[17-03-17] ZERO TOLERANCE UPGRADE

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should certain weapons be re-balanced?

No, leave the weapons as-is
9%
Yes, certain weapons should be rebalanced
28%
Yes, but make the rebalance controlled by CVAR
63%

Total votes: 68

Mikk-

[17-03-17] ZERO TOLERANCE UPGRADE

Post by Mikk- »

I'll start off with saying that Zero Tolerance is my all-time favourite weapons mod. Initially released in 2008, this mod absolutely blew me away. The unique weapons, interesting up-beat soundtrack and new additions & changes to the original DOOM forumla grabbed me instantly.

This mod aims to bring Zero Tolerance into the current year, with cutting edge ZDoom features, bug fixes and more!
Spoiler: Features & Fixes
Spoiler: Changes since previous version
Spoiler: Screenshots
Latest version!
Download: zp-zerot-upgrade-17-03.pk3

It is recommended to use the latest devbuild devbuild
Last edited by Mikk- on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Redead-ITA

Re: [WIP] ZERO TOLERANCE 2016

Post by Redead-ITA »

maybe is just my opinion but i think we need to wait before making a pool on a mod that is not yet playable and is about rebalancing
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

The poll is about changing the balance compared to the original mod, which this is based on.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Yeah, exactly. I mean re-balancing of the original weapons. Most notably, the Xan Rifle, which is the plasma rifle's replacement. It's not very strong and has a small magazine, but high ROF.
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

do whatever you see fit, as long as it remains fun to play.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This used to be one of my "gold standard" gun mods; it'd be awesome to see it again with the more esoteric bits of code tightened up. Especially that cool custom HUD.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I hope my tweaks and updates don't disappoint you, weasel!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I have to be on weasel's side with this one, this used to be my gold standard at one point - and still is (outside of Immoral Conduct). I have trust in you, Mikk-.

Don't fuck up.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Kudos for undertaking such a great task! 'Zero Tolerance' has been one of my reference mods too, so much that I've made a small patch for it ('rslzerox.zip' on IDGames - can't check for the link right now since it's blocked here). Provided that you view its implementation as appropriate, you might want to incorporate my own 'black hole effect' for 'Zero & Infinity' into your upcoming version... :wink:
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

rsl wrote:Provided that you view its implementation as appropriate, you might want to incorporate my own 'black hole effect' for 'Zero & Infinity' into your upcoming version... :wink:
I've played your fixed version before, I find your take on the black-hole effect quite interesting. However, I feel that what I have done to be somewhat more visceral.

Also I've started work on implementing dynamic lights, just to bring this mod a little closer to this decade ;) brightmaps will follow shortly after!
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Update: dynamic lights are (mostly) in!
there's one or two weapons left to do, in regards to lights but they won't take too long!
TypeSaucy

Post by TypeSaucy »

I dig this. A lot.
Would you consider adding new altfires to the weapons now that you're moving the reloads to the reload key?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Not really sure to be truthful. I hadn't even given it an ounce of thought. I'll get this out of the door first, before I make any drastic addtions such as that.

Speaking of which, there's just a little polishing here and there to be done! The HUD now works at 4:3, 16:9 & 16:10 resolutions!

EDIT: I've added another small feature, the Minimal HUD - like the regular hud, just with only the essentials!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Goddamn, the years in the OP made my head spin. ZT is eight-ish years old now. o_O

If there's anything that needs rebalancing, it's those damned hitscanners -- they kick my ass to hard every time I try and put the nostalgia goggles on. Though probably a bit of weapon tweaking is in order, especially since there's a ton of useful features now that didn't exist back then (SBARINFO, anyone?)

Also yay, Infinity is a proper black hole gun now. :D
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Xaser wrote:Goddamn, the years in the OP made my head spin. ZT is eight-ish years old now. o_O
Here's the thing, on the CREDITS pic during the title screen it says "Zero Prophet - 2006". I'm assuming that's either a typo or when the development of the mod began. Not sure. But if that's the case that puts ZT at 10 years old.
Xaser wrote: If there's anything that needs rebalancing, it's those damned hitscanners -- they kick my ass to hard every time I try and put the nostalgia goggles on.
Yeah, especially the pistol zombies, they can make even MAP01 of DOOM II a pain. Then there's the combat snipers, they certainly sting a little. I'll probably tweak the enemy accuracy values a bit to make them fair for their rank.
Those will be CVAR controlled too, if I make any changes. I want to make anything I change controllable via CVAR, so if someone wants; they can have an authentic experience, or a revised more balanced experience.

Xaser wrote: Though probably a bit of weapon tweaking is in order, especially since there's a ton of useful features now that didn't exist back then (SBARINFO, anyone?)
What would you suggest? Especially in regards to SBARINFO.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”