[WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.4 Released! [HITBOXES ARE FIXED]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x12 Released! [QUAD DAMAGE]

Post by TheRailgunner »

comet1338 wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:How exactly does the altfire get messed up - does it behave strangely, or is it just unfair?
it's semi auto just like the primary fire
Ah - I left a couple lines of A_WeaponReady before the A_Refire array - whoops.

Anyway, I've fixed it and updated the Last Salvo and VSK7 explosions - basically, if they spawn in front of you, you're taking damage from them. The LS' hazard radius is also smaller - 256 map units instead of 384 (the first hallway in Doom 2's Map 01 is about 384 map units, for comparison). Still dangerous to use in close quarters, but hopefully more visually intuitive.

I crossposted The Trooper to Doomworld - as far as they're concerned, it literally does not exist (unless they have a separate section for gameplay mods, which I didn't see).
PooshhMao

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x12 Released! [QUAD DAMAGE]

Post by PooshhMao »

Having a blast with this, even though I suspect you're not quite ready tweaking the guns yet :)
Excellent mod to play slaughter maps with, but still want to retain a smidgen of challenge if the likes of Russian Overkill are a bit much.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1 Released! [BALANCING ACTS]

Post by TheRailgunner »

PooshhMao wrote:Having a blast with this, even though I suspect you're not quite ready tweaking the guns yet :)
Excellent mod to play slaughter maps with, but still want to retain a smidgen of challenge if the likes of Russian Overkill are a bit much.
Do the guns need tweaking?

I like the pace of slaughter map-grade arsenals, but not the lack of danger, hence the course I've taken with The Trooper.

At any rate, I've updated The Trooper to version 0.1, superseding the 0.x## naming scheme as the arsenal is in its complete form, barring the possible reintroduction of the Sharpshooter Arm. Changes include:

*Last Salvo explosions should be more intuitive, but less laggy. Explosion radius reduced to 128 (equivalent to the vanilla Rocket Launcher) and overall damage reduced slightly.
*Surfeit Torment now deals more noticeable damage to groups of enemies.
*Sokova 46 ammo occasionally replaces explosive magnum bullets, in the hopes of providing more AS-46 ammo around Chaingun spawns and reducing availability of magnum bullets. AS-46 now only gives 30 bullets when first picked up - all future pickups only give 10, like the Chaingun does.
*All ammo limits except for Surfeit Torment reduced considerably.
*Explosive magnum bullets now spawn in increments of 1, 2, 3, or 6, with drops being weighted towards the first three. Players now spawn with 24 bullets instead of 36.
*VSK7 Nightshade now gives 8 shells on first pickup, and anywhere from 1 to 4 on subsequent pickups.
*Last Salvo gives 4 slugs on first pickup and 1 to 4 on future pickups. Railgun slug boxes now contain 4 slugs instead of 8.
*Sturmman M97 now gives 32 on first pickup, 16 each following.
*Pulsar-D gives 60 on first pickup, 30 each following.
*Errant Quad Damage values corrected.
*Sharpshooter Arm is now usable, though it does not spawn naturally - holding off on that until I have a better pickup sprite.

If some variety of ammo seems unusually abundant or some weapons feel underutilized compared to their function, please let me know so I can make corrections as necessary.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

TheRailgunner wrote: Do the guns need tweaking?
umm... reload state (and reload sprites) for the Sokova's Grenade Altfire?
auratoostronk
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by auratoostronk »

Overall, a pretty good mod. The only two things I didn't like were: 1. The insane recoil on the auto shotgun, which while intended, still seemed like a bit too much to even use at close range effectively unless you fired in semi, and 2. The lack of reload mechanics, which I'm sure you guys are working on, and I understand why its not implemented. As someone who's tried ripping a full reload animation from Garry's Mod, I can tell you it's a miracle I got it done even with keeping the GMod hands in the sprite. Reload sprites are a nightmare, so I honestly don't blame you. Keep at it though! I can tell it won't be long before this mod is 1000 more bomb than 2x its current bomb squared...

yay math joke everyone's favorite woohoo.

-Nickthestud
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.1 Released! [BALANCING ACTS]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Nickthestud wrote:Overall, a pretty good mod. The only two things I didn't like were: 1. The insane recoil on the auto shotgun, which while intended, still seemed like a bit too much to even use at close range effectively unless you fired in semi, and 2. The lack of reload mechanics, which I'm sure you guys are working on, and I understand why its not implemented. As someone who's tried ripping a full reload animation from Garry's Mod, I can tell you it's a miracle I got it done even with keeping the GMod hands in the sprite. Reload sprites are a nightmare, so I honestly don't blame you. Keep at it though! I can tell it won't be long before this mod is 1000 more bomb than 2x its current bomb squared...

yay math joke everyone's favorite woohoo.

-Nickthestud
It's funny that you mention the reloading, since I am working on a few reload animations, though I won't add reloading as a mechanic until all of them are complete:

Anyway, the Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis is now obtainable! This one I'm hoping to see feedback on mainly because I'm kind of iffy about it - I don't know what players' impressions of it will be.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

I really, REALLY like all the weapons, but the recoil on a lot of them is kinda nauseating, and I don't usually get that sort've thing. The 2 main culprits are the Sturmman M97, to the point of simply not using the full auto due to all the jerking about, and the fact that's basically useless to full auto since you wind up wasting ammo.

The Last Salvo is really bad tho, the up and down just doesn't feel right to me, dunno why, but it feels off. I still like it now that the radius is no longer absurd tho!

The Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis feels really nice to use, kinda like a mini-bfg bomb thing that's just fun to shoot, really.

OH, and I love the fact that you gave the Lost Guardian DGA-3 a more standard firing mode, though, the angle of the gun looks off to me, like it's point to the left rather than the center. Might be me tho.

Am I the only one that would really, REALLY like to have the ability to zoom-in with these weapons? Cuz I'd just love that.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Cryomundus wrote:I really, REALLY like all the weapons, but the recoil on a lot of them is kinda nauseating, and I don't usually get that sort've thing. The 2 main culprits are the Sturmman M97, to the point of simply not using the full auto due to all the jerking about, and the fact that's basically useless to full auto since you wind up wasting ammo.

The Last Salvo is really bad tho, the up and down just doesn't feel right to me, dunno why, but it feels off. I still like it now that the radius is no longer absurd tho!

The Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis feels really nice to use, kinda like a mini-bfg bomb thing that's just fun to shoot, really.

OH, and I love the fact that you gave the Lost Guardian DGA-3 a more standard firing mode, though, the angle of the gun looks off to me, like it's point to the left rather than the center. Might be me tho.

Am I the only one that would really, REALLY like to have the ability to zoom-in with these weapons? Cuz I'd just love that.
As far as the recoil being nauseating...I'll implement some sort of CVAR-based recoil scalar in the future, but I've never really had any issues like that in-game (that said, I get this comment pretty often, usually about the Sturmman M97). I'm used to actively compensating for recoil, so I find full-auto to be useful at point-blank range simply because the recoil adjustment won't throw off my aim enough to make me miss. I do have to work on that scalar, though - I get that response about the recoil far too often...

The angle on the DGA-3 is indeed off, though I tried to compensate for it somewhat by placing it further to the right. Still, it is noticeably flawed in the perspective department. I may attempt to resprite it so that it aligns more properly.

I experimented with zooming-in with The Trooper, and I found that it detracted from the pace of gameplay - it simply wasn't terribly useful. I do want to add a zoom feature to the ASP, however, seeing as though it IS a sniper rifle, but as far as the basic weapons are concerned, I probably won't add ADS for a while, if at all (an animation for it exists for the Sokova 46, and I even had it functional during the prerelease stages - it slowed things down too much).

The ASP can now be fired again before it automatically recenters the crosshair - not necessarily advisable, but it's something all of the weapons should have. Knife lost some damage, had its Quad Damage state corrected, and can no longer damage more than one enemy. Still can't get the Quad Damage to play its fading sound, though...
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

My rendition of The Trooper logo.

(incaseofimgurplsclickthatone)

not part of the update but... probably a new (rejected) logo?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

YukesVonFaust wrote:My rendition of The Trooper logo.

(incaseofimgurplsclickthatone)

not part of the update but... probably a new (rejected) logo?
Hate to say it, but rejected, probably - I named The Trooper (and sought out said logo) after the Iron Maiden song, hence the Iron Maiden font. I was hoping to use the Doom Alpha font as default text, albeit recolored to match the logo, but I've really just been too damn lazy. I'm sorry if it's rude of me, but I won't part with the original logo save for an improved version of it.

The Trooper's DBIGFONT, edited from Jimmy's Doom 93:
Spoiler:
EDIT: DGA-3 now occasionally spawns with plasma batteries instead of fusion batteries. Sharpshooter Arm spawn chance greatly increased.
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

Digging the mod so far. I think the only real nitpick I have is that the first person weapon sprites for certain weapons don't line up with the projectiles point of impact.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

better one i hope
at least the font fits with doom alpha like Iron Maiden did
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.1.2 Released! [GPMG]

Post by TheRailgunner »

YukesVonFaust wrote:Image
better one i hope
at least the font fits with doom alpha like Iron Maiden did
I definitely want to do something with this - I might create some sort of hybrid logo...

I've fixed a couple of incorrectly labeled pickup actors for the DGA-3 and added a new weapon - the Gehiron M83 General Purpose Machine Gun, replacing one in every 256 AS-46 spawns:

In addition, I've made a few tweaks to a few of the basic Doom monsters to more closely match The Trooper's intended gameplay speed:

*Zombiemen and shotgunners can now refire, and will attack sooner.
*Imps, Hell Nobles, Arachnotrons, and Cacodemons react more quickly, and can attack repeatedly.
*All enemies, except for the Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, Lost Soul, and Wolfenstein SS, may take evasive action when shot.
DMBlade

Post by DMBlade »

Hey, I've just joined this place as I wanted to say, I've found a huge problem with this mod:

Whenever I shoot certain weapons in this, it snaps the direction that I'm facing to a pre-determined direction. To further elaborate this, the instant I pull the trigger on some of those weapons, all of a sudden, I'm likely facing away from the enemy that I was shooting at.

Granted, not all of them are affected by this, however, the semi-auto shotgun, the automatic rifle, burst-fire rifle, & the blood-red sword are affected by this.

I'm not sure if more of your weapons have that problem, as I haven't gotten the rest of the weapons in this mod. I'm also not sure if this is an actual bug or something that I could do on my end.

So, please tell me if there's a way to fix that, or if it'll be fixed in the next version... I'd really would love to keep playing this.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It sounds like a known bug with the newest ZDoom dev builds. I'm not sure what to suggest though, aside from trying slightly older builds until you find one that doesn't give that problem.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”