NAHDS Project (ZDoom HD item sprites)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: HD pickups (contributions appreciated)

Post by Captain J »

Death Egg wrote:I'll base it on the Episode 4 armor then when I get to working on it. I'll take some liberties in the fact I'll still make it similar in shape and color as the original sprite.

Also, stimpack and medikit is done:

now health kits are not edgy? that's healthy, new and good looking!
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Med kits look fantastic!
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

Thanks for all the kind words! I just finished up the berserk pack. Next up is the armors finally, which may take a bit since I have different things I'll probably try on them before I get to something I'm satisfied. After that will come the backpack, computer map, radiations suit, and the four spheres.

Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Death Egg wrote:Thanks for all the kind words! I just finished up the berserk pack. Next up is the armors finally, which may take a bit since I have different things I'll probably try on them before I get to something I'm satisfied. After that will come the backpack, computer map, radiations suit, and the four spheres.

awesome!! any idea when these will get added to the main mod in the OP?
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

I suppose whenever Jekyll gets around to updating it. At the moment he's the one responsible for compiling it while I work on the sprites themselves.
Lightsource

Post by Lightsource »

I made some details on the armors, based on promotional images of Doomguy. I kept the same pallete.

Here's the download link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/isbu29ndt88gr ... -HIRES.rar

And also added some details to the box.
Here
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

Holy shit, those armors are fantastic, they pretty much cover what I planned doing and then some! I like what you did with the rocket box as well in regards to the texture. I think though the wood could be a bit lighter like the original, partially to be truer to the sprite and also because it's a bit hard to read what it says on the box now. Still, thanks for improving them!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

SWEET MEGA-ABS, of course it looks super fantastic! but i still want to see 'em in episode 4 style, though. just edit 'em whatever you want!
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Hello all. Sorry for the silence; New Years is the biggest holiday in my country and I've just finished celebrating :)

So, first of all, I updated the file. The new health bonus, medikit, stimpack, berserk and armors are there now.

A few comments of mine.
Lightsource wrote:I made some details on the armors, based on promotional images of Doomguy. I kept the same pallete.
While I love the sprites and I think you did a great job I do have a few nitpicks in terms of the original idea of the mod.
The original idea was to create sprites that look as vanilla as possible while being HD. IMO there are some ground rules that should be followed so that this effect can be achieved.
First, obviously, the sprites should look generally similar to originals. Some deviations are possible, like a red strip on the Rocket (ammo) and slightly different shape of the armor bonus. I think your sprites are an acceptable deviation in that sense.
Second, the images should either use the original palette or colors that look very similar to that palette. Your sprites aren't exactly Doom's palette but they're close enough so I don't think it's a problem.
Third and the most difficult one: it should be a pixel-art image. I.e. they should use a lot of detail but this detail shouhld be created by hard lines and rather hard color gradients. I think Death Egg's keys and skull keys are the best examples of what I'm talking about.

So this is where these armor sprites aren't 100% what I'd like to see. They look more like digital drawings made into sprites rather than pixel-by-pixel created sprites. It's not bad, and I still included them in the mod (and they definitely look better than the current armors anyway), but I hope you understand what I'm saying. I originally wanted to see a set of sprites that look very much like original Doom, not like modern sprites, and I think this pixel art thing is an important part of the technique that allows to achieve this effect.

Check the attached image. You can see some differently-colored sprites on the chest region of the armor. I think that gradients should be harder, with clusters of similarly-colored pixels connected to clusters of pixels of other color. Like on the key (even though I'm ready to admit that the gradient on the forehead part of the skull may be a little too hard, but still).
illus.png

Now as for the rocket box I think it's really well-done but I wouldn't really like to put it in the mod. I think the texture on it is too pronounced, the coloring is wrong and it's hard to read the text. Honestly I think that Death Egg's box is better in the sense that it still uses a wood texture but it's much softer and the coloring is very similar to Doom. Take a look at this comparison and I think you'll get what I mean:
illus2.png
The other thing here is not that I just don't like the color or that you can't see letters very well, but that the color seems not very Doomish. For example there are wood textures in Doom that look quite similar to Death Egg's choice. Your box looks more like it's from Hexen than Doom.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

In regards to the way the armor looks in comparison to the skull key, and this is involving most of my sprites too, I think that it's mostly because it isn't I'm the limits of the doom palette. I've been considering converting all of my sprites over so to make sure they all look fine in software mode and to better match the doom style anyways. The keys already are in that palette.
Lightsource

Post by Lightsource »

It's ok, I understand what you mean. I usually don't follow the colors or styles that closely to the original because they are made with the limitations of their time, and so I think they end looking a bit silly when done the same in HD, I think it's always better to add some more details, while trying to stay close to the original. But thats a matter of personal preference.

I leave the Soulsphere sprites that I was working on, before I did the armor.

ImageImageImageImage
and a modifed box

When I start another sprite from scratch, I'll keep in mind what you said, still I hope you like these.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Since this project is kind of a separate independed thing now rather than a module of Beautiful Doom, Deaht Egg will soon take over the management and the decisions. Hopefully it'll live long and prosper :)

BTW I love that Soulsphere. The expression of the face is kinda different but it's still very impressive. I haven't seen any other HD soulspheres yet.

And that rocket box is much better. It'll be up to Death Egg now, so if he wants to the sprite will be in the PK3. But in any case these sprites are great and we'll keep them close. I'll post more info on how the PK3 will be managed soon.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

I like how the soulsphere turned out. Usually on most HD sprites having them look blurry like that just comes out looking messy and lazy, but on that it gives it an ethereal feel, which is perfect. The rocket box is much improved too!

On a different note, I've finished the backpack. Getting close to having all the HD items done!

Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: NAHDS Project (ZDoom HD item sprites)

I handed the mod management over to Death Egg completely, since he has a great grasp of what it is and I think now it's quite independent from Beautiful Doom.
The links in the first post have been updated. In the folder you'll always find the latest version.
hairylegs222

Re: NAHDS Project (ZDoom HD item sprites)

Post by hairylegs222 »

Please never let this die. I was searching endlessly finding Doom HD items. I really really hope the rest of the spheres get remade.

Thanks for the work thus far! :)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”