Weapon Wheel v1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
GleasSpty

Weapon Wheel v1

Post by GleasSpty »

I just finished work on a first version of a weapon wheel mod for Project Brutality and vanilla Doom earlier today, and I am curious what your thoughts are. More details along with a download link can be found at http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... apon-wheel (too big to attach here unfortunately).

This is my second mod, but just the first one written with the intention of releasing, so I'm not exactly sure what the protocol is. Is it any more complicated than: "Here is my mod. Now go and play it!"? In any case, do let me know what you think, and in particular if you find any bugs or otherwise have suggestions for improvement.

Last edited by GleasSpty on Sun May 08, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Devianteist

Re: Weapon Wheel v1

Post by Devianteist »

All the information regarding submissions that you need can be found here; http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13893

This is pretty nifty. I haven't tried it out with Project Brutality, but it is really fun with vanilla.

I'll try using it with Smooth DOOM after I finish my fix for my DUMP-2 map. If it isn't compatible, oh well. This mod rocks as is.
GleasSpty

Post by GleasSpty »

It probably won't be compatible with Smooth DOOM, at least not out of the box. It depends on whether or not Smooth DOOM changes the names of the weapons internally. As it changes the animations, my guess is it almost certainly does. That said, if you have any modding experience at all, it would probably take at most an hour to make a Smooth DOOM version. It's just a matter of telling the mod what the names of the weapons and names of the sprites are.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

The most experience I have with modding is mapping, and that's pretty limited. Also, you are correct, it does not appear to work.
GleasSpty

Post by GleasSpty »

I just uploaded a new version that contains a Smooth DOOM compatible version of the mod.

One caveat is that Smooth DOOM allows you to change between original and DOOM 64 sprites, whereas the Weapon Wheel mod will only use the original sprites all the time. It took a whole 20 minutes or so to just throw in the sprites and change the names in weapon_list, but to make the wheel 'smart' and detect which sprite sets the player had chosen would take, relatively speaking, quite a long time. I would have to look through Smooth DOOM code and become familiar with that mod to implement a feature like this, and as it's just a very minor cosmetic thing, I'm not going to worry about it for the moment.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

A lil' clarification here: Loismustdie DEFINITELY isn't to be credited for this all alone, that's first. Secondly, he didn't ask for my permission while doing that thing you used for the base. He took all he needed from here, be it code-base or graphic-wise. I won't ask to take this down, just give credit to DoomNukem for graphics and Stan423321/Zhs2 for the rest, considering that milk has been spilt already.
GleasSpty

Post by GleasSpty »

Sorry about that. I didn't know. I will update the credits on moddb accordingly.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Would be cool if you'd also update the credits file inside the PK3's, just to ommit further confusion. After that, I probably won't bother you anymore. :P
doony

Post by doony »

I liked very much, sometimes press 7 for pick the bfg its a kind hard, a weapon wheel helps a lot
what I think could make it better was use the doom mouse for select the weapon
its hard selecting a weapon with the Y axis inverted
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Don't know about anyone else but I get a virus alert when attempting to download this file, both Chrome & Windows Defender detect it.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

I did not honestly expect you to make a Smooth Doom version! I was merely amusing myself with the idea. Thank you very much.

As for the virus thing, after I got Norton and Windows 10 apparently everything has become a virus, so I'm not sure what to say about that.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Norton is the virus, IMO. Ditch that and stick with the built-in Windows Defender.

8-)
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

Oh nice this feature also appear in DooM (doom4)
GleasSpty

Post by GleasSpty »

PillowBlaster wrote:Would be cool if you'd also update the credits file inside the PK3's, just to ommit further confusion. After that, I probably won't bother you anymore. :P
Ahhh, sorry. I actually forgot about this. I've just copy and pasted what I put on moddb into "Credits.txt", so it should be there in the next upload (probably sometime later today?).
GleasSpty

Post by GleasSpty »

Ironically, my own computer detects a virus as well when I go to download it. Any idea what might be causing this?

What's weirder: I manually removed it from quarantine, had Windows Defender scan it again, and then it didn't detect anything . . . WTF?
Last edited by GleasSpty on Mon May 09, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”