Pistol animation is broken

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Gez

Re: Pistol animation is broken

Post by Gez »

I'd like to see an explanation of the bug, because from a cursory glance at the vanilla P_SetPsprite() I don't see anything that would shorten flash states specifically.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

I addressed the same issue some years ago: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33036
But I couldn't test my suggested changes because I never managed to compile the source code (due to me missing essential files that I couldn't find), so I just gave up.
Still, I hope this sheds some light on the issue.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Oh, no. Please don't tell me that some external patch got applied that made an uninformed and unconditional change to established behavior. Stuff like this needs to be toggleable.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

And here we got the corresponding bug report:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31689

The fix apparently went too far and should have left the original weapon functions alone.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Huh, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the thing that broke Parkour's dual wielding a while back. I reuploaded the mod with a fix afterward; I wonder if I"ll need to re-reupload it. :P

Normally I'd vote for such a fix to be opt-in via flag, but I'll bet there's a bunch of stuff floating around (e.g. above) that relies on the new behavior now. :/
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I hope this is fixed now. For the attack functions that also set the flash I especially disabled the check causing the problem, but I left A_GunFlash alone - even though I wouldn't mind removing this ill-informed bit of code - which should have opt-in and not unconditional. It just escapes me how this got added without ever checking what it implied.
StrikerMan780
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StrikerMan780 »

Wait what, so you reverted the fix to flashes being processed in 2 tics? If so, shit... (I had adapted a lot of my mods to it, being able to define 1-tic flashes is extremely useful.)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. Only for the standard weapons, because those were all made for the duplicated frame.
StrikerMan780
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StrikerMan780 »

Graf Zahl wrote:No. Only for the standard weapons, because those were all made for the duplicated frame.
Ah, alright, thanks for clarification.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”