[DEMO] Membrane - a standalone game in GZDoom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SuperDon

[DEMO] Membrane - a standalone game in GZDoom

Post by SuperDon »

Mod DB
Website

MEMBRANE

Membrane is a game being developed in the GZDoom engine. Featuring fast gameplay, expansive labyrinthine levels, with fun sci fi weapons and powers.
Membrane is a throwback to classic First Person Shooters, inspired by the likes of Jedi Knight, Duke Nukem 3d, and of course Doom.

Download Page

STORY
You awaken in the crumbling ruins of a laboratory. An alien membrane covers your arms and back. You hear it in your head... responding to your thoughts, telling you to escape!
As you climb into the light, it becomes clear you have been the subject of alien experimentation. You can hear a patrol in the distance... you will have to fight your way out and find a way
back to Earth!

GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE
Never mind my video, Randomize User does a great funny playthrough of the whole thing (except he misses all the secrets :cry: )

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
I'm actually not too sure what the system requirements will be for this, but you have to be able to run GZDoom so you need an OpenGL capable graphics card. This game uses a lot of 3d models.

TIPS
You will need to use jump and crouch!
There are four weapons in the Demo.
Weapons all have a secondary fire.
Blow up cracks in the wall.
Play in CO-OP for a slightly different experience.

ETC
I am looking for feedback! Love the game? Hate it? Have any issues running it, or the launcher, let me know.
I am a long time lurker on this forum, so hi 8-) The idea is to monetize this at some point and create a full game. If any experienced level editors would like to collaborate on this, send me a message.
Last edited by SuperDon on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
simpletonnn

Re: [DEMO] Membrane - a standalone game in GZDoom

Post by simpletonnn »

(please note: i havent played this yet)

looks like it has potential, but, something about it just dosen't really seem right. it feels feels kinda...
amateur, i guess.

but hey dont let me turn you down, who knows this might end up being really good
Nash

Post by Nash »

Holy fuck, this game's aesthetics looks GORGEOUS. If I could criticize only 1 thing, is that the animation states are very Doom-y and choppy. You can fix those with some complicated DECORATE programming (not my expertise though).

I am already in love. As a fellow GZDoom engine indie game modder, I am fully aware of how much work is involved in creating a game from scratch and what you've shown here today is already more work that I could ever wish to accompish. 9 stars from me!
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

I had to give this a run through. Amazing work right here - the models are nicely animated, level design is great and the aesthetics are beautiful. I'd love to see this released, it has a lot of potential. Brilliant demo!
SuperDon

Post by SuperDon »

simpletonnn: How so? Maybe it is, hah. I would suggest giving it a try.

Nash: Thanks!! I plan to add more frames of animation to the enemies. When I started out, I was relying on the engines model interpolation to cut down on the length of code, which works fine for the first person weapons, but not for other actors. If you go into third person and look at the player model you can see she has nice smooth animations because I changed my workflow.

LedIris: Thank you! I put a ton of work and polish (I think) into this demo. If only I could work on it full time. Maybe some day =)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'm not talking about merely animation frames, but in terms of movement and physics too. Doom's movement code is very primitive, the enemies "teleport" in steps and are locked to only 8 angles. You don't notice this with 2D sprites but when actors are in 3D, you can see how limited and choppy the movement is.

There are tricks people use to make actors actually slide smoothly instead of teleporting in steps but I'm not too familiar with DECORATE. I think it has something to do with using thrust code pointers to launch the thing forward. Not sure how to work around the 8-angle-limit though; but I know it's possible because I've seen mods with models that move beyond 8 angles.
simpletonnn

Post by simpletonnn »

okay, so, i just played the game for a bit and it was... okay.

definitely wasn't a groundbreaking experience, but i can definitely tell a lot of effort was put into this.
the animations looked odd, and the environment wasn't extremely appealing with it being so dark and muddy looking.
i really had a hard time traveling the map, and i never made it past the steep heights because it was so dark and hard to see.
the weapon designs are also kind of eh, but they work.

anyways so far i give it like a 3/5 it was allright, not sure what i expected considering this is a demo that was released JUST YESTERDAY. but anyways i hope to see this project get some more work, it has potential. like alot.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

I like what i played, but like others said, there's something not right, but it can't really be explained well.
My two cents: focus on making gunplay a little more enjoyable, right now it doesn't feel right.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

I'm with Nash. As someone who, ever since discovering the autonomous potential for projects with ZDoom, I am 100% behind projects like this. KEEP IT UP, this is awesome! :)
SuperDon

Post by SuperDon »

Nash: Interesting I will have a look into doing that.

simpletonnn: Perhaps it is too dark, did you play with the gamma settings at all? Weirdly, it seems darker in some resolutions than others, and it also varies by computer. I am open to any suggestions on designs or otherwise!

HazeBandicoot: Again, open to suggestions. I tried to make each weapon more useful than it first appears. The fists can perform a very powerful uppercut combo by firing primary > primary > secondary. The raygun can be charged up and held to one shot weaker enemies, The spread gun bounce shot appears weak, but gets more powerful the more it bounces, so you can gib enemies by bouncing a shot off the floor or wall.

TheDoomGuy: Thanks I appreciate it! :D
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

It's less about the functionality and more about the feel, most of the times i see energy weapons they usually don't have the punch to make them memorable, gameplay wise they work quite well (and now i know how to fist aliens in a better way :P).
maseter

Post by maseter »

Kudos, it's amazing, the big things, like the custom gzdoom build, and even details, like the larger console font!
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

just played through this, pretty great!
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

gotta love those gun designs, i'm in for some suggestion! gotta play it!

EDIT: played it already! and here's my gripes!;
- when i start the game first time, invert mouse was turned on. intentional? i'm not kinda used to invert mouse setting...
- every single of projectile lacks decals, looks like many people mistakes it except others who are intentional. so was it again, intentional?
- indeed every weapons lacks animations as well, spread gun. hope it can have cocking, recharging or other reloading movement!
- yellow energy grenade thing doesn't play bouncing sound effect when it's bouncing.
- enemies' movement are so choppy, just like vanilla doom! hope you know how to make them move smoothly!
- when you break the glass, it doesn't plays the sound effect.

except those, it's pretty great game! can't wait for the next update there, gotta wait!
SuperDon

Post by SuperDon »

Some good points! Perhaps I should improve the weapon animations somehow. There will definitely be more puzzles involving powers/weapons/enemy/environment interactions for sure.

Captain J:
I simply made the default configuration out of my own config file, and I use inverted mouse. I guess non-inverted the default these days, heh.
Whoa, I totally forgot decals for the weapons! At least I did the blood decals. I went ahead and made some this evening, it was easy enough.
Spoiler:
Guess I missed some sound effects too. Good call.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”