Volatile [5+1 maps out]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nightfall

Volatile [5+1 maps out]

Post by Nightfall »

5+1 maps out released now, grab it while it's hot! Download

Volatile is a WIP 15-20 map pack for ZDoom. One 5+1 episode is now released.

As the UAC have discovered new and intriguing properties of their nuclear waste over time, it has turned from waste into a valuable resource that is now being mass produced. The demons find it too radioactive to be good, so you need to fight them off the supply chain. Things go downhill from there.
Spoiler:
Spoiler: Screenshots
Last edited by Nightfall on Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Marnetmar

Re: [WIP] Volatile

Post by Marnetmar »

I am monitoring this thread.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

If there's anything I'm a sucker for it's cool, expansive alien skies. And large open areas. AND not to mention the great level design I'm seeing already in the screenshots.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Screenshots are great-looking, and by the sounds of it, it might be something I might actually play.

Looking forward to it.
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Damn man, those are some really nice screenshots there. Can't wait to play this.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

Thanks guys!
Abba Zabba wrote:If there's anything I'm a sucker for it's cool, expansive alien skies. And large open areas. AND not to mention the great level design I'm seeing already in the screenshots.
It's supposed to be Earth but I accidentally turned the moon blue. And now it remains blue because I kinda like it that way. Large open areas are go though.
AD_79

Post by AD_79 »

Needs more purple! Come on now, don't be shy!

Regardless of that, looks quite nice. I am seeing a few wall textures where flats should be (examples: the gray rocks in shots 1 and 4); personally I think it would look a lot better if corresponding flats were used. Interested to see how this plays, though. You say it'll focus on "adventure", and I hope you'll still be able to make it enjoyable and not have the maps just drag along. Some sets go for the "adventure" feel and the gameplay really suffers as a result...

Anyways, looking forward to getting my grubby little hands on this!
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

The "adventure" part mostly comes from that I'm trying to put some kind of inbuilt ""story"" to it, mostly some sort of progression and text screens (maybe episodes, not sure on that yet) and from the non-linear layouts... I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I know the purple's a bit lacking for now but I'll be putting more of that in.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

This looks... uh... like amazing. Really loss for words, serious. Screenshots are great. Maps look really fun to play. You maybe totally need to finish it! :wink:
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I'm really liking the skyboxes you're using. Level design looks like it'll be interesting to play through as well.
doony

Post by doony »

the level design is amazing, nice screenshots, I will love to taste this new textures, they fit perfectly the ambient you got there
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Earth but I accidentally turned the moon blue
I feel like this needs to be incorporated into the backstory somehow.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

Vaecrius wrote:
Earth but I accidentally turned the moon blue
I feel like this needs to be incorporated into the backstory somehow.
Hmm probably so yes. Though I'm kinda torn between two possibilities:
  • The moonlight began to dim so the UAC sent a team of cleaners to wax it up. However they got the orders wrong and they painted it blue instead.
  • An accident happened in one of UAC's moon bases which caused the moon to be flooded with water, which is blue as we all know.
I kinda like the first one more.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

Posted a map lineup of sorts. It's pretty apparent that episode 2 is progressing pretty well (indeed by far most of the screenshots in this thread are from it) and episode 1 is in many little pieces. This is because I originally wanted to do just a deep space episode but that went to hell because I can't organize anything. So what I'm planning on doing is trying to piece together some kind of episode 1 (I actually have an idea for its later episodes now that I think of it), pick up some old maps for it and stuff.

Ah yes. Now I can also use the fireblu torches. Also now that I think of it, the space station is supposed to orbit Earth. Which means that I'll need a suitable new sky... maybe I'll just nick the one from Lunatic.

Oh yeah and I am planning one or two more episodes after this but let's focus on these two now shall we? I'll try get them both released at the same time so we can have lots of fun playtime from the beginning. Or something like that.
Hey nutsackhat what's up with this stupid random bump you just posted in your thread
Fine fine have some screenshots. Including a few from space now that we actually talked about that.
Spoiler:
EDIT: Oh hey look it's my 512th post. Yays.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Looks amazing :D

I hate to ask this question because i know inspiration can't be rushed but when do you think you'll be able to release a demo of some sort?

Anyways i can say from the screenshots that it would be an amazing wad to play so keep it up :)

Return to “Levels”