[WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.4 Released! [HITBOXES ARE FIXED]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Carbine Dioxide

Re: [WIP] The Trooper (progress update)

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I'm pleased to see it getting a playable release. I look forward to blasting demons with that big ass pea shooter and that double barreled mess. :)
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:I'm pleased to see it getting a playable release. I look forward to blasting demons with that big ass pea shooter and that double barreled mess. :)
I second this. The weapons look truly gorgeous, and tons of fun to use ;) Can't wait to play this
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:I'm pleased to see it getting a playable release. I look forward to blasting demons with that big ass pea shooter and that double barreled mess. :)
Speaking of, the double-barreled mess is almost done - just need to dig up some shells for the ammo pickups.

Oh, and this weapon, fittingly, replaces the Super Shotgun. What replaces the regular shotgun? More ammo for the Super Shotgun!

At any rate, I'm going to clean up some pixels off of the Pulsar, finish defining some animations, maybe replace the sounds for the DGA-3 (they're just stand-ins, and they sound rather dreadful)...and it should be ready to post in about an hour, as of 10:38 PM, 31 March 2016. Trying to make good on my deadline, since I want to avoid an April Fool's release.
Carbine Dioxide

I dont know if I like the sound of the M97 replacing the super shotgun and having a butt load of shells replace the regular shotgun. That would make it impossible to play on The Ultimate Doom, but oh well. Can't wait to see this thing work.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x Released!

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:I dont know if I like the sound of the M97 replacing the super shotgun and having a butt load of shells replace the regular shotgun. That would make it impossible to play on The Ultimate Doom, but oh well. Can't wait to see this thing work.
Shit, you're right. I just uploaded it, too - the tequila just finished wearing off.

Anyway, regular shotguns have a one-in-sixteen chance of spawning an M97, to make it obtainable in Ultimate Doom, but this weapon is almost RO-grade fuckall powerful, so I don't want it to be a straight replacement. Go nuts at the end of this link. It's nowhere near finished, but it's closer to completion relative to my other projects. At some point, I do hope to post a gameplay video featuring the mod's namesake track.

Now, if only I knew how to update the title image above the menu...
Carbine Dioxide

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x Released! [31 March 2016]

Analysis incoming.

I find myself using the Sakova and M97 a lot. I get a bunch of ammo for both of them. I expected the M97 to shoot a lot faster, but this is the kind of recoil I expected, and I still manage to shoot accurately with it. The Sakova in this in my opinion has less recoil and is more accurate than it's Helsturm counterpart. The plasma rifle replacement is kind of weak compared to the rest of the guns. The starter revolver's recoil frames look odd in terms of contrast; It's much greater than the idle frame. Could you also remove the vanilla weapons from the selection? The rocket launcher in between the Sakova and the Pulsar D is really bugging me, since your weapons have a much faster switch than the vanilla weapons.

Other than that, this mod is amazing!
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:Analysis incoming.

I find myself using the Sakova and M97 a lot. I get a bunch of ammo for both of them. I expected the M97 to shoot a lot faster, but this is the kind of recoil I expected, and I still manage to shoot accurately with it. The Sakova in this in my opinion has less recoil and is more accurate than it's Helsturm counterpart. The plasma rifle replacement is kind of weak compared to the rest of the guns. The starter revolver's recoil frames look odd in terms of contrast; It's much greater than the idle frame. Could you also remove the vanilla weapons from the selection? The rocket launcher in between the Sakova and the Pulsar D is really bugging me, since your weapons have a much faster switch than the vanilla weapons.

Other than that, this mod is amazing!
I was unaware that the vanilla RL was sandwiched between the Sokova and the Pulsar, of all things - I've removed the vanilla guns from the selection, and tweaked a few things:

*The M97 now shoots two tics faster. This doesn't sound like much, but it makes a huge difference. To compensate, it does slightly less damage and has a slightly wider spread.
*Moon clips are now guaranteed to have six bullets in them.
*The Sokova 46 now has less accuracy and more recoil (the stats were formerly identical to Helsturm's, but only when hip-fired).
*Upped the damage on the DGA-3 slightly. It's best used in groups of enemies owing to the weapon's minor ripper effect.

I'll draw new frames for the Surfeit Torment's recoil animation soon, since the contrast does bug the hell out of me, too. I'm also thinking of replacing the BFG with, well, this.
Carbine Dioxide

Sorry, in my analysis I accidentily confused the Pulsar D with the Fusion, the Pulsar actually is great. When I use it, it gibs things.

X Weapon enemies are difficult to overcome without an M97 or enough Sakova 46 ammo.

Is the update for no vanilla weapons out yet?

Is there a melee you can add so I don't need to save a bullet for myself? :p
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:Sorry, in my analysis I accidentily confused the Pulsar D with the Fusion, the Pulsar actually is great. When I use it, it gibs things.

X Weapon enemies are difficult to overcome without an M97 or enough Sakova 46 ammo.

Is the update for no vanilla weapons out yet?

Is there a melee you can add so I don't need to save a bullet for myself? :p
Right now, there is no melee - I have a set of sprites for one (a knife strike), but haven't done anything with them yet. I've added the VSK7 Nightshade shotgun as a new replacement for the standard shotty. It's far more accurate and controllable than the M97, but does slightly less damage per pellet. In lieu of a proper BFG replacement (still working on it), I've added something special for the Surfeit Torment (technically a different version of it, but it's more along the lines of what you expect an explosive revolver to do).
Seidolon

Re: Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x1 Released! [2 April 2016]

Post by Seidolon »

Hey, I like this weapon mod a lot so far. One thing I noticed was the pickup sprite for the Lost Guardian doesn't look to good. I tried making an edit of it, and I guess it looks a little more decent-ish.
Spoiler:
Carbine Dioxide

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x1 Released! [2 April 2016]

Another analysis.

You got me hooked on everything in this mod! I went from using the VK7 to using the M97 to using the new Torment. I think the Torment has too much bullets to be getting a BFG upgrade, maybe you can move this to the Beserk slot so that your starter weapon isn't so powerful unless you've picked those up in a level. At least until you get a melee out there. I now use the VK7 a lot because I don't want to waste two shells of the M97 on a puny Imp. One thing I think is lacking is balance in weapons, while I don't think it's of importance in a weapon mod, you can probably put some special gun modes in to spice things up. One idea I had in mind for the M97 was something like Gun Caster's Strucker Stratocaster. Also, is there gonna be a fast firing plasma gun replacement in this mod? While you've beefed up the Fusion, it's still a little hard to use with it's charge up bursts. The VK7's look reminds me of the Sturmman auto shotty in POU.

Also, how would I obtain the Pulsar D in game? It seems to be functional, but I don't see a pickup lying around.

That's also a very nice gun you have there Seidolon.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Seidolon wrote:Hey, I like this weapon mod a lot so far. One thing I noticed was the pickup sprite for the Lost Guardian doesn't look to good. I tried making an edit of it, and I guess it looks a little more decent-ish.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I kind of half-assed that one when I got back to work on The Trooper, and forgot to get back to it after I got the ball rolling again. I'm definitely replacing the DGA-3's pickup with this one!
Carbine Dioxide wrote:Another analysis.

You got me hooked on everything in this mod! I went from using the VK7 to using the M97 to using the new Torment. I think the Torment has too much bullets to be getting a BFG upgrade, maybe you can move this to the Beserk slot so that your starter weapon isn't so powerful unless you've picked those up in a level. At least until you get a melee out there. I now use the VK7 a lot because I don't want to waste two shells of the M97 on a puny Imp. One thing I think is lacking is balance in weapons, while I don't think it's of importance in a weapon mod, you can probably put some special gun modes in to spice things up. One idea I had in mind for the M97 was something like Gun Caster's Strucker Stratocaster. Also, is there gonna be a fast firing plasma gun replacement in this mod? While you've beefed up the Fusion, it's still a little hard to use with it's charge up bursts. The VK7's look reminds me of the Sturmman auto shotty in POU.

Also, how would I obtain the Pulsar D in game? It seems to be functional, but I don't see a pickup lying around.
The Pulsar-D has a one-in-thirty-two chance to spawn in the place of any Sokova 46, and uses the Kaiserli XM39C as it's pickup sprite.

About firing modes: I may do something about the Surfeit Torment being OP after finding a BFG spawn, but I never really liked how useless the vanilla pistol and its various analogues eventually become after finding more powerful weapons, and I felt by basically turning the starting gun into a mini-RL after one would logically find a BFG would more than compensate (playing DooD, I hadn't realized just how underwhelming the BFG became until today - when I do add a BFG-equivalent, expect some sort of nerf to the Surfeit Torment SR). Apart from that, I don't want to go too nuts with special gun modes, else I get into the habit of having a half-filled arsenal with a bunch of shiny features, mechanics, and modes (read: Helsturm) - keeping it simple, barring the Torment SR, is what I'm going for. That said, I will almost certainly have some sort of fast-firing plasma rifle-like weapon (maybe even a plasma rifle). I've knocked the Torment's ammo down from 120/240 to 90/120 for slight balance.

I've considered having a one-two firing mode for the M97, but it seems like something that would kick the gun a good bit horizontally as well as vertically. At least lore-wise, it's definitely possible. I may do the thing with the slugs, I'm not quite sure yet.

I've also noticed that, while the VSK7 and M97 are, on average, more powerful than their vanilla counterparts, there's little difference in the amount of shots/ammo it takes to kill heavier enemies, so the real advantage is, for the most part, firing speed. The Sokova 46 falls into disuse frequently, being objectively the weakest weapon of the bunch, so I may buff it some.
Carbine Dioxide

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.x1 Released! [2 April 2016]

It is most definitely the weakest, but even with the accuracy changes, I still manage to easily pick off enemies from afar with the 46. And it does pretty well against slightly bigger enemies compared to the vanilla chain gun for sure.

I do agree with the starter weapon being useless after finding a new weapon, but that's the case when I found the new Torment, I kind of just abandoned the VSK7 afterwards.

A better analysis on the Pulsar D, I just found it as a pickup. I didn't know that it uses different ammo than the Sakova, and when running out of ammo, the Pulsar D plays it's firing animation. It looks a little odd, since I'm not spitting any lead. It's more accurate and does more damage (I think) than the Sakova.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

I always look forward to whatever you make. Whether it's sprites, or sounds, or even X-Weapon, I always look forward.

Hopefully, you will do a full weapon replacement.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

I'm working on replacing the BFG with this:

ImageImage

Mostly because I don't want the VSK7 suddenly becoming useless once you get a Torment SR, but also because look at that fucking monstrosity. The grip on the pickup sprite does look a bit big - it makes the gun look smaller than it really is...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”