IMPatience

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
HexenMapper

IMPatience

Post by HexenMapper »

Some crazed UAC marine is running amok through our facilities!
[epic trailer voice]One imp, is tired of waiting around...[/epic trailer voice]

Imp Demon by FinoRaptor http://finoraptor.deviantart.com/

Impatience: Doom from a new perspective
  • Player plays as an imp, starting in classic imp positions. Primary fire is melee attack, secondary fire is a fireball
  • The enemy is the UAC marine, who will run through the levels killing your buddies! Kill him 3 times to advance to the next map (5 times in later levels)
  • 21 maps done so far. Alternating between doom1 and doom2 maps.
  • 4 player starts for co op play
  • Player can pick up weapons, becoming a sergeant imp, to lead the masses!
  • The marine starts with better and better weapons, but loses them after being killed, being forced to pistol start.
  • The marine starts with the shotgun by map2, and rocket launcher by map 6. By map 6 he also respawns with a shotgun
Note that the imp can't activate buttons or doors, but most of the doors in each map have been opened, and some platforms have had walk-over triggers added so that imps and the UAC monster can activate them.
Difficulty levels are not what they used to be! Higher difficulty means more allies for you, so UV becomes easy mode, and HMP becomes pretty hard. ITYTD is kind of easy, but far fewer allies for you, and HNTR Is a rough ride, but feels pretty commando
Also the map names are screwed up until I add in the MAPINFO to correct them (is there a way to do this without having to redefine the skies?)

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hbzd48tly ... nce_52.wad
Runs in zdoom and Gzdoom with the doom2.wad

I intend to convert all of doom1 and 2 into this mod, so 59 maps in total. I've done ~10 maps from each, so quite a bit still to go!

If anyone would like to help with this project, the steps to converting a map to IMPatience are on page 2 of this thread! I would greatly appreciate any help as there are still ~30 maps to do!

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Gameplay:
Spoiler:
Last edited by HexenMapper on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:14 am, edited 23 times in total.
Redead-ITA

Re: IMPatience

Post by Redead-ITA »

i found some bugs
The first one is the marine if you go very close he cant hurt you
The second is there are some texture error and im playing with gzdoom too

But i also like the concept
i think it can be expanded i dont wanna say where but it can be expanded
Last edited by Redead-ITA on Tue May 10, 2016 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I've tried this, I like the idea.

You could make the imp player be immune to other monster projectiles and bullets so you won't be able to be killed by the other monsters accidentally.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

or you could you know make it in a way that in every new level you get the default health
i played map02 and i get the armor then i killed the uac marine
i keeped that with the my low health that i had
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

@Redead-ITA
Yeah I noticed that, I'll add a script to reset the payers health on level start, I want it to be as close to normal doom gameplay as possible, but with the player as an imp. So he should really always start at full health.

I played through this on HNTR and it was pretty intense. managed to beat it but died quite a few times... worked out some tactics and I think the bug where the doom player can't hurt you is actually pretty cool, so as soon as you close the gap you pretty much have him. I could lower his pain chance though which would definitely help, maybe even give him a bezerker melee attack later on.

It would be cool to get some imp powerups. Things like a charge / speed boost or ultrafast fireballs.

@4thcharacter
I kind of want it to be pretty true to normal doom play, so that infighting should always be a thing. The imp player has to actually kill enemies to get to certain areas, so its only fair that they can fight back!
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Maybe make the player immune to imp fireballs and vice versa? But not claws of course.
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Yep sounds good, I'll probably end up putting a damage factor for imp fireballs, reducing them by half or something

EDIT: Imps now take 0 damage from other imp fireballs. Doomguy should avoid melee range a bit more, and has a 0 pain chance.
Also added a 7th map. OP link has been updated.
I added health reset scripts to each level, but it didn't seem to work on map 3 for some reason.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

wow! what a great concept! will dl and try it soon :D
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

Looks pretty cool, I wouldn't mind using the beast hands for my mod "ZBlood v4.4" if you don't mind. :D
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Feel free luigi, I think they're from a blood hand set anyway!

The full set is here:
Spoiler:
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

The imp can use the shotgun :v
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Yep the imp can use all weapons, but only once. If you run out of ammo, or pick up a new weapon you will never be able to switch back, so choose wisely!

You can always switch back to your imp claws and fireballs on slot 1 though.

Become a shotgun wielding, armor sporting, souped up imp sergeant! Lead the hell armies against this presumptuous invader!

I have almost finished map 8. Doomguy is respawning with a SSG but he still sucks in melee. It might take me a while to get his decorate solid. he's a bit all over the place at the moment, either insta-killing you at medium range, or totally fluffing his life in melee. I need to program some circle strafing!
Sarah
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 11 (bullseye), Windows 10

Post by Sarah »

This concept is extremely cool and very fun; I didn't even realize I could use other weapons so going straight imp is quite possible. The marine isn't terribly bright as I found him often running for the exit rather than taking a second to blast the imp following him (me), but when he did I often had to turn tail too. I can see this becoming a really awesome game!

Problems:
1 - It is possible to be spawned somewhere that would require me to attack other monsters to get out into the level.
- - Underhalls was one such map where I was spawned by the blue key; getting out of there was not possible with four sergeants in the way. Also the marine stood no chance against the hordes and the map finished itself...so 1 point out of 10 since I did chuckle at the absurdity.

2 - Redistribution of modified but otherwise very little changes made to original game maps. It's cool to run around e1m1 as an imp and show that midget marine who's boss! However I'm not sure that it is acceptable to do so if the map is a barely modified copy of the original. If this is fine (moderators/devs will have to clarify) then this problem can be regarded as the worries of just one paranoid modder and I'll shut up. Otherwise I'd suggest looking for an ACS/Decorate solution if you want to keep the original gameplay with original maps, and/or create custom maps, make this compatible with other mods, or make this a custom game.

My final thoughts: Don't take that "1 out of 10" rating as my final rating, this fully deserves an 8 out of 10, and I'll bump that to 9 if my second problem is just the paranoid worries of just one modder, just like I said. I had a blast with this and I'd love to see more!
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Thanks nero, I agree this has potential, I just started it for fun about a week ago. Good point with your problem no 2. I'm not really sure what the deal is there. I'm just putting this up for free for people to enjoy, I dont plan to make any money from it so hopefully its not an issue.
This project is still in pretty early stages, getting the marines code correct will take some time.

Definitely keen to have this mod compatible with other mods or mapsets, but at this stage it requires slightly editing each level in order to place the player starts and open doors etc... "imp-ify" the level. I can provide a guideline to imp-ifying levels and provide the 3 basic scripts that run the death count, respawn, thing_hate, and doomguy patrol points

Also yes sometimes you have to kill your way out in order to face the marine, I do need to rebalance some maps I feel in order that the player actually has to help. I've been giving the marine 200 health and armor in the later maps, so hopefully that helps!
BFG

Post by BFG »

there was an old skin on the emproium website that had a really good Imp hud face, is that the one you're using?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”