[RELEASE] [ECWolf] Operation Serpent First Encounter

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[RELEASE] [ECWolf] Operation Serpent First Encounter

Post by Woolie Wool »

Download (27.2 MB)
Lossless HQ music pack (202.8 MB)

Three years in the making, my magnum opus is done!

My ninth Wolfenstein mod and fourth ECWolf mod, Operation Serpent is set in the year 1989, in the fictional central American country of San Salvación, just to the south of Mexico's Yucatán peninsula. A breakaway state from Mexico, San Salvación has been gripped by civil war and ethnic conflict since the 1950s. Frequently changing alignment between the Western and Eastern Blocs, and riven by tensions between the white "creole" elite and the mestizo and Native American majority, San Salvación is one of the most unstable and dangerous places on earth.

In 1988, San Salvacion fell into the hands of the fascist, white supremacist National Liberation Party, who have begun a campaign of genocide against their opponents. If that wasn't bad enough, rumor has it that thousands of dissidents, Communists, and "ethnic undesirables" have been delivered to the escaped Nazi war criminal Dr. Joachim Mörder, a biologist who experimented on prisoners in the Chelmno extermination camp in 1944. These prisoners have supposedly been used for genetic experiments that have turned some of them into super-soldiers and hideous monsters, stripped of their free will and mindlessly obedient of the fascist Salvaciano government.

You are Maria Cortez, a Mexican-American spy sent in by the pan-American anti-fascist organization AAM to gather intelligence on the experiments taking place within the borders of San Salvación and, if possible, shut them down. The Black Hawk helicopter that took you into San Salvación has been shot down and you barely escaped with your life. Armed with nothing more than a knife and a Glock 17 pistol, you find yourself stranded in a hostile country, on the run from the Salvaciano army.

Operation Serpent is by far my most advanced and radical mod yet, featuring enormous levels and a host of ECWolf features never seen before, and a unique aesthetic inspired by the art and culture of the late 1980s, including an original '80s metal soundtrack composed by Bashe and Shane Strife and performed on real guitars. A hand-edited COLORMAP with gradient sky effects and fullbright colors, an all-new roster of enemies and weapons, and Doom-style weapon bobbing and hitscan attacks make Operation Serpent look and play like no other Wolfenstein mod. Though it has only eight levels, each of these levels is four to six times the length of a standard Wolfenstein level. A new player should take 6-8 hours to complete Operation Serpent.

Requires Wolfenstein 3D v1.4 and a recent dev build of ECWolf to play. AMD Phenom II CPU or better required for adequate performance (Intel Core i3 recommended) on the later maps.
Last edited by Woolie Wool on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: [RELEASE] Operation Serpent First Encounter

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I'll have to give this a shot tomorrow, I've been looking forwards to this. Giant maps are always fun!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [RELEASE] [ECWolf] Operation Serpent First Encounter

Post by Captain J »

looks great, also glad i can see it in here!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Wow :) Impressive how far Wolfenstein has come :)
Olroda

Post by Olroda »

Haven't finished the first level yet, but it's quite impressive so far. It must have taken a while to make!
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

What is going on with the sky?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

SamVision wrote:What is going on with the sky?
ECWolf doesn't (yet?) have parallax sky support, so Woolie is faking it using specially prepared ceiling textures.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

wildweasel wrote:
SamVision wrote:What is going on with the sky?
ECWolf doesn't (yet?) have parallax sky support, so Woolie is faking it using specially prepared ceiling textures.
Hm, even once it does, what WW is going for in the outside environments may not look as intended what with the trees being textures.
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

The gradient sky is not a texture, it is a solid color a la the original Wolfenstein 3D, and the colormap is hand-edited to fade that particular color to a lighter blue rather than black. Since the same color is at the top of the foliage wall, the ceiling and wall blend together into a (mostly) seamless sky. The night sky is a ceiling texture.

The first screenshot kind of shows the limitations because the tile to the player's left is much closer than the rest of the scene and thus the sky color is rendered darker.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Didn't play this in a while, jumped back in and beat the first stage. I'm LOVING this so far. The AK is great!
EksFaktr

Post by EksFaktr »

Guess I need to check the forums more than once a month, because holy shit! *downloads immediately*

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”