Hexen: a Morte [Released]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HexenMapper

Hexen: a Morte [Released]

Post by HexenMapper »

Worlds collide in this extensive Hexen mod
Berlin, 1945. Things are heating up and Inside an old church a cabal of Nosferati begin opening portals, looking for another realm to evacuate to. Unfortunately for them they come across an arachnid-infested mausoleum, where a hero awakens...

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ftbl3pbsc ... te_448.rar (.RAR)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oxo4tubu6 ... te_448.zip (.ZIP)
Runs in GZDoom or Zdoom with the hexen.wad. GZDoom is recommended.

Note this mod is made for seasoned Hexen players. It will be difficult on higher difficulty settings. Be prepared to actually use your items if you want to survive - even those discs of repulsion!

Features:
  • 3 new hubs. 15 maps in total.
  • New Weapons: Revolver, MP40, MG42, Winchester, Recharging Apotheosis, Panzerfaust, and a Scoped Mosin Nagant.
  • Custom Monsters: 4 types of spider, Nosferati, MP 40 wielding Nosferati, Crocodiles, 3 Types of Wehrmacht soldier, Panzer IIIs,
    T-34/85s, 3 types of Cultist, faster and more powerful versions of normal Hexen enemies, 'Caleb' Winchester sniper complete with voice acting, Attack Dogs, and a few others who I wont spoil.
  • Custom Sound effects and Music for each level
  • Custom Textures, many from Blood, Outlaws and Realms of the Haunting. Some taken from real life images.
  • All Hexen weapons and items retained, mod is about the combination of traditional Hexen items and firearms.
  • Secrets
  • Full difficulty and class support, 4 player starts for co op play. (I plan to add more monsters and balance for co op eventually)
  • Swimmable deep water/lava/sewage
  • Fast paced gameplay, more emphasis on dangerous combats than puzzle solving, but still with some traditional hexen puzzles and the odd "what the hell did that switch do?" moment
  • Many scripted events and cross-map triggers, including a massive battle with ~20 tanks, buildings being destroyed, and multiple polyobject crushers with player-controlled timing.
  • Destroyable walls
  • Custom voice acting for bosses and the player. Voice acting is much less frequent than Blood or Realms of the Haunting.
  • Tested on Zdoom and GZdoom with dynamic lights.
  • Realistic weapon magazine sizes and reload animations.
  • Enemies have to reload
  • Most maps designed to be wand-started for more challenging one-off missions
Trailer:

Notes about Current Version:
  • The mod complete. Could do with a bit more playtesting and possibly some balance (Also plan to balance for Co Op at some stage)
  • (Zipped) File size is 39MB.
  • You may need to set keys "5" and "6" to weapon slots 5 and 6 in your controls menu. Make sure you have a reload and altfire bound as well.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
GZDoom Screenshots with Dynamic Lights:
Spoiler:
Gameplay:
Spoiler:
Weapon Layout:
Spoiler:
Map Layout:
Spoiler:
About the Author:
I'm a trained composer and have been making maps in doom builder for a couple of years now. I've been learning as much as I can about ACS, DECORATE and SNDINFO, and playing a lot of retro FPS' to get some inspiration. I learned a lot making this mod, and am now pretty comfortable with DECORATE, ACS and SNDINFO, as well as MAPINFO. I even learned the ZSDF for this project!

Credits:
I've used a lot of elements from Realm667 and various sprite sheets I found online. Here is the current list of credits:
http://pastebin.com/H4J31mXB
Also used some textures from Zblood, the outlaws texture wad and the ROTHTEX.wad

Last edited by HexenMapper on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:00 am, edited 57 times in total.
jdredalert

Re: a Morte - Hexen mod and mapset (70% complete)

Post by jdredalert »

That's an interesting concept. Will download and try it later.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

This looks great! Although I would recommend moving the old weapons entirely and just go with new ones.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

I like what I see.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

can i ask you Mod creator if you know what the title means?

i cut it out for ya it means "To Death"

Unless your italian (in questo caso dammi un cinque) i made you learn something today
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Redead-ITA wrote:can i ask you Mod creator if you know what the title means?

Or it could mean "the Death" if it's in portuguese.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Looking forward to playing the final version of this. I enjoyed the early demo and this looks even better.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

This looks good looking forward to seeing this finished
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Redead-ITA wrote:can i ask you Mod creator if you know what the title means?

Unless your italian (in questo caso dammi un cinque) i made you learn something today
It was supposed to be "from death" in Latin , but "to death" works too.
"de Morte" might be more correct if I wanted to go for "from Death", but I'm not too worried.
HexenMapper

Re: a Morte - Hexen mod and mapset (80% complete)

Post by HexenMapper »

Now available for download! (See Description)
First 5 maps are complete. Second hub is in the later stages of completion, but still quite a bit of work to do.

Enjoy playing! I mostly playtest on Hard (Warlock/Cardinal/Bezerker). Nightmare may give difficulties because some of the enemies are already very fast.
osjclatchford

Re: [DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE] a Morte - Hexen mod and mapset

Post by osjclatchford »

This looks absolutely outstanding. Not tried it yet but from the screenies it kinda looks like a fair mix of hexen and rtcw gameplay... keep at it :wink:
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

HexenMapper wrote:Now available for download! (See Description)
First 5 maps are complete. Second hub is in the later stages of completion, but still quite a bit of work to do.

Enjoy playing! I mostly playtest on Hard (Warlock/Cardinal/Bezerker). Nightmare may give difficulties because some of the enemies are already very fast.
Will there be more content for this mod to go with the new HUB's Like new weapons/spells , new enemies, new items to empower your character?
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

The Thing Thing wrote:
HexenMapper wrote:Now available for download! (See Description)

Will there be more content for this mod to go with the new HUB's Like new weapons/spells , new enemies, new items to empower your character?
Yep, there are many many new enemies and weapons, and a new powerup. Its all in the "Features" in the OP.

I count 17 new enemies, and 7 new weapons in total!
Spoiler:
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

HexenMapper wrote:
Spoiler:
I knew about the stuff in the OP, What i meant to say was will there be more stuff implemented in the mod as you make more levels for the mod.
HexenMapper

Re: [DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE] a Morte - Hexen mod and mapset

Post by HexenMapper »

@The Thing Thing
My plan at this stage is to finish it at 2 hubs. I think the 10 maps I have already will be enough, and I just want to finish the second hub up to the final boss fight and get everything cleaned up and working correctly. If once I'm at that stage I still want to continue, I will start planning out a 3rd hub.

I still need to finish maps 6,8,9 and 10. Some only with minor detailing, and some with substantial building still to do.

I've been messing around with the weapons a bit today, Made the hexen weapons take preference, and fixed the MP40 ammo boxes. Also tried to add the winchester to slot 7, but my KEYCONF skills are failing me. Have also been building more of "Triptych Crypt"; coded and tested a very nice bladed grinder that travels along a path, spinning.

It would be pretty cool to add the German Mauser rifle though, and I would consider it as another addition to slot 7 if I can find some nice sprites

I have been tentatively thinking about a S.T.A.L.K.E.R-esque hub, in a "poisoned wasteland", and introducing a Geiger counter (or some magical equivalent), some more modern weapons like a grenade launcher (I'm looking at the Shadow Warrior version) and perhaps a soviet pistol like the TT-30 as a companion to slot 1. I already have an enemy using a TT-30, So I'd just need to work out some sprites and whip up the code.

Are there any weapons you'd like to see in this mod? magical or real?

A nice idea might be to have the player able to mutate into a half-spider for a while, kind of like a powerup, and poison enemies and move very fast. Not too sure how I'd implement it, but it would be very fitting to the mod.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”