[Release] Brutal Doom Voxel Patch 3.2.1 (Updated 01/22/2016)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valken

Re: [Release] Brutal Doom Voxel Patch 3.0 (Updated 01/08/201

Post by Valken »

I frankly love the new sprites in BD and thanks for the new VOXELS!
The Bright Side

Post by The Bright Side »

OH BOY!! You literally dropped this one 2 hours before my LAN party tonight. This is good. This is very good. :-) Thanks man!
zedas

Post by zedas »

The Bright Side wrote:OH BOY!! You literally dropped this one 2 hours before my LAN party tonight. This is good. This is very good. :-) Thanks man!
High five! I love old school LAN parties. I hope nothing explodes. :geek:
The Bright Side

Post by The Bright Side »

Only the right things.^^
Niga619

Post by Niga619 »

maybe a dumb question but when i use the voxel patch 3.0 i dont need to download the other voxel like hellspawn and aspergers?
zedas

Post by zedas »

Niga619 wrote:maybe a dumb question but when i use the voxel patch 3.0 i dont need to download the other voxel like hellspawn and aspergers?
Nope, that is no longer necessary.
Valken

Re: [Release] Brutal Doom Voxel Patch 3.1 (Updated 01/09/201

Post by Valken »

This is great and I noticed some of the colors were different between BDv20 and BDv20b mod. For example, the candles are white in the B version.

Can you update the pack so it matches Sgt Mark's Sprites?

Also, would you be able to update this for Project Brutality so it matches its sprite as well? If not can you post or link a tutorial so we can have a go at it?

Thanks
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Awesome update! Thanks! :D
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

I get a bunch of errors when using this addon with the Brutal Pack (which is built on 20b) that say:
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 2:
Voxel "canda" not found
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 7:
Voxel ... not found
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 13:
Voxel ... not found
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 18:
Voxel ... not found
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 24:
Voxel ... not found
zedas

Post by zedas »

Skrell wrote:I get a bunch of errors when using this addon with the Brutal Pack (which is built on 20b) that say:
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 2:
Voxel "canda" not found
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 7:
Voxel ... not found
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 13:
Voxel ... not found
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 18:
Voxel ... not found
Script Error, "BD_voxel_patch.k3: voxeldef.txt line 24:
Voxel ... not found
A word beforehand. It often bugs mod creators and people who work on this sort of thing when people come at them with weird compatibility errors that don't have much to do with what the mod is designed for. Phrasing your queries more politely like say, "I was trying your mod with this other mod and found some compatibility problems. Would you be able to help out or share your thoughts?" instead of "Your mod and this mod that you may have never heard of/tried don't work together. Fix it!" will make mod authors/maintainers far more inclined to help out.
/EndRamble

Anywho, more information is always good. Is your game crashing? Is that just an error? What's your load order? Are you using GZDoom or Zandronum? What version of GZDoom, the older stable version, or the new development ones?

What that error is saying is that the voxel file itself isn't being found. I don't know how this has been accomplished without going into the voxel patch (BD_Voxel_Patch.pk3) and actually removing the files. Also there is a "p" missing before the k3 in the file name. That's kind of worrying, not sure how you got that.

I went and downloaded the Brutal Pack. I see it's a Brutal Doom sub-mod that's built right on top of Brutal Doom itself and it is (partially) updated to version 20b. I tested it out and did not receive those errors. I did receive three minor errors: The Brutal Pack barrel isn't updated to 20b (may cause slight behaviour difference in barrel), the Brutal Pack goggles aren't updated to 20b (20b uses a longer set of renamed animation sprites, so you wont see the voxel for this), the Brutal Pack renamed the shotgun casing sprites to REDC instead of CAS2(you won't see a voxel when the shotgun casing flies). None of these errors stop Brutal Pack from running or from working just fine.

This was my load order for testing:
[doom.doom2.commercial.Autoload]
Path=lights.pk3
Path=brightmaps.pk3
Path=Addon\DoomMetalVol4.wad
Path=Addon\BP V8.pk3
Path=Addon\BD_Voxel_Patch.pk3

Apart from all that stuff, I'm not sure what to tell you. :?
Last edited by zedas on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zedas

Post by zedas »

Valken wrote:This is great and I noticed some of the colors were different between BDv20 and BDv20b mod. For example, the candles are white in the B version.

Can you update the pack so it matches Sgt Mark's Sprites?
I'm aware they're a different colour I didn't/may not feel it's a pressing enough concern to warrant a change just to have them be exactly the same. I am working on an update to give the candles and candelabras sprite flames and voxel bodies. They aren't included yet cause I wanted to get the update out the door. I MAY see about changing the candle colour as I work on them.
Valken wrote: Also, would you be able to update this for Project Brutality so it matches its sprite as well? If not can you post or link a tutorial so we can have a go at it?
This started first and foremost as a personal project to get what I wanted to see into the game. I'm still something of a novice at voxel-ing. For example, I wanted to create a double detail version of the original shotgun. The shotgun is possibly the easiest gun to do, and after a couple hours of doodling on and off this is as far as I am

Not too bad, but probably still some refinement to be done.

Project Brutality has A LOT of weapon and item sprites and in all honesty I'm not really that interested in working on them for a mod that I don't play, especially since there is lots more that can be done for vanilla Doom and Brutal Doom.

If you're interested (or anyone else for that matter)in making voxels of your own, Voxelbro the progenitor of a lot of this stuff made a nice little starter tutorial here http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=45680 It's a great primer. Heck if you crowd sourced and got ten people to do a few voxels a piece you'd be done in no time.
Valken

Post by Valken »

Hi Zedas,

Your shotgun looks GREAT! That is huge improvement over the original shotgun.

I noticed when using your Voxels with Project Brutality that there were some sprites and some voxels hence the request. I completely understand there are many sprites hence would like to assist if I can. I'm one of those who have no artistic skill whatsoever but I'm will to try and contribute back.

You are right a group effort for any project would get things done!

Thanks for that tutorial. I will look look at it after the I'm done with the mundane of the "real world".
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

zedas wrote: A word beforehand. It often bugs mod creators and people who work on this sort of thing when people come at them with weird compatibility errors that don't have much to do with what the mod is designed for. Phrasing your queries more politely like say, "I was trying your mod with this other mod and found some compatibility problems. Would you be able to help out or share your thoughts?" instead of "Your mod and this mod that you may have never heard of/tried don't work together. Fix it!" will make mod authors/maintainers far more inclined to help out.
/EndRamble

Anywho, more information is always good. Is your game crashing? Is that just an error? What's your load order? Are you using GZDoom or Zandronum? What version of GZDoom, the older stable version, or the new development ones?

What that error is saying is that the voxel file itself isn't being found. I don't know how this has been accomplished without going into the voxel patch (BD_Voxel_Patch.pk3) and actually removing the files. Also there is a "p" missing before the k3 in the file name. That's kind of worrying, not sure how you got that.

I went and downloaded the Brutal Pack. I see it's a Brutal Doom sub-mod that's built right on top of Brutal Doom itself and it is (partially) updated to version 20b. I tested it out and did not receive those errors. I did receive three minor errors: The Brutal Pack barrel isn't updated to 20b (may cause slight behaviour difference in barrel), the Brutal Pack goggles aren't updated to 20b (20b uses a longer set of renamed animation sprites, so you wont see the voxel for this), the Brutal Pack renamed the shotgun casing sprites to REDC instead of CAS2(you won't see a voxel when the shotgun casing flies). None of these errors stop Brutal Pack from running or from working just fine.
1. I wasn't implying any fault on the part of your mod by posting this but rather just looking for a bit of direction into solving it.
2. You're right, my post comes across as overly terse and I apologize for that. I should have put a little more thought into it. :-/
3. The "p" missing was my bad.
4. I'm using GZDoom 1.8.10 and in addition to Brutal Pack I added the following mutators: V20 Rocket Launcher.pk3, V20b Rifle.pk3, V20 Minigun.pk3

Once again, I enjoy your mod a great deal and meant no disrespect with my error.
zedas

Post by zedas »

Working on a new voxel to better match the Brutal Doom super shotgun

Sprite
Voxel
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

zedas wrote: This was my load order for testing:
[doom.doom2.commercial.Autoload]
Path=lights.pk3
Path=brightmaps.pk3
Path=Addon\DoomMetalVol4.wad
Path=Addon\BP V8.pk3
Path=Addon\BD_Voxel_Patch.pk3

Apart from all that stuff, I'm not sure what to tell you. :?
I tried EXACTLY the order and mods you have listed here and it did not work. What version of GzDoom are you using? Also, i'm wondering if the version of my doom2.wad is causing it. What version of doom2.wad are you using this with?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”