[Map] The Streets

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DukeWooze

[Map] The Streets

Post by DukeWooze »

So I wanted try my hand at mapping and I wanted a little feedback on it.

The map is called "The Streets" Kind of a Duke Nukem inspired map. Here is a YouTube video of it and I have a download link also.

Download

I'm tossing the idea of a 5 map series with it in my head. Maybe I'll do it, but I'm not sure though.

Anyway I hope you enjoy it and if you have any advice, feedback, or feel like crushing someone's dreams :cry: let me know!

Oh yes I almost forgot. This map is in UDMF format so you might need GZdoom to play it but I'm not entirely sure. I haven't tried it on regular zdoom.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Map] The Streets

Post by ramon.dexter »

Not bad. Nice work with the stock textures. But one advice - learn how to use texture scaling for even better versability. Some of the doom object are just absurdly large (texture PANBOOK for example - looks way better with scaling factor of 2, and also with scaling, the textures are sharper).
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Yeah I made some maps before a few years ago and I wanted to give it another shot. I noticed all the cool things you can do with GZdoom Builder. Pretty much makes Doom into a build engine game. Not that I modded or mapped with that engine before but still it's really incredible what you can do. I think next time I'll experiment with 3D floors and underwater. Or at least the fake "3D Floors"
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Looks pretty good to me :) I'm new to ZDoom myself and I'm amazed at how much you can do with the engine now. I definitely see the Build influence with the everyday objects constructed out of sectors (I like the use of the small grid flat as a keyboard), and nice use of slopes with the arches and so on. One thing that people told me when I started out was to have more enemies that come at you from the side rather than being obvious when you enter a room, like you did on the roof.

The only thing that stuck out to me was that the lift ride to the roof is absurdly long, with nothing happening - an opportunity to surprise a player there? :)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Lookin' good! I like all the nasty little surprise sniper angles the enemies can come at you from.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Great map, fun stuff! Great flow to the level, really fun atmosphere, fun details like the bathrooms and rooftops etc, I like!
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

A great map, really great map. i played it and it was great, with a duke3D Feel. (and a little wolfenstein (look at the book with a swastika or something))
BFG

Post by BFG »

very good job, it takes me back to the old Legacy days of the early 2000's, it reminds me so much of the maps from back then which is a good thing
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it! When I get the time I might try to make some new maps using new textures. Also, about those old Legacy maps. Could you tell me more about them? Like which maps are you referring too? I played some old Megawads before and I'm with you on those old styles, I think they had the right amount of detail. I also enjoyed Megawads like New World 2 and Alien Vendetta. I wanted to make some maps like that one day.

Return to “Levels”