ZDoom 2.8.0 and ACC 1.55 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: ZDoom 2.8.0 and ACC 1.55 released

Post by Blzut3 »

What distro performs these checks? This is the first I'm seeing or hearing about these problems in the years I've been making the packages like this.
allcaps

Post by allcaps »

Xubuntu 15.10

The readout I posted is given to you by the software center gui, but just using dpkg in a terminal doesn't complain. Though I did actually check in the /usr/bin folder and sure enough the files end up owned by my user account instead of root, which is not right.

The .desktop that gets created is also flagged as executable, which is also not right. The ownership is also set to 1000:1000 when it should be root instead. The .png icon you install is also marked as executable.

Depending on how your system's users/groups are numbered user 1000 could be anybody, or nobody. Same for group 1000. The short version of the problem is that pretty much all the files in the package are owned by user/group 1000, when they should be owned by 0, which is root.

After chowning all the files to their proper owner:group (root:root) everything works fine. I mean it worked fine before, but it isn't right/secure. Especially on a system that doens't have user:group 1000, you end up with unowned files, which is a security problem.

Aside from that the release is pretty fucking bangin', I have to say.
Nash

Post by Nash »

edward850 wrote:At this stage it's unrelated. No actual syntax exists for the VM yet other than the function blocks in decorate. It'll depend on if the eventual syntax is capable of handling it in a way that won't fall apart if the chain is changed mid function (for example an actor is removed or spawned mid iteration).
That's not a yes or a no, I understood nothing by reading all that. :S

I'm just going to assume that eventually modders will get some kind of low level access (because this is what was advertised with DoomScript, back in 1999) so maybe there'll be better ways to go through actors than using for loops in ACS with TIDs. But I don't know anything, that's why I asked my original question.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

The answer is that there is no answer. The VM by itself has little to do with the ability to iterate a volatile list.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Right. Anyway, found this cool little nugget of information from the past, I hope this will come into fruition eventually. :D
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:Just a generic question, I don't know the internal workings so just answer as a simple yes or no.

Will the scripting technology eventually allow you to iterate through actors without using TIDs in ACS? One of the biggest problems with anything ACS-based for now is having to assign TIDs just to count through and iterate through a group of actors (completely undesirable if the monsters already have TIDs assigned as part of map design).

Without such a feature, it'd be unsuitable to replace native code which is the long term plan.
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

Will there be a 2.8.1 bugfix release? There have been several things fixed since 2.8.0 that would be great to have in the next official (stable) build.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I have an idea for a "UniqueId", there's no need to use tids or tags but, if something in the map has changed, the uniqueid will change :X
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Nash wrote:Will the scripting technology eventually allow you to iterate through actors without using TIDs in ACS?
Of course. You'll be able to refer to objects directly instead of obliquely via IDs.
edward850 wrote:No actual syntax exists for the VM yet other than the function blocks in decorate.
Not quite true. See zcc-parse.lemon. It doesn't generate code yet, but it does mostly generates an AST.
MTrop wrote:Will there be a 2.8.1 bugfix release?
Yes, probably this weekend.
ibm5155 wrote:I have an idea for a "UniqueId"
:thinking:
Nash

Post by Nash »

randi wrote: Of course. You'll be able to refer to objects directly instead of obliquely via IDs.
Will this interface be possible only via ZScript, or can I use it from ACS too? Like... let's say I wanted to write a compass that blits the enemies' positions to the screen. The old way requires every monster to have TIDs.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, ACC is too primitive for that.
Nash

Post by Nash »

That's what I thought... then what about drawing 2D stuff to the screen? I'd rather ditch ACS for those kinds of things to be honest.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hopefully a new scripting system is open enough to handle that part of the game, too. The more general the language, the better the chance.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

So I see, 2.8.1 is already online but linked nowhere? What gives?
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Funnily enough I already got version 2.8.1 with the debian packages! :D

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”