[slow WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - BETA public DEMO

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - screenshots update - NEW m

Post by Nash »

HexenMapper wrote:but my current mod is just too early for radiation to be a thing (its a Hexen-WW2 crossover)
Well you can always make something up, maybe a curse, or a plague, or the blight... =P
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

ramon.dexter wrote:wilcocliw: I'm using magicavoxel to make voxels. Some of the voxcels are maded by me, some are from duke voxels, shadow warrior or blood.
If you wanna know how to use mgaicavoxel, just install it and look at some of the tutorial videos. Basically, it's easy as drawing a sprite.

Anyways, for some news: I'm having a hard times right now, so I'm not so focused on the Shadows. So th development is right now somewhere close to half. I have to sort some things and at least, make some fucking decent story...
Hashing out a story and background behind it I can help you out with if you wish. I'm a lot of the time brimming with story ideas but don't have the time or the patience to fully flesh them out hence why I've not ever finished any mapping I've tried to do. But yes, if you can note me what you've hashed out so far and where you think you wish to take the player story-wise, I can help out in helping find a sense of direction and plot/story details that of course will help out tremendously in deciding where to go next with the mapping.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

HexenMapper: Well, the radiation system is made by Vostyok. Its really simple. The are two scripts - one check if player is in radiation area. If he is in, he is given a dummy radiation item. When player has enough radiation items in inventory, things start to happen.
When player is not in radiated area, the amount of radiation dummies starts decreasing.
Simple as f*ck, yet efficient (and basically, it works the same way as radiation in real world)

But ask vostyok for permission.

patriot1776: Sent you a PM.
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Spoiler:
Interesting! I think I would handle it very differently, but thanks for the explanation. I think the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. radiation system is excellent, and I would probably try to simulate that.

Its a pity that low exposure to radiation doesn't really do shit in real life until you get thyroid cancer 20 years later. High exposure can kill you immediately though, and I've heard that the first responders to the Chernobyl fire came back with insta-tan, having been exposed to so much radiation that their skin went dark brown.

I'd love to play this mod sometime to see how it feels! I assume you have an anti rad item?
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

No anti rads right now, though I might create some radiation-affecting items.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

ramon.dexter wrote:No anti rads right now, though I might create some radiation-affecting items.
And that thing, on no anti-rad items right now, I think is pretty realistic, since like was said with the Chernobyl first-responders, who got insta-tanned, there was really nothing that could be done for them too, since they got such a mega dosage so fast. I'm read several other accounts from other kinds of nuclear accidents and much of the time then as of now, there's really not much in reality that can be done to get 'rads' outta your system and the effects, unless its a lethal dose, don't show up until later, within days or weeks if near-lethal. Only way to do anything about is either stay outta the highly irradiated areas or be super-suited up with a lead-lined envirosuit and breathing air tank to prevent from coming in contact with irradiated fluids and air and breathing irradiated air, so you don't get irradiated to begin with.

At the speed DooM-engine games are meant to take place at, mimicking those effects more realistically would require scripting to save how many 'rads' the player has on level exit, and then 'restoring' those rads to the player at the start of the next level, and then also every so often checking the player's rad numbers against some kind of 'dwell timer' or on a certain level number several levels into the mappack a special 'rad check' script. In either case, such a script would then check for the player's 'residual rads' and applying likely permanent debilitating effects like a permanent reduction of base health, speed, etc.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yes, too much of work, for almost nothing.

Well, basically, the radiation effect could be achieved with simple sector based damage...but the one I'm using has a fancy geiger clicking sounds. And that counts! :lol:

But I need some help with coding stuff. Basically, I want to have some kind of journal system (think any RPG game). My coding skill are too low to create something myself...
I have created a little workaround with custom inventory items&ACS - when you are assigned a quest, the NPC gives you a "PDA" item with information about the quest. Its not ideal, but it works. Also, it serves the purpose of quest tracker - when you have the item in inventory, the quest is active. When not, the quest is not active.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

duuuuude.

please dont get overwhelmed and give up, this looks like a breath of fresh air.

if you need play testers please by all means let me know, i would be more than stoked to get my hands on it.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

NEW UPDATE:

I'm putting this project to deep sleep.

Because I have lost track why I'm creating this, and also because I have little bit destroyed my real life relationship. My real life is more important, so I'm putting this to hold.

I will return to this, one day.

One day.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

ramon.dexter wrote:NEW UPDATE:

Because I have lost track why I'm creating this, and also because I have little bit destroyed my real life relationship. My real life is more important, so I'm putting this to hold.

One day.
ive definitely put doom before a relationship(s) and had it fuck up stuff before. so do what you gotta do, if you wouldnt mind i could definitely take the helm and see if i could match your style. good luck with the fixing your relationship and come back soon!
Carrascado

Post by Carrascado »

ramon.dexter wrote:NEW UPDATE:

One day.
Don't worry about it man, take care of your affairs and I wish you the best of luck with them, we will still be here when you come back :wink:
ramon.dexter

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - ON HOLD

Post by ramon.dexter »

VIDEO UPDATE

Hi guys, I'm back. I'm slowly reviving this project, so don't expect something big. Since the weather outside is improving and gets better and better, I will work on this only when I'm in the mood.

Here are some videos.

Map 04 - The Crossroads aka The Hub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxGN3P9SVZE

Map07 - The New Pilsen aka Klamath falls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPxrEAnArA

Hope you like it.
HexenMapper

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - VIDEO UPDATE (last post)

Post by HexenMapper »

Looks amazing! great attention to detail. Very atmospheric and cool
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

:O

God damn this looks great! Really looking forward to this!

(Man I love Fallout 1&2 music)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

welcome back and now they looks real good for sure, hope you don't stop and keep up the work!

and well... weapon sound effects were downer, but they does not matter, i guess!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”