[Music] Jimmy's Jukebox -- Seeking dev assistance re:ZScript

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Viscra Maelstrom

Re: [Music] Jimmy's Jukebox -- Instant Randomizer for v9!

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

while this thread got bumped already, i feel i want to bring attention to some of the Evilution MIDIs in this pack. namely the fact that some of them have their drumkits shifted in a bit too early in the song. namely, Cold Subtleness and Horizon i think has this issue. listen to the songs in this pack, and compare it to the songs in the IWAD and you'll see what i mean.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:while this thread got bumped already, i feel i want to bring attention to some of the Evilution MIDIs in this pack. namely the fact that some of them have their drumkits shifted in a bit too early in the song. namely, Cold Subtleness and Horizon i think has this issue. listen to the songs in this pack, and compare it to the songs in the IWAD and you'll see what i mean.
Most Icarus songs have this problem.
Viscra Maelstrom

my guess is that, if they were converted from MUS to MIDI, something happened during the conversion problem that screwed that up. i've also experienced songs being shifted 20 BPM up when using the same conversion process
Gez

Post by Gez »

For Horizon we can get the original MIDI and S3M from Mustaine's site, so if it's different in the IWAD, it's the IWAD that's wrong.
Viscra Maelstrom

huh. that's identical to what's in this mod. it feels odd to hear it that way, but i guess if it is like that, then that is right.
Viscra Maelstrom

okay, so i got a really good selection of tracks for a PWAD, so i went ahead and saved the tracklist to a log file. how do i use this again if i'd want to? i'd like to go back and edit it some, notably to have some tracks in the playlist be blank, so it plays the default track instead, but i can't find any information on how to do this; the OP says it's possible to do this, but i can't find any explanation on how to do that.

also, some of the TNT tracks has to have errors in them. i'm sorry, but i can't really believe that this is how they're supposed to sound like. Death's Bells is particularly notable, as it does not have the bells instrument in it anymore, nor the plucked bass. both FMOD and Microsoft Synth plays back these errors, so it must be something wrong with the MIDI itself.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Re: loading the playlist back, do "exec playlist.pl" in the console. Did I just forget to document this step anywhere? Probably did, sorry. :|

And I'm highly surprised I didn't spot any errors before. Give me time and I'll check them out and see what I can do (if I experience them myself, can't remember having done so before...). I'm almost positive I took the MUS files out of the IWAD, though, so there weren't any conversion errors on my part. The TNT MIDIs have been notorious for screwing up for a lot of people though.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Can you add Digitalized Music? Sequenced music is alright, but I prefer digitalized instead, like wave format files.
Viscra Maelstrom

@Jimmy, i'm fairly sure you did forget that part. there were instructions on how to export a playlist, but not import one. at any rate, now i should be able to update my CC2 playlist whenever i feel like playing it again.
Oberron wrote:Can you add Digitalized Music? Sequenced music is alright, but I prefer digitalized instead, like wave format files.
the problem with streamed audio is file-space. if there were an MP3 for every MIDI track in this pack, it'd probably make the mod over a gigabyte to download. that being said, there's the user version you can download and customize yourself if you want to.

edit: okay, so i can load the playlist in without problems, but it doesn't give me a playlist i can view, and i'm unsure how to edit it this way. what can i do about that?
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Yes, but the MP3's would be in mono 22khz rather than the usual stereo 44khz. It would decrease the file size.
Viscra Maelstrom

i'm not sure why you'd want to turn stereo files into mono for the purposes of decreasing file-size. if anything you'd want to decrease the bitrate, as that doesn't have the most massive impact on audio quality and you can fit rather a lot of files under that. i've never bothered decreasing the sample-rate, since 41/44khz is a good standard to keep yourself to.

despite that, though, 843 MP3/OGG/whatever files would still take up a lot of space, especially considering a lot of tracks from 42, Mark Klem, David Shaw and Jimmy himself are really lengthy tracks and would take up a lot of space as streamed audio.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The jukebox is fine as a MIDI repository and should remain MIDI. I could see it being extended to other low-size video game music formats (tracker modules, OPL songs, stuff handled by Game Music Emu...) but not streamed audio.
Viscra Maelstrom

i'd love to have a jukebox filled with module music. it could probably make for some great fun, though i'd imagine that sorting out all the module music would probably take a lot of time and effort to do.

i'd probably figure out how to work the user version myself for streamed audio anyway, though. i've a lot of music i associate with Doom rather fondly.
Viscra Maelstrom

not sure if this is a bug related to the mod or not, but most, if not all, of Bobby Prince's track for Duke3D just refuses to playback with the Microsoft synth. playing them with FMOD works fine, and none of Jackson's tracks seem to be affected.
Gez

Post by Gez »

All 42 Duke songs are strictly bit-to-bit identical to the songs contained in DUKE3D.GRP, which you can check for yourself if you have SLADE 3 and Duke 3D.

Speaking of which, there are six additional Duke 3D songs in VACATION.GRP (Duke Caribbeans: Life's a Beach), composed by Jenna Ramsey. They're not bad. Fun fact: they were plagiarized by Metabolist and are responsible for getting the original Freedoom repository nuked, which is why everything before version 6.4 is missing from Freedoom's current repository.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”