Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
User avatar
Redfox123
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:08 am
Location: out side your window

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by Redfox123 »

sonic robo blast 2 final boss uses the doom explosion sound
User avatar
BFG
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:54 am
Location: Germany

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by BFG »

most of Doom sounds were just stock sounds right? I saw an episode of Rugrats where a robot Angelica's head exploded and it played the Doom's door opening & close sound, there's also a movie called Zathura where all the aliens sounds like Doom imps, speaking of Doom imps, the Doom imp death sound is a camel sound, just watch the movie Curse of the Mummy and you'll see.
User avatar
Oberron
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:20 am
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by Oberron »

BFG wrote:most of Doom sounds were just stock sounds right? I saw an episode of Rugrats where a robot Angelica's head exploded and it played the Doom's door opening & close sound, there's also a movie called Zathura where all the aliens sounds like Doom imps, speaking of Doom imps, the Doom imp death sound is a camel sound, just watch the movie Curse of the Mummy and you'll see.
You never seem to know what did I mention a day ago?
User avatar
BFG
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:54 am
Location: Germany

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by BFG »

Oberron wrote:Yeh, it was crap though, but moving on. Were the sounds from the Playstation version of Doom used in other media?
The demon's ambient sound is probably one of the most over-used stock monster sound. And the player death scream is probably the most over-used human scream sound effect.
User avatar
Oberron
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:20 am
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by Oberron »

The player death scream in the same port is in the NES game American Gladiators when a opponent falls to his death in Joust.
User avatar
leileilol
Posts: 4445
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 10:16 am
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Location: GNU/Hell

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by leileilol »

a darkforces/jedi knight concussion rifle firing sound caught me off guard in one recent toy commercial i forgot of. Infact that's the first time i've EVER heard that sound outside those two games and i'm convinced it was actually lifted from the game itself in this case.
User avatar
BFG
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:54 am
Location: Germany

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by BFG »

Doom's Hell-Knight scream was used in the video game Shadow Warrior for the baby ripper monsters, it was also used in the movie Hatchet II when the main villain is injured.

Also if you watch the scene in Jurassic Park where the T-Rex first escapes and attacks the people in the cars, you'll hear nearly every single Duke Nukem 3D boss SFX. Which were all recorded by the sound guy on JP of his dog playing with a chew toy, so I guess either that guy worked on Duke too or they made it into the famous Universal stock SFX library that companies purchase from.
User avatar
Oberron
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:20 am
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by Oberron »

BFG wrote:Doom's Hell-Knight scream was used in the video game Shadow Warrior for the baby ripper monsters, it was also used in the movie Hatchet II when the main villain is injured.

Also if you watch the scene in Jurassic Park where the T-Rex first escapes and attacks the people in the cars, you'll hear nearly every single Duke Nukem 3D boss SFX. Which were all recorded by the sound guy on JP of his dog playing with a chew toy, so I guess either that guy worked on Duke too or they made it into the famous Universal stock SFX library that companies purchase from.
The Hell-Knight death sound is mixed together with the xenomorph like noise in Abuse, since both Doom and this were by the same sound designer.
User avatar
Reactor
Posts: 2091
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:39 pm
Location: Island's Beauty, Hungary

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by Reactor »

One of the South Park episodes uses the Doom "airlock opening" sound effect, though I have no idea now which one it was.
In Hercules featuring Kevin Sorbo, there was an episode, where a sorceress named Rumina mutated her boyfriends into various monstrous creatures using magic. When Hercules was pursued by one of these mutants, it made exactly the same sound effects as Doom human enemies are making when alerted (Zombieman, Shotgun guy, Heavy Chaingun dude).
Also, this might be amusing, but in the 1986 version of Rock me Amadeus by Falco, the footstep sound of a Strogg Tank/Tank Commander can be heard once. It is very faint, but recognizable. The same sound effect appears in the new version of the song exactly at the same spot.
User avatar
BFG
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:54 am
Location: Germany

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by BFG »

Not sure if anyone mentioned before, but the Ogre from Quake sounds identical to a Duke 3D Pigcop.

The movie Project MetalBeast uses Doom rocket explosion sounds
User avatar
leileilol
Posts: 4445
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 10:16 am
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Location: GNU/Hell

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by leileilol »

apparently this is what i overheard

bonus goldeneye64 groan at the end!!!
User avatar
Oberron
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:20 am
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by Oberron »

leileilol wrote:apparently this is what i overheard

bonus goldeneye64 groan at the end!!!
Goldeneye's guard hit sounds are by the developers of Rare according to the old webpage. Not stock sound effects.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21615
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by wildweasel »

There are a few stock sounds in the mix, though; I know I've definitely heard "Goldeneye" grunts in sports games and TV commercials that predate it.
User avatar
Oberron
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:20 am
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by Oberron »

wildweasel wrote:There are a few stock sounds in the mix, though; I know I've definitely heard "Goldeneye" grunts in sports games and TV commercials that predate it.
The Austrailian Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat advert (Megadrive), Microsoft Soccer (PC game by Lobotomy Software and.. you guessed it! Microsoft). That's all I could guess of.
User avatar
BFG
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:54 am
Location: Germany

Re: Have you heard Doom/Quake sound FX in other media?

Post by BFG »

wildweasel wrote:There are a few stock sounds in the mix, though; I know I've definitely heard "Goldeneye" grunts in sports games and TV commercials that predate it.
almost all of the screams from Goldeneye were used in a PSX game called Courier Crisis

Return to “Off-Topic”