, if you come down here you can get stuck permanently unless you noclip out
Spoiler:
Good spotting, thanks. I fixed an area on map06 that was causing a lot of issues, and I need to drag a few maps so the ceiling/floor textures line up with the geometry.

EDIT: thanks again for the texture spotting, I fixed the errors I could find (hopefully all of them!) and added an 11th map!
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Added 4 more maps, now up to 15 in total!

If anyone wants to help out with this project, here's how to convert a map into IMPatience:

1) Claim a map from the overall map document: Just write CLAIMED in the CLAIMED/FINISHED column so I know I dont have to do it myself! Note that the 3 or 4 maps after the currently finished ones will be the ones I'm doing next, so best not to claim them... I may already be working on them!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zT0 ... sp=sharing

2)
Open the selected map in your editor of choice (I use GZDoomBuilder) copy the lot, including sprites and actors.

3) Make a new map, using the following options:
Spoiler:
Change the map number to the IMPatience map number you're going to be making (check the google document above!) Make sure you're using the doom2 wad. The folder isn't important here... stay out of my users/public/ISO folder!

4) Paste the doom map into the new map you just created, make sure the teleporter and platform textures line up with the geometry. Now save the map into the IMPatience wad. It shouldn't ask you to replace anything, as you are making a new map (hopefully!) Your map should now be part of the IMPatience wad. You can check it by saving and reopening, your map should show up.

5) go around and open up most of the doors, be creative in which you want to leave closed and which secrets to expose. Dont worry if doors are key doors, open them any way! you want the players and monsters to be able to move throughout the level with impunity (no pun imptended) At this stage I also brighten the level especially if it has dark areas. I usually brighten about 32 units of brightness (4 clicks of "cntl+mousewheel up" while the sector is selected). Imps usually have darkvision and this is the intention here, no need for them to be stumbling around in the dark.

6) Check for any missing textures, especially in Doom1 maps, you may need to replace some with similar textures from doom2

7) Select the 4 player starts, and give them an argument 0 of 1. Now place the player 1 start in the position of an imp (if there aren't any imps in the map, just make something up!) Delete the imp where the player1 start is. The player replaces this imp. With the other 3 player starts, place them around in other imp positions, and uncheck those imps on "co op" mode, so that the players 2 through 4 dont telefrag an imp when the map starts. Make sure the player starts are present on all skill levels, and disabled for deathmatch. You should also place a Player1 start with an argument 0 of 0 for testing.

8) Place a doomguy / marine where the original player starts were. Use one of the marines from the Decorate actors (at the bottom of the list) as these are my custom doomguys. Usually he starts as a Plasma marine by map 15, but he could be a rocket marine, or a fast plasma marine if you find he's getting killed too much. Give him a tag, and set his special to: 80 (Script Execute) and to run script 3. Make sure he is set to be there under all difficulty levels.

9) Place a map spot (under the zdoom actors) with a new tag at doomguys position. This will be where he respawns. Make sure the map spot is set to be present on all difficulty levels, and singleplayer/coop/deathmath

10) Select all the monsters in the map (Except doomguy) and give them a new tag (they will all have the same tag) I've found its best to hold down shift here so you dont accidentally unselect everything halfway through, and you can just drag selection boxes over groups of monsters. It doesn't matter if you accidentally tag some health or items, this is just for Thing_Hate

11) Place a patrol point (under the zdoom actors) with a new tag. This will be the first patrol point doomguy runs to. Make sure this point has a clear line of movement to where doomguy spawns. Set the patrol points "Next Patrol Point Tag" in the Action/Tag/Misc tab to be the next number in sequence (so If the patrol point has a tag of 12, set this number to be 13) Make sure the patrol points are set to be present on all skill levels.

12)Plot out a course for doomguy to follow, repeating step 11. place a new patrol point, give it a new tag, and enter the "next patrol point tag". repeat until you have a full course for doomguy to follow, all the way to the exit of the level.

13) Check along doomguys path for any lines marked "block monsters" disable the block monsters flag so doomguy can pass. You may also want to enable some block monster lines along cliff edges so doomguy doesn't fall off and stays on track.

14) Add some walk over trigger lines for any platforms that are necessary to traverse the level. You can leave some inactive, but any right in the middle should be able to be triggered. Make the lines activated by monsters or the player walking over, and make them repeatable. Most platforms are already tagged from the original doom maps, so just check the platforms tag.

15) Drop this into your ACS Scripts, and fill in the blanks:

Code: Select all

#include "zcommon.acs"	

int a; //ImpScore: 3 doomguy kills to advance

Script 1 OPEN
{
SetActivator(0,AAPTR_PLAYER1);
a=0;
SetActorProperty(//DOOMGUYS TAG,APROP_Health,200);
GiveActorInventory(//DOOMGUYS TAG,"GreenArmor",1);
SetActorProperty(0,APROP_Health,60);
Thing_SetGoal(//DOOMGUYS TAG,//FIRST PATROL POINT TAG,0,1);
Thing_Hate(//DOOMGUYS TAG,//MONSTERS TAG,4);
Thing_Hate(//MONSTERS TAG,//DOOMGUYS TAGE,1);
ACS_Execute(6,0,0,0,0);
delay(100);
Print(s:"5 KILLS TO ADVANCE TO THE NEXT MAP"); // you can increase this if you like
}

Script 3 (void)  			//activated upon doomguys death
{
a++;
ACS_Execute(4,0,0,0,0);
delay(random(35,245));
SpawnSpotFacingForced("SSGMarine",//MAP SPOT AT DOOMGUYS POSITION,//DOOMGUYS TAG);
Thing_SetSpecial(//DOOMGUYS TAG,80,3,0,0);
Thing_Hate(//DOOMGUYS TAG,//MONSTERS TAG,4);
Thing_SetGoal(//DOOMGUYS TAG,//FIRST PATROL POINT TAG,0,1);
}

script 4 (void)				//death count
{
if(a == 1)
{
Print(s:"KILLED ONCE");
}
else if(a == 2)
{
Print(s:"KILLED TWICE");
}
else if(a == 3)
{
Print(s:"KILLED THREE TIMES");
}
else if(a == 4)
{
Print(s:"KILLED FOUR TIMES");
}
else
{
Teleport_NewMap(//NUMBER OF NEXT MAP IN SEQUENCE,1,FALSE);
}
}

Script 5 (void)					//Teleportation script if needed
{
Teleport(random(//TAG OF FIRST TELEPORT SPOT,//TAG OF LAST TELEPORT SPOT),0,0);
}

script 6 (void)					//Allows doomguy to pick up health
{
while(true)
{
delay(400);
If ( GetActorProperty(//DOOMGUYS TAG,APROP_Health) > 100)
{
Print(s:"The marine is looking ok for now...");
}
else if (GetActorProperty(//DOOMGUYS TAG,APROP_Health) < 50) 
{
Print(s:"The marine isn't looking too good...");
}
else
{
delay(150);
SetActorProperty(//DOOMGUYS TAG,APROP_Health,100);
Print(s:"The marine is hurt, but he's still finding health...");
}
}
}
16) Set any teleporter lines to activate script 5, and be repeatable, and activated by players or monsters walking over. Tag all the Teleport destinations and enter the lowest and highest tag script 5 (this will randomize a point no matter which teleport you walk over - allowing you to get new places be repeatedly trying teleports)

17) You're done! Playtest and make sure it works. You can remove the delay(150) from the last part of the last script if you need doomguy to heal more regularly. You can also decrease the other delays in the last script to speed up the healing process. Experiment and try to get it to a point that doomguy can easily traverse the map, killing all the monsters. It should mostly be the player that stands between doomguy and success.
Last edited by HexenMapper on Mon May 30, 2016 7:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Why don't you just put all the doom.wad textures in the impatience wad so you don't have to replace textures on doom 1 maps?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I believe that's technically copyright infringement and Id Software doesn't like it.

8-)
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/d1gfxd2 :shrug: (as in, you'd think it would at least be taken down by now if it was truly illegal)
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Thanks for the replies, I'm not really sure what the deal is with copyright, but this is purely for people to enjoy, so hopefully there isn't an issue. I'm not making any money from this, and I'm not distributing it beyond providing a download link....

I will check out adding doom1 textures, although there aren't usually many to replace.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”