[ECWolf]Astrostein (Spifferaneous Edition) - HD UPDATE!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AstroCreep

[ECWolf]Astrostein (Spifferaneous Edition) - HD UPDATE!

Post by AstroCreep »

This is an update to the conversion of Spiff's Astrostein mod I did last year. Much like my "Halten Sie" update, this adds higher resolution graphics, floor/ceiling textures, light levels, and many other updates! There are two versions - one has 64x enemy sprites (from the WolfenDoom version) and the other has 128x enemy sprites (from the original Mac version). Check out the txt files within the pk3 for more info!
Spoiler: CHANGES FROM ORIGINAL
Spoiler: CREDITS
Spoiler: SCREENSHOTS
DOWNLOAD
64x enemy sprites version
128x enemy sprites version

ORIGINAL CONVERSION
MAC VERSION PC COMPATIBILITY FIX
MORE MODS BY ASTROCREEP CAN BE FOUND HERE
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [ECWolf]Astrostein (Spifferaneous Edition) - HD UPDATE!

Post by armymen12002003 »

hey just tried this got to E1L4 and the my game crashed for no reason i was using an svn of ecwolf please fix
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

It doesn't seem to be crashing for me. Any more details?
armymen12002003

it works just fine on the latest release of ecwolf the crash only happens on an svn version
armymen12002003

Also can you change the sprite for the officer cause it shares the same sprites that of the the guard cause it is quite confusing coming up on a guard not knowing if its a officer.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Unfortunatley I'm not going to do that for two reasons - A: That is how it was in the original mod. I do not aim to drastically change this, only enhance it. The only thing I wanted to do spritewise was update it to the WolfenDoom sprites, because Bruce Ryder's sprites are complete garbage. Laz was a much better sprite artist. B: I do not have a pc style officer sprite that doesn't use chainguns. I could change it in the mac version, but the pc officer replaced the doom chaingunner, so those sprites use a chaingun instead. I have tried making pistol sprites, but I just cannot get them to look the way I want them to. So that will stay the same way that it is. Don't worry - After NOAHPAK is finished, I have some sort of Astrostein-themed short mod planned, and I definitely do not plan on using recycled sprites at all.

As for your bug that you reported, I happen to be using the SVN version of ECWolf and still haven't discovered any crash. I need more details. Run ECWolf from a command prompt and copy what the text says when it crashes. I need to know what exactly I need to fix. "It crashes" could mean damn near anything is causing it, from sprite doubles to typos in the decorate scripts. Gotta narrow it down to fix it
armymen12002003

AstroCreep wrote:Unfortunatley I'm not going to do that for two reasons - A: That is how it was in the original mod. I do not aim to drastically change this, only enhance it. The only thing I wanted to do spritewise was update it to the WolfenDoom sprites, because Bruce Ryder's sprites are complete garbage. Laz was a much better sprite artist. B: I do not have a pc style officer sprite that doesn't use chainguns. I could change it in the mac version, but the pc officer replaced the doom chaingunner, so those sprites use a chaingun instead. I have tried making pistol sprites, but I just cannot get them to look the way I want them to. So that will stay the same way that it is. Don't worry - After NOAHPAK is finished, I have some sort of Astrostein-themed short mod planned, and I definitely do not plan on using recycled sprites at all.
oh ok lol its a good mod i was just saying it gets confusing coming up on an officer who has the same sprite as a guard lol
Last edited by armymen12002003 on Sun May 01, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

I agree, and was considering replacing it at one point, however the lack of sprites prevented me from doing so. Spiff took most of the sprites from Bruce Ryder's demo, and created a few, but it seems he didn't want to go through the trouble of creating an officer sprite, probably because it has a lot more frames than the simple boss sprites he created.
armymen12002003

well the only thing looks like with different from laz's wolfendoom version was was the firing frames which shouldn't be to hard to make
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Theoretically. Tried making them but I couldn't get them looking the way I wanted them to. Not sure why, I made a few of the Mac GFX bosses and the firing frames for both the Mac GFX 2nd guard and all of the WolfenDoom characters. However those were all simple copy and paste stuff. Maybe I can look through a few of Laz's other WolfenDoom mods and see if there's some stuff I can piece together, if not for this mod, at least for use by me or someone else in the future. I do have a shit ton of Astrostein resources here
armymen12002003

it's basically based off the original wolf 3d officer.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Yes. The difference is the coloring of the shirt and the hat. The flat white color of the officer makes it difficult to easily recolor in photoshop. It is possible by hand but would be a long process, especially if I wanted to do turning frames. Maybe in something like the Portal wolfendoom mod, I think those ones were brown, which would make it easier to recolor, just a tweak in hue and saturation.
armymen12002003

yes but you wouldn't have to do firing frames
armymen12002003

also speaking of which the crash happens only on the 32 bit svn versions of ecwolf.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

that's weird. did you run it from a command prompt? do that so you can see the console when it crashes, then screenshot it and send it this way

Return to “Levels”