CustomDoom v1.8.2 FINAL

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Do you find the mod useful?

Hell yeah! I'm using it all the time!
45%
Yes. It is helpful for the most part.
42%
Meh. It's ok, but not that big of a deal.
6%
No. There are some things I don't like.
No votes
Hell no! I'd rather go to prison than use it!
No votes
I am not using this mod.
6%
Other. (Specify)
No votes

Total votes: 62

Accensus

CustomDoom v1.8.2 FINAL

Post by Accensus »

Lud presenting...

Now with more custom logo.

Mentioned in 2016 Cacowards under Neat Stuff Safari!

MOD IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED!
Find the new mod here.

What this mod does:
It's basically a "make your own difficulty" kind of mod which lets you modify the following:
- Damage done!
- Damage taken!
- Movement speed!
- Health, armor, ammo regeneration!
- Jump height!
- Air control!
- Max health!
- Starting health!
- Friction!
- Permanent power-ups!
- Health and armor degeneration!
- Randomization!
- Monster manipulation! (Limited options)

The mod runs perfectly on (G)ZDoom! It may not, however, work fully Zandronum at this point. If you notice any issues with Zandro, post them please.
NOTE: For more information regarding CustomDoom on Zandronum, see the corresponding page.

No more editing MAPINFO or starting a new game when you find that UV is suddenly too easy!
Use a configuration menu to change the difficulty in real-time!

How to access the menu:
- Bind the configuration menu key in the controls OR use the default keybind <o>.
Changelog wrote:If it does not work, check if something else is bound to that key. If it is, unbind and restart.
Spoiler: Changelog
Download: CustomDoom v1.8.2
Spoiler: Videos
Spoiler: F.A.Q. & Extra
Spoiler: Credits
Spoiler: License
Last edited by Hellser on Sun May 12, 2019 9:41 am, edited 147 times in total.
Reason: Linked to new mod.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [Release] CustomDoom v1.0

Post by wildweasel »

Excellent, I'm going to probably throw this into my regular load order.

[edit] The Player Speed option in the menu is described as "Changes damage taken by the player." Huh?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Yeah, I was just thinking about it. Gonna fix it in a minute. Sorry 'bout that. :)

Edit: Done aaaaand Done. I got out of bed for that one. Can't sleep knowing something ain't right. :D
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Excellent, thanks for that, and sorry to have robbed you of your sleep hours. =P
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

You can actually create a default bound key for this using KEYCONF. Of course, displaying its binding in MENUDEF is another thing entirely, but you can't win 'em all. Worst case scenario, you'd be doing "bind x menu_custom" in the console manually.
Henix_Aurorus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

Alright, this is a pretty rad mod. Being able to freely customize your difficulty is pretty handy- especially for multiplayer where you can set it to lower your damage so Co-op isn't a cakewalk. (That said, I'd recommend using sliders so you can customize things a bit more freely, if practical.)

That said, as with any mod of this kind, the very first thing I did was the obvious thing, which was test it at max settings (everything as high as I could get it). And then test it at max settings with the new LegenDoom update.

It's actually quite interesting to see how powerful the Chaingun gets at 3x damage, or at 5x damage in the case of Chaingunners. Also, causing infighting is an even more viable tactic than before, so there's that too.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Glad you like it! :)

I'm currently working on a health regeneration option with custom regen amount and frequency. The regeneration itself is also toggle-able from the menu.

As for the sliders, I thought about it and I initially made it with sliders, but it doesn't seem to give as much information as I thought it would, so I'd rather stick to the string values.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the infighting. The mod changes the player's DamageFactor rather than the damage the monsters do, so basically You take more damage while everything else remains the same as before. Same for the weapon damage. It changes only the player rather than the monsters, which would most likely require either tons of coding, or editing DECORATE which kills all future compatibility without patches.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

just curious but will it work in the other direction too? if a wad is too hard soften it a bit?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Yeah. The softening options aren't many, but you can halve the damage taken and double the damage done. That should work as "softnening".
Henix_Aurorus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

Lud wrote:Glad you like it! :)

I'm currently working on a health regeneration option with custom regen amount and frequency. The regeneration itself is also toggle-able from the menu.

As for the sliders, I thought about it and I initially made it with sliders, but it doesn't seem to give as much information as I thought it would, so I'd rather stick to the string values.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the infighting. The mod changes the player's DamageFactor rather than the damage the monsters do, so basically You take more damage while everything else remains the same as before. Same for the weapon damage. It changes only the player rather than the monsters, which would most likely require either tons of coding, or editing DECORATE which kills all future compatibility without patches.
Having them fight amongst themselves is still more ideal than having them attack you. Especially when they do 5x damage to you.

That said, if you just use percentages, sliders should easily give just as much information. I mean, pretty much everyone understands 100% is normal, 200% is doubled, etc. LegenDoom does it for Legendary monster health and damage, and it works just fine, so I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

(also, health regeneration sounds awesome)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Ain't it easier to write x5 instead of 500%? ;)
The calculation formula is the same, though.

Sliders give but also take. I can make 50%, 100%, 150%, 200%, etc, but I can't make 50%, 100%, 200%, 500%, and so on. You get the point. It gives precision only between minimum value and maximum value. That's not really what I aim to accomplish. Plus I can give better info with string values.

EDIT: I've reconsidered and will add sliders to the regeneration options. Difficulty options will remain the same, for now. I don't promise anything about those.

I have also added a toggleable and custom ammo regeneration option. It basically adds a backpack every n seconds. More complex options will break compatiblity.
Accensus

Re: [Update] CustomDoom v1.1

Post by Accensus »

Extra! Extra! Version 1.1 is out! Check changelog for changelog.
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

wildweasel wrote:Excellent, I'm going to probably throw this into my regular load order.
Are you planning on doing something with how much (less) damage the player can deal? This is a really useful mod!
Accensus

Re: [Update] CustomDoom v1.1.1

Post by Accensus »

Yep. I updated to v1.1.1 which expands upon the softnening options. It should give players even more customisation freedom. Check out the changelog.
Accensus

Re: [Update] CustomDoom v1.1.1

Post by Accensus »

I am currently out of ideas so I am putting the mod on hold until I get a brainstorm. There won't be a version flood anytime soon so feel free to try out v1.1.1 for longer than 24 hours, lol.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”