DUMP Episode 1: Fuck Time Limits

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TerminusEst13

DUMP Episode 1: Fuck Time Limits

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Mapping is hard.

A lot of us have been wanting to map for a while, but can't really get over that initial hump. There's only one way to improve, but oh man is it painful to just grind, grind, grind until you get a clue and figure out what to do. We get awesome ideas! Oh, man, this would be so cool! Then we jump in and...stare at the grid for hours.

For 2016, I really want to better my mapping abilities and put out some good stuff. Two friends, Mystical and Gardevoir, said that a good experiment might be to try speedmapping. Just get the shit out of the mind and into the editor, stream-of-consciousness work. 4-6 hours, Zandro compatibility, vanilla monsters/weapons.
Then a friend decided to jump on board. Then another friend. Then another friend. Then we had a whole bunch of people making maps, vet and newbie alike, all pushing against a 4-6 hour deadline to make some ZDoom maps to jump up and down on. Then we compiled them into a single pack and gave 'em one more run through for polish and decoration.

Obviously, we finished. We now present to you, a small hub leading to a handful of different maps. Beat each map to unlock the exit, and exit to win.
Gameplay mods should be supported. Pistol start is enforced, though, so something like DoomRLA or Hideous Destructor will likely piss you off. Monsters are vanilla, except for the secret/final map, which comes to a grand total of two new enemies.

The primary purpose of this project is to have a way for all of the newbies to try and push over that initial hump together, to MAKE something. It's a way for the vets to lead on some new mappers, welcome them into something they wouldn't normally try.
Please enjoy, a lot of people really fought tooth and nail in order to hurdle over the hump and make it in. Also please feel free to point out any issues, troubles, errors, imbalances, and etc about the maps. Don't feel the need to sugarcoat, give it to us straight--none of us are pro-tier mappers. We can't improve if we don't know what's wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gkomcyrmz7k8 ... 1.pk3?dl=1 - Download here. (14.2 megabytes)
Spoiler: CREDITS
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: DUMP Episode 1: Fuck Time Limits

Post by NeuralStunner »

Looks classy! Going to give it a try.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Oh shit, an actual Zdoom mappack for once?
Tygaar

Post by Tygaar »

It was a fun map set. I played through it all in one sitting.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Can confirm actually mostly playable in Hideous Destructor. Great work, guys.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

I did a thing.
Warning: some harsh language, probably cringeworthy moments, comical cheats and of course spoilers!
Please excuse my nonsensical blabbering :P

I originally intended to stop and admire each level in a proper way but I totally forgot to do it. Also doesn't help that I streamed this on twitch so I felt like I had to keep it fast paced.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Boy term, you sure have come far since, well, this thing:
Spoiler:
Thanks for letting me be a part of this awesome little community project! I hope we can do this again soon!
submerge

Post by submerge »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Boy term, you sure have come far since, well, this thing:
Spoiler:
Thanks for letting me be a part of this awesome little community project! I hope we can do this again soon!
I enjoyed playing my part too.
-Nyss
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

I REALLY love this map pack. I played it with Faspons and it's always great to see what some peo-

"Hope you like using the chainsaw" -Nyss

I created this hell that I am now wondering in.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

Omg that intro video hits so close to home I can't even begin to tell you how close to home that video hits with me.

But seriously its true how when you start mapping you have a really cool idea then it doesn't translate well or you spend hours brainstorming ideas that you end up scrapping later on. Most days ill end up finishing a room then getting distracted and not doing anymore until the next day.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Thread contains too much 'initial hump.'

Anyway, this idea hits close to home, as I wanted to start making maps myself, similar in style and size to Scythe as I am still new to map making. I'll be sure to give this map pack a try, once time permits. It looks like it will be fun!
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

So, after playing through the whole map pack, it was quite good for what it was. Gave me a few laughs as well with the flavour text that appears. For some general things:

Bloody Castle:
  • The Cyberdemon in front of the yellow switch was a bit confusing at first. You think he is active but he really isn't but since he is blocking the switch behind him, I thought something stopped functioning properly.
  • Most of the monster encounters are after the initial front to get the yellow key and near the Cyberdemon, once I got to the red key, I thought there would be another encounter once I grabbed the key. That is just a preference more than a critique because I can map a square with 3 sides.
  • I like the pier. What a lovely pier.
Doomguy Gets Violent Again:
  • There is an encounter after the half circle where a room full of enemies just spawn out of nowhere. Think they either should have either been in the room already or teleported in. Looked way too sudden and out of place.
  • I love the neon look. Should do something more with it!
Imp Springs:
  • When standing on the red switch and the wall opening, it looked a bit odd with the textures being used. Maybe a gate or something with a different texture to stand out?
  • We can be HDoom friends
That's all I got for right now. Good job to everyone involved and I would love to see more packs like this!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I like this! Short, fun and creative in aesthetic.

Are you required to jump for some of these?
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Vaecrius wrote:I like this! Short, fun and creative in aesthetic.

Are you required to jump for some of these?
Yeah, you are.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Yup, these maps were all made with ZDoom in mind and so jumping is perfectly fine for all of them.

Well, almost all of the maps.
Poor Jimmy had to be reminded that this was a ZDoom mapping compilation and so had to adjust his map to make sure jumping wouldn't break it.

Thanks very much for the input, all!

Return to “Levels”