Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised May 8 2021]

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Mar 14 2016]

Post by wildweasel »

We're only a few days away from the first of April, which denizens of the Internet will most likely know is April Fools' Day. I'm sure there'll be some good fun to be had, but I'd just like to say before the proceedings, that I'd really like it if nobody tries to use April Fools as an excuse to be a jerk. The community's done a pretty good job of keeping the day clean and reasonable for the past several years, so hopefully we can keep up that record this year. Just keep the rules in mind when designing your prank.

Oh, and by the way, if you're going to pull the "project with misleading name" prank this year, remember that you're still beholden to the Project Posting Guidelines. =P
Nash

Post by Nash »

For the Bugs forum, would it be a good idea to write in a much bigger and over-the-top font to provide runnable example files and especially NO to screenshots/videos only as those are next to useless for debugging? :mrgreen: Imagine the amount of interactions cut, and time saved fixing bugs if Graf didn't have to ask for an example file every time none was provided...
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Nash wrote:For the Bugs forum, would it be a good idea to write in a much bigger and over-the-top font to provide runnable example files and especially NO to screenshots/videos only as those are next to useless for debugging? :mrgreen: Imagine the amount of interactions cut, and time saved fixing bugs if Graf didn't have to ask for an example file every time none was provided...
That's actually already covered by the Bug Posting Guidelines that nobody apparently reads. =/
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yeah, I know it's there and I know nobody reads it, which was why I suggested "written much bigger and over-the-top" haha. =P

EDIT: I meant, write it much bigger in the red warning box at the top of the Bugs forum.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Nash wrote:Yeah, I know it's there and I know nobody reads it, which was why I suggested "written much bigger and over-the-top" haha. =P

EDIT: I meant, write it much bigger in the red warning box at the top of the Bugs forum.
Ah. Well, that's going to have to be up to Randi...
LastManonEarth

Post by LastManonEarth »

Hi All. I agree with forum rules. Will try to help as well as enjoy my stay here. Thanks in advance!
DARK BARON

Post by DARK BARON »

hey can i still post on this? yes?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

DARK BARON wrote:hey can i still post on this? yes?
Do you have some reason to post in here? Problems with the rules? Questions about them?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

@wildweasel (or other mods): This may be a dumb question, but are these rules under any kind of "licensing" or attribution requirements?

The reason I ask is that I'm working on a minor revamp of the /r/Doom subreddit, and I'd like to use these rules as a base. With some changes due to the site format/capabilities and my own needs of course, but a large chunk of stuff may end up copy-pasted verbatim on the subreddit Wiki page or sidebar.

I'd like to provide credit and a link back here to the source. Just wanted to know if that's okay and if there's anything else I should take into consideration.

8-)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I'd like to formally declare the rules Creative Commons Zero. No need for credits or share alike.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Awesome, thank you for the clarification :)

8-)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Would like to bring this to attention again: Please use image thumbnails! Spoilers DO NOT stop images from loading! Large images get cropped badly by the forum layout! I've had to edit a lot of posts lately to fix this stuff and it's all covered in the rules with a handy guide and everything so please spare me the extra minutes of work it takes.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Super-seconded. Large images in spoiler tags inevitably get cut off in my browser window, making it impossible to view the entire image without right-clicking and selecting "Open Image in New Tab," at which point it would've been better off as a hyperlink. :P

As a note for Imgur users: auto-generated thumbnails still exist, even though links for them annoyingly no longer appear on the post-upload page any more. You can still reference 'em by plugging in a single-letter suffix to the image URL (in this case, a 't'):

Code: Select all

[url=http://i.imgur.com/kwerV0Y.png][img]http://i.imgur.com/kwerV0Yt.png[/img][/url]

The list of available thumbnail sizes is here, for reference.

*throws Spock*
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

Nice to see an organized list of rules! I have suggestions and a question about them as well as my opinion. If you have a MIDI version or demake of a copyrighted song and include it somewhere in your mod, would that still be considered breaking the mandatory community rule which is:
wildweasel wrote:
  • Any other copyrighted media to which you do not own distribution rights.
As long as the original song name, and the person behind the creation of the demake is properly given credit? Perhaps will it depend on more complicated factors/conditions or be a straight-out no?
(I might have to shut down my project post's download for now if it's the latter)

And here's my two suggestions:
  • NeuralStunner should be recognized as a forum administrator because his name is green, heh.
  • I'd recommend https://i.sli.mg/ as a viable alternative to Imgur. Some people frown upon Imgur as it's been accused of censorship this year, lately.
Anyways, this honestly is one of the text-only posts I keep coming back here to on the forums. It's just so addicting to read. The first time I read it, it was inconceivable to me after all those years that Kevin Cloud's injured knee was one of the textures snapped for Doom right when I was getting bored. Mind-blowing trivia! That's a secret formula to keep people reading right there!
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

MIDI versions of commercial songs are okay, because they are not the original song. Credit to whoever sequenced the MIDI is a good thing to have as well.

I'll have to update the staff list (Hellser is a mod now, too), and I'll look into your host link. Thank you for the suggestions though!

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”